Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th August 2018, 12:40   #3646
BHPian

Default Re: Which watch do you own

Is it true that Ethios and Helios only sell display pieces? I find it strange, I don't want a scratched watch and pay full for one.
Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 09:04   #3647
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to buy a luxury watch for my mother. Have shortlisted 2 watches, one from Rado and other from Longines. The cost of the watch from Longines is marginally more. I just wanted to know which is a better brand out of the two.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 09:21   #3648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Planning to buy a luxury watch for my mother. Have shortlisted 2 watches, one from Rado and other from Longines. The cost of the watch from Longines is marginally more. I just wanted to know which is a better brand out of the two.

Personally, I prefer the look of Longines. Price wise, both are in the similar range. Which models are you looking at? I had seen some Rado watches on its website but did not like the look of it.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 10:39   #3649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both are part of the Swatch group, and probably use the same Quartz movement. Mechanical movement may be different.
http://www.swatchgroup.com/en/brands_and_companies

Rado is fine and most of their models come with scratch proof case, but personally I like Loneliness as they have an old fashioned look which is timeless.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2018, 20:31   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
If you would consider mechanical watches, I would recommend having a look at the NOMOS. They look simple and elegant. Just have a look!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 10:26   #3651
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Personally, I prefer the look of Longines. Price wise, both are in the similar range. Which models are you looking at? I had seen some Rado watches on its website but did not like the look of it.
Shortlisted the following two watches ( the Rado is 5k more costly).

Name:  longines.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  rado.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  28.0 KB
Old 13th August 2018, 11:59   #3652
BHPian

Quote:
Shortlisted the following two watches ( the Rado is 5k more costly).

Attachment 1789616

Attachment 1789617

My wife has the first one (Longines; automatic). It is a classy watch. I recommend it over the Rado
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 12:01   #3653
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of the two, I'd pick the Longines La Grande Classique every single time. My mother had one for a long time, passed onto my better half a couple years ago who intends to keep it for life. Classy and long-lasting, with minimal maintenance.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2018, 12:19   #3654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
My wife has the first one (Longines; automatic). It is a classy watch. I recommend it over the Rado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Out of the two, I'd pick the Longines La Grande Classique every single time. My mother had one for a long time, passed onto my better half a couple years ago who intends to keep it for life. Classy and long-lasting, with minimal maintenance.
Thanks a ton. My mother also liked the Longines look and feel more than the Rado.