Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th February 2014, 10:22   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I own the HTC One watch. My previous watch was Nokia Lumia 800.
Did I miss sarcasm or did you confuse watch with mobile?

I have Nokia 1100 watch, strongest watch created by mankind
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:27   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Did I miss sarcasm or did you confuse watch with mobile?

I have Nokia 1100 watch, strongest watch created by mankind
I thought the primary function of a watch is to tell time and my mobile also does that equally fine and in fact with higher reliability.

Of course, there is a multibillion dollar industry that is growing because it promotes a watch as a piece of jewellery. In fact, high end watches are often classified as jewellery in retail sales data of many countries.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:37   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I thought the primary function of a watch is to tell time and my mobile also does that equally fine and in fact with higher reliability.
It's like posting photo of train in cars forum, saying that as the primary function of a car is to take from point A to point B, a train does the same equally fine with higher reliability.

Watches, especially collectibles, are not just for telling time. They are to appreciate the beauty of mechanics, the intrinsic works on the dials and the intelligent functions a little gadget can do. In a way, they are forms of jewellery, as you rightly say.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 20:24   #2284
BHPian

At last got my Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military. Waited long for this one. Ordered in Sep 13 from Steinhart headquarter. Delivered 1 day after the person left US. Got it today atlast but the beautiful looking box it came with is still in US :(

Here are some pics

Which watch do you own-imageuploadedbyteambhp1392994264.013563.jpg

Which watch do you own-imageuploadedbyteambhp1392994302.226582.jpg

As i wear all my watches on NATO straps, ordered a very good looking one for it. Hopefully it will land next week

If I say i am happy with this one will be an understatement

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:10   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

A simple-looking watch that I picked up last week. Too busy (or lazy) to take my own pics right now, but here are a couple of representational pics from the internet. The best part is the large and clearly visible date window which has separate numerals.

Name:  Skagen 697XLRLB.jpg
Views: 1399
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  skagenherrenuhrslimline697xlrlbherrenuhrrosneu.jpg
Views: 1412
Size:  75.2 KB
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 00:31   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post

As i wear all my watches on NATO straps, ordered a very good looking one for it. Hopefully it will land next week

If I say i am happy with this one will be an understatement

-Ijeet
Where do you order your NATO straps from?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 01:30   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Where do you order your NATO straps from?

I use to buy from Crown n buckel but found another dealer at Ebay US. Its pricey at $18 each for nylon ones but quality is better.

Leather nato also is from ebay but it cost almost double than nylon.

Here is OVM on black n grey

Which watch do you own-imageuploadedbyteambhp1393012799.966470.jpg

-Ijeet
ijeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 17:13   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
A little while ago we discussed the pro and cons of having your watch serviced.
And, yes I'm very likely to put the Breitling, and the other watches, up for regular service going forward.

Jeroen
Jeroen:
Lovely detailed post as always. Enjoyed reading it. I have a Breitling Colt and a couple of Omegas, one a relatively new Seamaster and another very old Seamaster. All Automatics.

I visited the Breitling Dealer in Stockholm when I was there on a holiday and subsequently the Omega chaps too. Both dealers took a good look at my watches and suggested that I ought give them in for a "general checkup" at least once in 5 years, to ensure the continued good health of the watch. Typical lead times they said,would range from two weeks to a month. Rough Costs? Equivalent to Euro 200-250 per watch.

Cut to India, a few months later. I usually like going to Ethos Watch Boutiques. They are knowledgeable and look after the watches carefully. I am their customer and trust them. They told me that the service costs for each watch would be around Rs 9000/- and the lead time required would be around Two Weeks.
Now I met the Technician whom they employ for the servicing of these Swiss Automatic Watches. He seemed knowledgeable and well trained.

Im wondering now, whether to give my lovely watches for servicing or not. All of them keep excellent time and I just thought that it would be nice to change the rubber water-proof seals and generally have the watches cleaned and perhaps buffed to bring them back to looking as good as new.

I am rather enamoured of the Marque Frederique Constant and I love the designs and styling of some of their watches - very reminiscent of some of the truly classic Breguets and Patek Philippes. Wondering whether to indulge and when!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:30   #2289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Jeroen:

Cut to India, a few months later. I usually like going to Ethos Watch Boutiques. They are knowledgeable and look after the watches carefully. I am their customer and trust them. They told me that the service costs for each watch would be around Rs 9000/- and the lead time required would be around Two Weeks.

Now I met the Technician whom they employ for the servicing of these Swiss Automatic Watches. He seemed knowledgeable and well trained.

Im wondering now, whether to give my lovely watches for servicing or not. All of them keep excellent time and I just thought that it would be nice to change the rubber water-proof seals and generally have the watches cleaned and perhaps buffed to bring them back to looking as good as new.

I am rather enamoured of the Marque Frederique Constant and I love the designs and styling of some of their watches - very reminiscent of some of the truly classic Breguets and Patek Philippes. Wondering whether to indulge and when!

Love the Frederique Constant too. I have one of those too. Beautiful, very slim, very simple and elegant watch. Titanium with 18 carat cold case. Automatic. Leather strap. I typically wear it when we go out and we dress up.

I cant judge how competent those technicians you have met are. But here are a few considerations. I would check if they are formally trained and certified by whichever brand watch you want them to service. To give you some idea, with the Breitling there are three or four different technicians each with a certain speciality that do the service. Alternatively you can check with the respective manufacturer who is their approved or certified watch repair facility. Unless approved/certified by the respective manufacturer I would not leave my watch with them ever. These high end watches are complicated little piece of advanced engineering. You just don't want anybody to handle it. Also, they need to have access to approved parts and components and they need to have the appropriate tooling. So I would be very careful. Let me know what you decide.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 05:12   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cant judge how competent those technicians you have met are. But here are a few considerations. I would check if they are formally trained and certified by whichever brand watch you want them to service. To give you some idea, with the Breitling there are three or four different technicians each with a certain speciality that do the service. Alternatively you can check with the respective manufacturer who is their approved or certified watch repair facility. Unless approved/certified by the respective manufacturer I would not leave my watch with them ever. These high end watches are complicated little piece of advanced engineering. You just don't want anybody to handle it. Also, they need to have access to approved parts and components and they need to have the appropriate tooling. So I would be very careful. Let me know what you decide.

Jeroen

I am certainly going to be extremely careful. The good thing is that Ethos Watch Boutiques are truly India's first, organized chain of luxury watch boutiques. They do have a great reputation and I think it is a well deserved one.
As you suggest, I will talk to them first in detail before leaving one of my beloved watches in their tender care.
I will take my time over this.
In any case, my Omegas and Breitlings are all water resistant upto some huge depths, (to which I will never go, I might add) and they are sparingly used only when I feel like indulging in a piece of wrist adornment.
I am happy to use my more daily-wear Carrera quartz watches for normal running about.
(Incidentally there is a Frederique Constant model called runabout!)
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 19:44   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Which watch do you own-_dsc3911.jpg

Which watch do you own-_dsc3914.jpg

Got this as a gift.
Just wanted to ask the watch experts - how reliable are TH watches, in terms of ruggedness (scratch resistant) and the quartz system inside?

I know that TH is not a watch maker but a fashion brand and they only do the designing and someone else makes the watches for them.

PS - Picture taken with Sony A35 and Minotla 50mm f/1.7 lens.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th February 2014 at 19:49.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 21:27   #2292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Just wanted to ask the watch experts - how reliable are TH watches, in terms of ruggedness (scratch resistant) and the quartz system inside?
Not an expert, but have 3 in the collection, and I wouldn't buy another. Neither rugged, nor very scratch resistant. 2 have had problems within 1 year of buying them, necessitating leaving them with Titan's service centre for a few days (under warranty though).
Old 27th February 2014, 10:45   #2293
lsp
BHPian

Gents,
Having worn the heavy chronographs for a long time, my heart now wishes for something small, thin and sleek. Inviting suggestions from knowledgeable and discerning folks like yourself. Budget is close to $100, as I am sure I will go back to the chronos sooner or later.

Also, please suggest let me know if you have some feedback about the following (or Skagen brand in general):-
Skagen Men's 433LSL1
Name:  Skagen433lsl1StainlessSteelWatch_1_176_0_1.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  Skagen433lsl1StainlessSteelWatch_1_176_0_4.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  72.8 KB

$67 @ Amazon:-
http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-433LSL1...76451&sr=1-189

Video Review:-
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 01:39   #2294
Senior - BHPian

Skagen are great watches. I owe two of them and they run forever on one battery. I love the very slim models!
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 09:03   #2295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
...feedback about the following (or Skagen brand in general):-
Skagen Men's 433LSL1
Quote:
Skagen are great watches. I owe two of them and they run forever on one battery. I love the very slim models!
I've now got 2 Skagens as well - one for me (see post above), another bought last year for the wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
...a Skagen that the wife fell in love with.
Good, durable, smart-looking watches, except look out for how the band is fixed on in some of the models. The band only connects with the centre section of the spring bar, and wearing the band too tight (or a sudden pull on the watch) can distort the spring bar and make it pop out of the lug ends. Some have neat screwed-on straps though.