Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2017, 16:22   #2896
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 190
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Started to wear this after a long time:
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own-temporary_zpsfyy7jz7l.jpg  

Which watch do you own-temporary_zpsnqpf4xm4.jpg  

asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 17:02   #2897
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Hey guys, as a fellow watch enthusiast, it's great to see all the love for watches here. My brother and I, both collect watches, however, he's recently elevated his collection - the advantages of not being married, I guess :P

Here's my current collection:

Omega Seamaster GMT
Which watch do you own-omega.jpg

Tag Heuer F1
Which watch do you own-tag.jpg

Edouard Lauziers Tuscany
Which watch do you own-el.jpg

Casio G-Shock GA-1000-9BDR
Which watch do you own-gshock.jpg
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 17:51   #2898
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 70
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

I don't wear watches but of late i have been quite intrigued with automatics. So just got a chinese automatic from ebay to get familiar with the working and insides . Will open it up soon
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own-img_20170329_173215.jpg  

Which watch do you own-img_20170329_173235.jpg  

spookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 21:45   #2899
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

just picked this, PRS516







and then saw this too-->

https://www.ethoswatches.com/the-wat...-kohli-tissot/
AtheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 06:33   #2900
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Thanked: Once
Default Which watch would you recommend?

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for an automatic watch. My budget is between 30 to 50 K. Went through this thread a bit and understood a bit about the various brands, technology etc. All suggestions are welcome.

Presently own a Tommy Hilfiger automatic watch, however the watch stopped working a few days back.
Attached Images
 
Gausum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:58   #2901
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
Hi Guys,


Presently own a Tommy Hilfiger automatic watch, however the watch stopped working a few days back.
Tommy Hilfiger is basically a fashion brand. I spoke to one person who has more knowledge than me on watches and he told me to stay away from Tommy Hilfiger. This was because I was interested in one of its watches which was selling at Rs 11k. My friend told me that the watch was probably worth just Rs 1k. There are many small time watch manufacturers in India who strike deals with such brands wherein the company will make the watches and companies like Tommy Hilfiger will just provide their branding. As far as quality is concerned, while they are not of very bad quality, they are not long lasting.

Watches are all about brands hence it is very difficult for a new company to make a big name here in a short period of time especially when there are established old firms. So firms need a strong brand name in order to make sure that their watch manufacturing business remains viable.

Please note that I have not personally verified this information but I kind of agree with my friend.

As far as suggestions are concerned, I think I can recommend Tissot. For specific options, you can go to website of Ethos (a watch retailer in India) and see the options as per your requirement.

Last edited by Saanil : 3rd April 2017 at 13:01.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:43   #2902
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,883 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
PRS516
Nice watch. How much did it cost? Managed to get any minor discount from Ethos?
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:49   #2903
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 386 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Nice watch. How much did it cost? Managed to get any minor discount from Ethos?
Thanks, mrp is 38200, got it for around 34000.

I bought it from theprimewatches.com
AtheK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:54   #2904
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for an automatic watch. My budget is between 30 to 50 K. Went through this thread a bit and understood a bit about the various brands, technology etc. All suggestions are welcome.
I would highly recommend buying either a Tissot, Citizen or Seiko as they're proper watch companies. If you can get your hands on a Hamilton, that'll work as well, though I'm not too sure if they're still officially available in India anymore.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 04:47   #2905
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Tommy Hilfiger is basically a fashion brand. I spoke to one person who has more knowledge than me on watches and he told me to stay away from Tommy Hilfiger. This was because I was interested in one of its watches which was selling at Rs 11k. My friend told me that the watch was probably worth just Rs 1k. There are many small time watch manufacturers in India who strike deals with such brands wherein the company will make the watches and companies like Tommy Hilfiger will just provide their branding. As far as quality is concerned, while they are not of very bad quality, they are not long lasting.

=====
Thanks for the detailed response Saanil. The Tommy was a wedding gift. But lesson learnt, i will stay away from fashion brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I would highly recommend buying either a Tissot, Citizen or Seiko as they're proper watch companies. If you can get your hands on a Hamilton, that'll work as well, though I'm not too sure if they're still officially available in India anymore.
I like the collection from Tissot. Had a look at Hamilton too and liked a few watches. Links to a few watches i liked are below.

http://www.downunderwatches.com/prod...51-mens-watch/
http://www.downunderwatches.com/prod...54-mens-watch/

Will check in Ethos for the Tissot collection and then decide which one to go for.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th April 2017 at 11:25. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Gausum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 05:55   #2906
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausum View Post
I like the collection from Tissot. Had a look at Hamilton too and liked a few watches. Links to a few watches i liked are below.
At your budget I'd say Longines, its 2 levels above Tissot. A watch buying that crosses the 10k mark would mean only one thing - best provenance/heritage for the price, and for this price Longines is a no-brainer.

Here's how I see it, quartz or automatic, it doesn't matter in the <Rs.100,000/- range, movements and in-house reputation kicks into relevance only the in heavyweight league. A watch is a basic, time-telling accessory and a Longines quartz can do it better than anything else. All the hype of in-house and manual-wind or auto-wind are just gas. I'm a hobby-horologist so I'm not contradicting myself, its just that I believe that the finer details of whether its in-house or not, if it has rubines or rubies, or how the movement is finished or what its rankings in the snob scale are, are best left to the >Rs.500,000/- league.

Here's a video of Georges Kern, exposing the reality of the luxury watch industry. Why his words are relevant is because he's the current CEO of IWC, ex-head and visionary of Roger Dubuis and marketing mind behind Baume and Mercier. A marketing genius and someone who knows how to get away even by saying the truth, heck I watched this video and I still love IWC (mostly because style wise they blow every watch out of the water, Pateks included).

dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:20   #2907
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
At your budget I'd say Longines, its 2 levels above Tissot. A watch buying that crosses the 10k mark would mean only one thing - best provenance/heritage for the price, and for this price Longines is a no-brainer.
Longimes is a fantastic brand, though the only reason I did not mention it is was because the OP has asked recommendations for an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Here's how I see it, quartz or automatic, it doesn't matter in the <Rs.100,000/- range, movements and in-house reputation kicks into relevance only the in heavyweight league. A watch is a basic, time-telling accessory and a Longines quartz can do it better than anything else. All the hype of in-house and manual-wind or auto-wind are just gas.
I have to say I disagree with you here. Seiko makes some fantastic automatics, and most of them are sub 1,00,000. In fact, even their budget 'Seiko 5' movement will likely outlive it's owners ! I don't look down on quartz watches, but if someone wants a watch that will last a long time, I always recommend going for an mechanocal/automatic. My mom had picked up a Longines back in 2001, and while it was the most she had ever spent on a watch, it stopped working after a few years. We got the battery changed and though, it lasted another few years after that, it began to fail around 2014 (and it never really worked after that). She could get it fixed, but it'll mean she'll have to get the movement replaced, which will cost more than what she originally paid for the watch. Even my dad, who's not into watches at all, had a lovely Citizen given to him by my grand dad years ago. It worked without a hitch for 20 years - and then it stopped. A battery change didn't work and there was no way to 'fix' the movement. He now wears an auto that my brother gave him.

I have a Tag F1 (quartz), which my wife bought me for our first anniversary. It cost around 50k at that time and if I need to get it serviced now, it'll cost upwards of 10k, which IMO is a ridiculous amount to spend on a quartz watch. F1s now cost well over 1L, and I know when the watch does finally start giving issues, it will cost me an arm and a leg. Now, if it was an automatic, I could take it to any reputable watch guy and get it serviced for about 4-5k and forget about getting it serviced again for the next 10+ years.

I'm not saying a quartz watch won't last, but for anyone who's not a watch enthusiast, or doesn't like to spend on buying more than one watch - but plans on buying one that'll last - I would recommend going for a mechanical/automatic. 50k is a lot of money to spend on a watch, and if they do, they should buy one that'll last them for a long time.

(Now if it's for a woman, I'd always recommend quartz, but that topic is best left for a different day!)
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 10:46   #2908
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 190
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I have to say I disagree with you here. Seiko makes some fantastic automatics, and most of them are sub 1,00,000. In fact, even their budget 'Seiko 5' movement will likely outlive it's owners ! I don't look down on quartz watches, but if someone wants a watch that will last a long time, I always recommend going for an mechanocal/automatic. My mom had picked up a Longines back in 2001, and while it was the most she had ever spent on a watch, it stopped working after a few years. We got the battery changed and though, it lasted another few years after that, it began to fail around 2014 (and it never really worked after that). She could get it fixed, but it'll mean she'll have to get the movement replaced, which will cost more than what she originally paid for the watch. Even my dad, who's not into watches at all, had a lovely Citizen given to him by my grand dad years ago. It worked without a hitch for 20 years - and then it stopped. A battery change didn't work and there was no way to 'fix' the movement. He now wears an auto that my brother gave him.
Ya, I have a Seiko Bell-Matic, and it still works and the alarms rings true. I think they were last made late 60's or early 70's. It was my grandfathers (who also knew how to repair mechanical watches). I think he last serviced it back in 2000 -- before he passed away. I wear it with a NATO band.
asingh1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 11:32   #2909
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 31
Thanked: 62 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Ya, I have a Seiko Bell-Matic, and it still works and the alarms rings true. I think they were last made late 60's or early 70's. It was my grandfathers (who also knew how to repair mechanical watches). I think he last serviced it back in 2000 -- before he passed away. I wear it with a NATO band.
I still have an Omega that someone gave my grandfather in the early 60s. It was kept in a locker for about 20+ years. I got it out and had it serviced at a local (though reputed) guy. It runs like a charm.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 06:17   #2910
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,959 Times
Default Re: Which watch would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
I have to say I disagree with you here. Seiko makes some fantastic automatics, and most of them are sub 1,00,000. In fact, even their budget 'Seiko 5' movement will likely outlive it's owners
I understand that Seiko has its fans worldwide, so none of what I say now would contradict that. However, to me, automatics and Seiko are kind of a hypocrisy, Seiko being the brand that adopted quartz technology first. To me it isn't about longevity either, unlike cars most watches, quartz included can go 15 years easily, subject to being serviced correctly every 5 years or so. I don't think anyone will hold onto a cheaper watch (<Rs.100,000) for even 10 years, I'd get bored of it in 5. More expensive, haute horlogerie watches? Sure, one can retain them for as many years as possible, such brands can earn double in resale if the watch is 20+ years old.

I also feel that quartz is for those who need a watch strictly for telling time, you don't need to keep winding it and worry about it stopping and resetting it if not worn for 2-3 days. Battery operated is the way to go in those cases.

For pure function over form with a budget - Quartz any brand
For pure function over form at a higher budget - Seiko
For form, function and prestige value - Haute Manufacture brands (not including TAG Omega or Rolex because all 3 mass-produce and have no complications expertise)
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wallets thread - Which one do you own joe1980 Shifting gears 32 4th April 2016 00:00
And you thought you had the coolest watch !!! kalpeshc Gadgets, Computers & Software 14 22nd February 2009 13:27
Which Lamborghini supercar would you love to own? Dippy The International Automotive Scene 42 20th February 2008 13:30
Which off these would you preffer to watch? Shan2nu The International Automotive Scene 10 19th March 2004 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks