Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2009 T-20 World Cup ?
Australia 6 6.45%
Bangladesh 0 0%
England 1 1.08%
India 66 70.97%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 5 5.38%
Netherlands 1 1.08%
Pakistan 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
South Africa 12 12.90%
Sri Lanka 1 1.08%
West Indies 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th June 2009, 01:33   #196
BHPian

Total rubbish. I think these guys does't even care about what "we" the Indian cricket lovers feel. Out of the tournament, lost a match that would have saved a little pride left. No...! never shamelessly grinning.

It make one feel, our cricketers just don't care about the game.
Its all for the money and how many ad films they can sign up.

At the end of it all, I'm the fool who is up till 1:30am to watch this rubbish.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 01:54   #197
BHPian

Dhoni needs a Moin Khan type treatment, seriously.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 12:42   #198
Senior - BHPian

I just realised that the top 4 poll leader nations above are all correct. But not in the men category, the poll is absolutely correct in the female category. All 3 poll leaders India, NZ, Aust have reached the semi's pus with England.

So guys lets cheer for our women team, hope they do us proud.

I just heard that the Ladies winner of the T-20 world cup doesnt even get one tenth of the prize money that the men get. Isnt that shamefull?
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 12:47   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I just heard that the Ladies winner of the T-20 world cup doesnt even get one tenth of the prize money that the men get. Isnt that shamefull?
They dont attract 1/10 the crowd mens cricket does.

Whats the shameful part?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 12:49   #200
Team-BHP Support

Sorry I dropped in late. I am no circket nut but I have a friend who is. I told him before the Super 8's started that the final will be SL vs SA. He told me that SA are chockers when it comes to finals. Well in that case SL should win.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 22:14   #201
BHPian

Any of four teams in semifinal deserves to win the T-20 WC, more so SA and SL for they were undefeated in super stage and showed some guts when they were down, unlike India.

I would back SL to go all the way because of their bowling attack which has been the best attack here with 3 M's.

The lack of playing in domestic cricket by our players (once they are in national team) is reflecting on them as they have been found wanting playing even part-time spinners on slow surfaces.

@navin-Then count yourself lucky that you are India and not a cricket fan otherwise every 3-4 month you will have heart-break what we most Indians have
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 12:26   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
They dont attract 1/10 the crowd mens cricket does.

Whats the shameful part?
Maybe its not shamefull for you but yes its for me. The ladies put the same effort in playing cricket like the men do so IMO they deserve better treatment by the authorities.

Let ICC popularise the women's game, increase the prize money, more girls will get attracted to play cricket, there will be better competition automatically more crowd will come to watch.

If ICC waits till more crowd comes to watch then only they will increase the money, nothing will happen.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 12:54   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Maybe its not shamefull for you but yes its for me.
Ok, but i dont know why it would be shameful.

Cricket is no longer just a sport, its a big business too.

And Women's cricket has got a huge boost from BCCI. Try and see the number of new girls playing cricket now.

I dont get why BCCI should treat the Womens team on par with the Mens Team. When i mean on par i am talking about the money earned by the players. Facilites are the same for Men and Women playing cricket.

Men's cricket matches bring in the bread and butter with large amounts of honey for the Board. The Womens cricket dosent.

Its like this - at a corporate level who from sales will get a better hike? the the guy getting the maximum sales or the lady who dosent do equally well but asks for an equal hike because she is a woman?

If you are talking equality of sexes then why only cricket.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 10:56   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Sorry I dropped in late. I am no circket nut but I have a friend who is. I told him before the Super 8's started that the final will be SL vs SA. He told me that SA are chockers when it comes to finals. Well in that case SL should win.
Hmmm .... the Guess didn't work ;-)
Yep South Africa did choke in the semifinals, they lost to PAK by just 7 runs.
PAK for 2nd time in a row into Finals.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 11:05   #205
Senior - BHPian

HT is busy making a big deal over our player's fitness report. They were overworked all right. I guess none of the Pak players playing the IPL is paying off huge dividends. Having said that, SL players too played in the IPL. So whats wrong with the Indian Player's fitness. I hope the fitness incharge is not fired on these grounds.
Initially it was the bolwing dept, then the opening pair dept, then fielding, now it is the fitness. I hope everything gets sorted out before the 50 overs one day international ICC world cup championships. In 2011 is it ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 08:54   #206
BHPian

So it's going to be an all Asian final ! Whatever happens, the cup is going to remain in Asia, small consolation !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 10:30   #207
Senior - BHPian

Conspiracy Theory

Since Pakistan have been stripped as co-hosts of the World Cup (50 overs) - they are going to win this T20 WC.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 11:00   #208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Well in that case SL should win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Since Pakistan have been stripped as co-hosts of the World Cup (50 overs) - they are going to win this T20 WC.
NC even a guy who never watches cricket (not even that IPL stuff) caoud guess SL. I never even heard of this Malinga guy before. Saw his action and wonder if that action is legal. He sidearms the ball much like a baseball pitcher when throwing curves or sliders.

India is jaded. If I played cricket 24x7 and then was doing adverts instead of resting I'd be tired and jaded too. We put too much stress on our sportspeople (Paes, Anand, Dhoni, Sachin, etc..). If you see Dhoni in that AirCell advert you can see he is just going through the motions. It was like "ok we have 10min with Dhoni between net practice and his Pepsi time so lets get this in one take". Same with Sachin etc..
Old 20th June 2009, 11:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Indian players have played too much cricket, and have had too little rest. Plus the adverts and interviews.. But when I watch them play I expect them to win, everytime. I forget that they too are humans after all.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 12:28   #210
Team-BHP Support

After every game (tennis, circket, football or for that matter even chess) the parts of the body used need rest.

If you play any physical sport your body muscles will have minor tears, creaks, and twists and these have to be repaired or things only get worse. Countries that do well in a sport over a long period of time (in cricket for example Windies in the 70s, Australia in the 90s) rotate their players based on form, rest, condition, and demand.