Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 19:41   #2146
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Finally my Panerai choice have been made for a pre-owned but very very special Panerai. I'm one of the 300 people holding this model in this world

I have purchased 2003 model Panerai Luminor Chrono Regatta PAM 00168 with blue dial (extremely rare from Panerai)

I do like the simple Panerai base models however I had a chance to choose one unique from Panerai hence opted to buy immediately.

At first I was not sure if it is original as I wasn't expecting to see a blue dial chrono from Panerai. Then this page in Panerai website resolved the mystery watch.

http://www.panerai.com/en/special-ed...-2003-pam00168


There you go some pictures of my Panerai Luminor Chrono Regatta PAM 00168, I will do a little polishing sooner and then post some wrist shots.

Which watch do you own-t2ec16nzufic4objhbsevtqzegq60_57.jpg

Which watch do you own-kgrhqjpifjvfpymbsevt9qllq60_57.jpg

Hope you guys liked it as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
While you all, still replying to my previous question now tell me which of the below three Panerai model looks good and why?

I'm planning to buy one in the future and the following three models are always in back of my mind. The steel bracelet Panerai in this list is 40mm dia and rest of the two are 44mm oversized ones.

Attachment 1085654

Attachment 1085652

Attachment 1085653
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 02:13   #2147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham, U.K, Jaipur (India)
Posts: 72
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Am late but allow me to congratulate you nevertheless. What an elegant and timeless watch! Its definitely got a retro/vintage feel to it but like you said, its perfect for some occasions. The vintage box adds to its charm

Great collection you have. Whenever you have free time, please try to upload a group pic
Apologies that I couldn't take the picture any sooner, but here is the group picture of the watches. However the family is still not complete as both the AP ROOs are missing. I will take them out and try to get every thing in one shot soon.

The all gold watch is one which wouldn't have seen the day light had it been not for this photo. My least favorite and the one which I never wears.

Individual pictures of most of these watches are already posted, but in case if you would like to see any close up or a picture from a specific angle then please do let me know and I will try to upload it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own-img_5018.jpg  

no_limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 06:46   #2148
Senior - BHPian
 
HammerHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Goan in Pune
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

My daily wear is a Casio EFR-519
Attached Images
 
HammerHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 09:21   #2149
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_limit View Post
Apologies that I couldn't take the picture any sooner, but here is the group picture of the watches. However the family is still not complete as both the AP ROOs are missing. I will take them out and try to get every thing in one shot soon.

The all gold watch is one which wouldn't have seen the day light had it been not for this photo. My least favorite and the one which I never wears.

Individual pictures of most of these watches are already posted, but in case if you would like to see any close up or a picture from a specific angle then please do let me know and I will try to upload it.
Beautiful collection and many thanks for posting! I would never complain if you post more pics hehe. Clearly you love Breitlings

Which is the all gold watch? I couldn't recognize it actually. Am not a fan of all gold though am softening towards 2 tone with SS having bought a Rado recently.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 10:33   #2150
BHPian
 
Firebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai / EC1M 3NH
Posts: 470
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Finally my Panerai choice have been made for a pre-owned but very very special Panerai. I'm one of the 300 people holding this model in this world I have purchased 2003 model Panerai Luminor Chrono Regatta PAM 00168 with blue dial (extremely rare from Panerai) I do like the simple Panerai base models however I had a chance to choose one unique from Panerai hence opted to buy immediately. At first I was not sure if it is original as I wasn't expecting to see a blue dial chrono from Panerai. Then this page in Panerai website resolved the mystery watch. http://www.panerai.com/en/special-ed...-2003-pam00168 There you go some pictures of my Panerai Luminor Chrono Regatta PAM 00168, I will do a little polishing sooner and then post some wrist shots. Hope you guys liked it as well.
I always wonder how easy or difficult to get hands on a good pre-owned luxury watch and hence decided to buy new Omega.

How did you manage to get this one?
Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 10:54   #2151
BHPian
 
james's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 545
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Try Ethos outlets. In Bangalore, they are available in the Commercial street outlet (near Safina plaza) and Orion Mall. So, I hope you can get them in Mumbai outlets as well.

Speaking of Safina Plaza, i was in blore over the weekend and dropped in at a watch shop in safina. He had 2 old Omega deville's for around 70k a pop. The owners were acting like snobs and werent giving me much info- They probably didnt take me too seriously.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:07   #2152
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I always wonder how easy or difficult to get hands on a good pre-owned luxury watch and hence decided to buy new Omega.

How did you manage to get this one?
It's a Gamble purchasing a preowned luxury watch, there are plenty of trusted jewelers and online sellers whom the deal could be made.

I will write more about my Panerai deal in a day or two.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 12:10   #2153
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Which is the all gold watch? I couldn't recognize it actually. Am not a fan of all gold though am softening towards 2 tone with SS having bought a Rado recently.
I strongly believe the all gold watch is a Omega Seamaster Automatic Chrono 18k gold watch. The bezel is offset anti clock side by 45degree or quarter circle hence the difference in the visual.

Last edited by trammway : 13th November 2013 at 12:12.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 09:21   #2154
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

Speaking of Safina Plaza, i was in blore over the weekend and dropped in at a watch shop in safina. He had 2 old Omega deville's for around 70k a pop. The owners were acting like snobs and werent giving me much info- They probably didnt take me too seriously.
Are you referring to the Citizen dealer inside Safina plaza complex? If yes, I agree. He's a big time snob. He was offering me Omega Constellation for around 60K, the watch was nice but that chap was a big turn off. Never went there again. The Ethos outlet I was referring is next to Safina plaza...in fact next to Krishna Chetty and Sons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I strongly believe the all gold watch is a Omega Seamaster Automatic Chrono 18k gold watch. The bezel is offset anti clock side by 45degree or quarter circle hence the difference in the visual.
Ah ok, thanks. Congrats on your Panerai!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2013, 14:58   #2155
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 131
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

My Victorinox chronograph. This is the only watch I have with the leather band apart from citizen. Going to change it to a nato. Leather gets sweaty.


Name:  image4124151206.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  484.8 KB

Need to fix the date on this.

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 23:30   #2156
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Wrist shot of my Panerai PAM168 Luminor Regatta Chrono 2003 special edition watch


Name:  image1388162632.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  435.6 KB
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 22:12   #2157
Senior - BHPian
 
dZired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,719
Thanked: 7,402 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

A close-up shot of my Fastrack Chronograph watch.
Which watch do you own-img20131005wa0005.jpg
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 03:34   #2158
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
I always wonder how easy or difficult to get hands on a good pre-owned luxury watch and hence decided to buy new Omega.
How did you manage to get this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
I will write more about my Panerai deal in a day or two.
After careful investigation of my watch in ebay and few email / ebay messages with the seller with the guarantee that if the watch is found to be fake I will return it for refund agreement. By this way I have established good records for future issues if any for which I need to fight the seller.

I have purchased my watch on ebay (first time for huge sum)

Here is what to be considered in USA if you are purchasing a product through ebay.

1. Ebay provides buyer protection - 95% of the time buyer wins if all the records are correct

2. Used my credit card to process payment through paypal - Paypal also got a buyer protection and credit card got some protection too.

3. Since the law enforcement is very strict, it is not easy for someone at USA to play with fakes and get away with it. examples:

a. All the ebay purchases are delivered through USPS or other couriers and if any fraudulent activities are subject to mail fraud claim (federal offence), and I have seen it worked in the past. The only down side it takes an year to get the claim.

b. If fake is sold through ebay and both buyer and seller are in US region (i will explain how this could be proven), this is subject to FBI compliant and strong case against the seller.

As we use paypal for payment and both are address verified accounts, you know you are dealing with USA based seller.

With all the supporting law enforcement and guarantee from ebay, I took the step forward to buy the watch.

Once the watch delivered (retained the box (with return address) and ebay invoice), I have taken the watch to Hamilton Jewelers in Princeton NJ who are authorized dealers for panerai for authentication of the watch.

Since this watch is very rare (remember 399 only produced in the entire world), Hamilton Jewelers couldn't identify the watch by look so they have to open the case back and check all the movement and do a pressure test of the watch.

Post all their test, only today evening they confirmed with a written paper that my watch is authentic Panerai PAM168 Luminor Regatta Chrono special edition watch. ( I have to pay total of $69.55 for the testings), now the watch will also get appraisal done for insurance as knowing it is authentic watch.

As mentioned, it is kind of Gamble but if you are buying it with a estimated risk I guess it will turnout well.

I'm still skeptical doing ebay purchases for higher value items from vendors of the world.

As far as the purchase is affordable to fortify, I believe it is ok.

Hope this explains my new purchase.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 08:05   #2159
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
After careful investigation of my watch in ebay and few email / ebay messages with the seller with the guarantee that if the watch is found to be fake I will return it for refund agreement. By this way I have established good records for future issues if any for which I need to fight the seller.

----------------

Hope this explains my new purchase.
Thanks for the useful post. Quite helpful. I had reservations against ebay or online shopping for watches earlier because I did not believe in wearing something which I have not tried on. But over the years, getting acquainted with the watches, specs like dia, lug to lug distance, thickness became easy to visualize. So now I do buy watches on ebay but don't spend big money like the PAM deal here. Its pretty safe considering that buyer is protected often. For folks in India, we just need to factor in shipping costs and duties are a hit or miss.

Last edited by JVH : 20th November 2013 at 08:06.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 09:46   #2160
Senior - BHPian
 
trammway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 1,122
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Its pretty safe considering that buyer is protected often. For folks in India, we just need to factor in shipping costs and duties are a hit or miss.
Obviously as I mentioned buying online in India for high value items are far from reality for the same law enforcement reasons.

If you even try to buy an item from USA sitting in India it is as good as buying it from an online Indian store, so I wouldn't recommend that for any of my country men.

Last edited by trammway : 20th November 2013 at 09:55.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wallets thread - Which one do you own joe1980 Shifting gears 32 4th April 2016 00:00
And you thought you had the coolest watch !!! kalpeshc Gadgets, Computers & Software 14 22nd February 2009 13:27
Which Lamborghini supercar would you love to own? Dippy The International Automotive Scene 42 20th February 2008 13:30
Which off these would you preffer to watch? Shan2nu The International Automotive Scene 10 19th March 2004 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks