Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 23:08   #1591
BHPian
 
kap04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Bought a Casio Edifice couple of weeks back. Now i notice a time lag after it runs for 3-4 days. On adjusting the time, it runs again fine for a few more days, after which it starts slowing down again.

I didn't expect this from a Casio, as i have a G Shock which i didn't have to look back for the past 6 years or so.

Wondering what the issue might be ? Where in Bangalore you can find a Casio service center? I see one on MG Road, any other service centers ?

Last edited by kap04 : 24th September 2012 at 23:09.
kap04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 09:42   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
A watch I wanna own SNA411.

I have heard of/seen it but just got to know what all it can do.

The bidirectional rotating slide rule bezel is used for performing many types of calculations and conversions like:

Rule-of-three calculation
Square root calculation
Time, speed and distance calculations
Fuel consumption rate
Fuel quantity required
Remaining cruising time
Climbing altitude, climbing rate, climbing time

Unit conversion scale: Nautical mile, Statute mile, Kilometer, feet, US Gallons, Imperial Gallons, Kilogram, pounds, fuel pounds, oil pounds, miles per hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
New addition! SEIKO - SNA411 P1
nooooo!!!! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Yup JK I recently brought the watch. The watch is beautiful but these stated calculation needs a microscope as the prints are very small.

check the photo around pg 95.
How much did it cost you and from where did you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
Thanks! I also like the classic look this watch carries and it fits well on my thin wrists.

It is a Seiko 5 Automatic (Model No. SNX111K1) with see through back. I ordered it from a Hong Kong based online watch store. Cost me Rs.3840 (with free shipping, luckily it sailed through without any customs duty).
Great! Please pm the link if you can

I know what I wanna buy if I have $.
TISSOT LE LOCLE AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH VALJOUX. Its very beautiful. The pix dont do justice. Hope I can atleast I can get the lower priced Le Locle sometime soon.

Last edited by jkdas : 25th September 2012 at 09:43.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:13   #1593
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Can clocks come in?
I did this myself, from the last visit to the workshop.
The needles are now ply coated with white paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own-dsc_0950.jpg  

mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:36   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,476 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can clocks come in?
I did this myself, from the last visit to the workshop.
The needles are now ply coated with white paint.
Interesting. You need to mark the 12 o'clock position though!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:42   #1595
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 3,174 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Interesting. You need to mark the 12 o'clock position though!
I know.
Well, Since I made it, I know very well how to read it, but for my family, its a nightmare!
for eg, to set 12 o clock, the battery has to be parallel to the ground, the top is then 12.tried and lost the effort to explain that.
Its more of a "ballpark" time machine, to hustle you towards a regular watch/phone to catch the right time.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:51   #1596
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can clocks come in?
I did this myself, from the last visit to the workshop.
The needles are now ply coated with white paint.
Looks very good but the hands are wrong. Get something industrial looking. Like polished aluminum. And ragged.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:54   #1597
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,240
Thanked: 819 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can clocks come in?
I did this myself, from the last visit to the workshop.
The needles are now ply coated with white paint.
Very ingenious! Maybe you could cover the outermost metal circle [the one with the holes in it] with a matte black vinyl sticker and then calibrate neon or radium hours of the day on it.

EDIT: I guess the metal numbers that are used on embossed or high security reg'n number plates would look good too!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 25th September 2012 at 10:57.
comfortablynumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 10:58   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,564
Thanked: 10,476 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yet to receive a phone call from them regarding the issue. Product was returned to a 'lifestyle' store. Will need to go there for follow-up this weekend.
What happened? Watch repaired / replaced?
-------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I know what I wanna buy if I have $.
TISSOT LE LOCLE AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH VALJOUX. Its very beautiful. The pix dont do justice. Hope I can atleast I can get the lower priced Le Locle sometime soon.
Here's a (lower-priced ) Le Locle I picked up a few weeks ago...
It's a Tissot Le Locle Automatic Power Reserve Gent. The Valjoux IMO is a very smart but understated watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
One of those spontaneous purchases. Did not plan to buy this, just happened to be love at first sight.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 13:00   #1599
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,410
Thanked: 14,168 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller
What happened? Watch repaired / replaced?
-------------------------------------------------

Here's a (lower-priced ) Le Locle I picked up a few weeks ago...
It's a Tissot Le Locle Automatic Power Reserve Gent. The Valjoux IMO is a very smart but understated watch.
Not impressed with the customer service from lifestyle. Went there yesterday, as they were not giving any useful info over phone. As expected, they didn't have any updates from factory. Promised to give a call by 11am today, and that deadline has come and gone too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 18:56   #1600
BHPian
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Must say this is highly a contagious thread...the last time I was here, a year ago, I ended up buying a Tissot PRC 200, which i absolutely love, and now I'm starring at even a bigger damage...

Anyway, I'm trying to choose one from a bunch of Omegas, Tags and Longines-s and would like some advise. The details of the watches are here

http://pinterest.com/arunone/watches/

While I'm very inclined to go with Omega, I see their entry ranges are Quartz and not automatic. I have read people generally recommending to avoid Quartz in high end watches. Is that the case?

I was looking at Ethos online store and in terms of cost, surprisingly, India prices seem to be very competitive compared to US & Europe. I also understand that I can expect at-least 20% discount over MRP which makes th deal even more attractive. Pls let me also what other stores in Bangalore i can check.

thanks for your time...
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 15:24   #1601
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,096
Thanked: 978 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Must say this is highly a contagious thread...the last time I was here, a year ago, I ended up buying a Tissot PRC 200, which i absolutely love, and now I'm starring at even a bigger damage...

Anyway, I'm trying to choose one from a bunch of Omegas, Tags and Longines-s and would like some advise. The details of the watches are here

http://pinterest.com/arunone/watches/

While I'm very inclined to go with Omega, I see their entry ranges are Quartz and not automatic. I have read people generally recommending to avoid Quartz in high end watches. Is that the case?

I was looking at Ethos online store and in terms of cost, surprisingly, India prices seem to be very competitive compared to US & Europe. I also understand that I can expect at-least 20% discount over MRP which makes th deal even more attractive. Pls let me also what other stores in Bangalore i can check.

thanks for your time...
Most of the high end watches have mechanical movement, but a few super accurate chronometers are still quartz. In general mechanical movements are preferred buy at this level.

Watch prices in India are generally lower than in Europe, especially when you factor in 10-20% discounts offered by big retailers.

I have no idea of Bangalore, but Delhi most of the muti brand retailers give upto 20%, while company operated single brand, do not.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:13   #1602
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I was looking at Ethos online store and in terms of cost, surprisingly, India prices seem to be very competitive compared to US & Europe.
Recently saw an ad in papers by Tissot saying they don't sell watches online in India, but the Ethos site lists Tissot. Any idea whether Tissot will accept warranty claims for such a purchase?
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:20   #1603
BHPian
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Recently saw an ad in papers by Tissot saying they don't sell watches online in India, but the Ethos site lists Tissot. Any idea whether Tissot will accept warranty claims for such a purchase?
I don't think Ethos sells watches online, they have a catalogue and they just allow to request for a quote
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:21   #1604
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Delhi/NOIDA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Recently saw an ad in papers by Tissot saying they don't sell watches online in India, but the Ethos site lists Tissot. Any idea whether Tissot will accept warranty claims for such a purchase?
Ethos do not sell online but through their chain outlets at various cities, prices given on their website are for reference purposes only and do not mention the amount of discount(s) on offer.
Puneet.S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:52   #1605
BHPian
 
nemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 168
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
Most of the high end watches have mechanical movement, but a few super accurate chronometers are still quartz. In general mechanical movements are preferred buy at this level.

Watch prices in India are generally lower than in Europe, especially when you factor in 10-20% discounts offered by big retailers.

I have no idea of Bangalore, but Delhi most of the muti brand retailers give upto 20%, while company operated single brand, do not.
Thank you aroy!

I also am leaning towards a mechanical movement. So I have to give Omega a pass for the time being until the next windfall. Tag has couple options in that space that meets requirement…would like to hear from others as well.

P.s. still saddened by Sam's loss and finding it very difficult to digest the news ever since I learnt it late last evening…
nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wallets thread - Which one do you own joe1980 Shifting gears 32 4th April 2016 00:00
And you thought you had the coolest watch !!! kalpeshc Gadgets, Computers & Software 14 22nd February 2009 13:27
Which Lamborghini supercar would you love to own? Dippy The International Automotive Scene 42 20th February 2008 13:30
Which off these would you preffer to watch? Shan2nu The International Automotive Scene 10 19th March 2004 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks