Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2009 T-20 World Cup ?
Australia 6 6.45%
Bangladesh 0 0%
England 1 1.08%
India 66 70.97%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 5 5.38%
Netherlands 1 1.08%
Pakistan 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
South Africa 12 12.90%
Sri Lanka 1 1.08%
West Indies 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th June 2009, 14:24   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Another point, these guys play for BCCI, not Indian government, so there is no question of respect or disrespect.
They represent India, not BCCI.
BCCI is just managing cricket affairs in India.
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:37   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
OMG, India have lost!
Millions have got angered and lost their grip on life!
This is hilarious. Waahahahaha
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:40   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
They represent India, not BCCI.
BCCI is just managing cricket affairs in India.
They represent India, yes, but they are not paid by Indian government or the Indian public, they are paid by BCCI to represent India.
Opting out of a tournament is perfectly acceptable. Its same as an employee taking a break from stressful work for few weeks.
Problem is, in India the the public do not see cricket as a sport and have unrealistic expectations from the cricketers.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:44   #184
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

England has been knocked out. At least we have something to celebrate. Now let's hope Sri Lanka & Pakistan make it to the finals.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 14:45   #185
Senior - BHPian

Pak can never make it to the finals. It requires a lot to get there and they haven't got any!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 15:38   #186
BHPian

I still would place my money on South Africa -- unless West indies spring in a surprise
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 16:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Now we have two batsmen,Jadeja in addition to Dhoni,who still think T-20 is all about preserving own wickets and let other score.

RP is good choice though.

This is said just before the match and i was not proved wrong.
Dhoni lost us the match against WI and Jadeja did it against England.

If any sane human being had seen Jadeja batting in his previous 2 outings,he wouldn't have picked Jadeja even in 1st 15.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 16:54   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If any sane human being had seen Jadeja batting in his previous 2 outings,he wouldn't have picked Jadeja even in 1st 15.
Exactly how i felt all along. He bowled well and he can hold his bat, but he cannot score quickly, much like his captain now.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:37   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Exactly how i felt all along. He bowled well and he can hold his bat, but he cannot score quickly, much like his captain now.
BTW Dhoni's overall strike rate in T-20 int. mathes in 100,nowhere near it should be.Yet he used to be rated as best player of T-20 version by our media.
But now it seems honeymoon is over and media is after him,rightly so.

During the last couple of years many players like Rohit, Ghambir, Raina, RP, Ishant and quite a few other have made their mark.Seniors players like Sachin,Dravid Yuvraj,Harbhajan,Kumble,Viru have continued thei good form.

While the team has done well in all forms of cricket undue credit was given to him even though his share of these wins were not much which was initially expected of him when he burst into int. scene in 2005.

Now for the last few months he was really out of form and probably thats why he thought of promoting himself at no.3 so that it will give him more oppertunity to score runs and be in limelight.Indeed it was very selfish move which Indian team has to pay price for it.

There were many decision he took were wrong against Eng.In the end margin was so close that even one of them had it been made right,India could have won that match.

It all started with team selection and then winning the toss and choosing the bowl 1st inspite of the fact that its a do-or-die match and plaers can under pressure which was proved later while chasing meagre total.

From here on Dhoni never took any decision which had some logic behind it.As soon as Yuvi hit his 1st six the body language of Eng players was down and they must have thinking oh no not again.But he soon fell to pressure of chasing run rate of 10.

It still wouldn't have been allover had Mr.cool sent Yusuf higher tham him.Another disturbing thing which i felt that time and also by Kumble with Harsha is that Dhoni dint go for 2nd run on 5th b@ll of last over.

When India needed 8 runs of last 2, Dhoni should have thought that they have to go for atleast 2 runs if not 3,4 or 6 even if that means getting run out.
And i do belive that there were 2 runs on 5th b@ll which Yusuf wanted to take but Dhoni refused.Rest is history.

I said it before and i will say it again that he is most overrated player and time has come when we do give credit to those who deserves.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 17:58   #190
Senior - BHPian

Well said Rsjaurr! What was MSD thinking when he came 3rd down to bat in the initial matches?
That too when we had hard hitting batsmen like Yuvi, Yusuf Pathan, Raina in the line up!

Also in the initial team selection, he didn't opt for 2nd wicket keeper (Dinesh Karthik) though Dinesh had a fantastic IPL2, he was intent to keep his place secure!
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 18:15   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Also in the initial team selection, he didn't opt for 2nd wicket keeper (Dinesh Karthik) though Dinesh had a fantastic IPL2, he was intent to keep his place secure!
He wanted a 2nd keeper, but the selectors did not agree.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 22:27   #192
Senior - BHPian

I thought I'll watch the match today but seeing the same old team made me think otherwise. Couldn't the team management have given a chance to Pragyan Ojha and Irfan Pathan in place of Jadeja and Ishant??
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 00:34   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I said it before and i will say it again that he is most overrated player and time has come when we do give credit to those who deserves.
Same here never understood all the attention he got. Must have got to his head abit and he began to believe that he could win matches by slowing down games.

He has done well for a limited cricketer with greasy slick back hair on the money front though.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 00:48   #194
BHPian

Oh man, just can't believe they are now even failing to score 130 scored by RSA.

41 needed from 24, 5 wickets in hand.

Short of words I am, but India were suppose to be playing for pride here. In anycase I don't think MSD has the word pride in his dictionary didn't even went to collect his Padmashree, when he was just a few kms away from presentation venue.
Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 01:20   #195
BHPian

Worst ever played by India in T20 matches. Need to serious consider to stop watching Indian cricket.
cvvikram is offline   Reply With Quote