Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who will win the 2009 T-20 World Cup ?
Australia 6 6.45%
Bangladesh 0 0%
England 1 1.08%
India 66 70.97%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 5 5.38%
Netherlands 1 1.08%
Pakistan 0 0%
Scotland 0 0%
South Africa 12 12.90%
Sri Lanka 1 1.08%
West Indies 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th June 2009, 14:20   #211
BHPian

@navin
you made some good points there.

Being a international cricketer in India is extremely tough, compared to other countries. But I don't think it has anything to do with physical fitness, but its more about mental fatigue now a days.
To make matters worse, India isn't strong in any other game, so the majority of Indian cricket fans are just cricket fans, they do not follow other sports to actually understand what it means to be a sports person and take the results in the right way. The reactions here are extreme for the same reason.

I just read the news that Indian team is already in west indies! So most probably they went directly from england to WI!
Cricket is no longer a game, its now a business. The BCCI, the Corporates, the fans - they rule the game now. Cricketers have no choice but to play along the tune.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 14:57   #212
BHPian

Well guys, the final is between two teams here who have totally managed to poll just one vote out of 93 for winning the cup ! So who is it going to be ? My money is in my pocket but I feel SL might just make it !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 14:59   #213
Senior - BHPian

As expected WI lost yesterday. Looks like an exciting final . Though i hate both teams. I would surely bet my money on SL. Though SL is relying too too much on Dilshan.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 15:04   #214
BHPian

I would bet on Pak winning this one. SL will fail on the big day.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 21:01   #215
BHPian

One common feature of both semifinals was that team batting 1st (Pak & SL) just went on and on despite losing some quick wickets either early or in middle and thats how they were able to make a good 1st inning total.

Dhoni had this theory of 'consolidation' and then going for runs at the end which never happened.This T-20 is really quick games and once a team is down in about 3 overs they would most probably lose it,infact yesterday it was just one over which probably cost WI the match.

Indian players were fatigued mentally more than physically which proved to be the major factor in the end.Not only that but also probably more than half of team was really out of form in IPL, the likes of Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni, Jadeja, Ishant, Harbhajan, Irfan, Zaheer.Even Yuvi dint have very good IPL.

So not only we carried out of form players to WC but unfortunately most of them were injured.Those who were quite brilliant in IPL were either not picked in 1st 15 (Nehra) or not played in 1st 11 (Karthik) and those who were in good form in IPL were injured (RP) in WC.

I do believe that a rest of 10-15days was good enough after IPL for fatigued players except for those who were injured.

Having said all this,the single most important factor IMO was lack of good strategy by our Captain.In match against SA,Pak captain played a master stroke by asking Afridi to play at no.3 which in the end was turning point of the match.We wasted Yusuf pathan at no.7 or 8 when he should have been batting at no.3.

BTW i am backing SL for they have best bowling attack at present.It all depends on how Pak plays Mendes,which could be the turning point.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 20th June 2009 at 21:05.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 23:40   #216
Senior - BHPian

How many here think this WC is rigged?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 00:40   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
two words, match fixing
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 01:19   #218
BHPian

No way Pak can win this Final, It will be SL Day, they will Crunch Pak and grab the T20 CUP . I bet ..... I bet ....
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 01:42   #219
Team-BHP Support

[quote=SilentEngine;1355131
I just read the news that Indian team is already in west indies! So most probably they went directly from england to WI!
Cricket is no longer a game, its now a business. The BCCI, the Corporates, the fans - they rule the game now. Cricketers have no choice but to play along the tune.[/QUOTE]

India is a cricketing country so in that case why do we have to only depend on 11 or 14 or even 24 players. With a billion people we should be able to sport 45-50 players of about equal talent. The IPL had 8 teams right? I assume that atleast 60 indians played the IPL. Another 30 did not play as teams did not carry their full strength to England (due to the added costs).

Why not choose a healthy, in form 20 out of the 90 (60+30) players you had.

Remember the team that one the 1st T20 was not a first-string team. I dont follow cricket much but from what I remember that team was expected only to make up the numbers.

T20 is a 20 over match. You dont need 5 strike bowlers. 2-3 will do if you have decent part timers who can chip in 2-3 overs or so each. You dont need a batsman who can bat 4 hours. A fully fit and in form second string batsman shoud do as good as if not a better job than an injured Shewag. Form and fitness should be the criteria not reputation. Did Yusuf Pathan have a reputation before the first T20?

Look at Nadal. He pulled out of a very prestigious tournament because he was not 100% fit.

Injured muscles take longer to warm up. Then once adrenaline kicks in the player does not feel the injury getting worse. and before you know it a an acute injury turns chronic.

I suspect the Indian team went to England to shop on Oxford street. Well they had their chance. I assume they have learnt not to take things so lightly.

Last edited by navin : 21st June 2009 at 01:44.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 11:40   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I dont think its rigged and i doubt if anyone has seen these matches live will doubt about matches being fixed.

@Navin-Yusuf Pathan has a reputation of being a hard-hitter of cricket ball.IMO he is tailor-made for T-20 because of his all-round abilities.He is better than a part-timer bowler and a decent fielder.

He has built this reputation in the last couple of yrs based on his performance.Just like Sehwag he can be out in 1st few minutes or can destroy any bowling attack.

He had very good IPL1 and decent IPL2.

Quote:
T20 is a 20 over match. You dont need 5 strike bowlers. 2-3 will do if you have decent part timers who can chip in 2-3 overs or so each. You dont need a batsman who can bat 4 hours. A fully fit and in form second string batsman shoud do as good as if not a better job than an injured Shewag.
I fully agree with you and this is what i have said before also.Extra batsman is a better option than 5th bowler because extra batsman will provide the security to go on attacking your opponents which the T-20 is all about.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 21st June 2009 at 11:44.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:13   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargava_sr View Post
No way Pak can win this Final, It will be SL Day, they will Crunch Pak and grab the T20 CUP . I bet ..... I bet ....
But right now the opposite is happening. Dilshan got out and the SL got exposed. I hope they atleast hit 140. Go Sangakkara go.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 20:27   #222
BHPian

SL Has lost 5 Wickets, not sure whats wrong with the Lions, There are not roaring on Pak. Hope Malinga will swallow all the Pak wickets to grab the T20 CUP
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 22:44   #223
BHPian

Guys its Pakistan which has won the 2nd T-20 WC,a very deserving and one sided win in the end.

Well done Pak team!
Old 21st June 2009, 23:04   #224
BHPian

well i guess india doesnt have the best T20 team anymore. Jeez they must be feeling...well...like crap. . Pak won cause they had spirit and determination and played like the underdogs, which they rightfully were.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:59   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jeez they must be feeling...well...like crap.
As they say, "The wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the one climbing it". Pakistan missed it by a whisker last time and they had that burning fire within.

To the Indian team, here are a few words from "The Eye of the Tiger" :

"So many times, it happens too fast
You change your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive"

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote