Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 10:25   #1291
BHPian
 
voodoochild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pune, Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was looking for the titanium, but settled for resin assuming I will change the band some day. Resin band can easily break when exposed to heat. I have broken multiple resin bands before.
Samurai, have you thought about fabric straps like the ones that come on some Timex Expedition series watches? No worries about heat, water damage etc. And they're pretty thick, so they take some time to fray and tear

Cheers
Rahul
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 11:00   #1292
Senior - BHPian
 
Schoudhury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Blore/Dallas-TX
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Here are mine till date .
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own-casio.jpg  

Which watch do you own-fossil.jpg  

Which watch do you own-tissot.jpg  

Which watch do you own-titan1.jpg  

Which watch do you own-titan2.jpg  

Which watch do you own-tommy-h.jpg  

Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 13:58   #1293
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Lots of supercool & exotic collection here. Thanks all for sharing.
Well Here is mine. (A simple & cheap one).

Wanted a new watch for everyday use & simple to read, so liked this Timex Expedition watch & bought it for around 2.7K.


Its is Shock Resistant & WR 100M.
Water Resistant Leather Strap (Very Comfortable)
Which watch do you own-img_2301.jpg

Indiglo Feature:
Which watch do you own-img_2311.jpg

But the lume on hands is not good at all:
Which watch do you own-untitled.jpg

Also, started to think if it is genuine or not as, if you notice closely, the second hand is not aligning properly to markings on dial.
Which watch do you own-img_2300.jpg
Its stopping just somewhere in the middle..
So is it Fake? bought from an authorized showroom.

BTW, Anyone knows how to reset the chrono hands of an ESPRIT watch. I have an old ESPRIT Chrono, but the chrono second & minute hand are not aligning to 12 o'clock position. I tried the ususal, Crown pull, press START to reset method, but its not working here. My Chronograph starts to record, even when crown is pulled all way up.
Any heads up please?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 11th March 2012 at 14:07.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 14:05   #1294
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 849 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Also, started to think if it is genuine or not as, if you notice closely, the second hand is not aligning properly to markings on dial......Its stopping just somewhere in the middle.. So is it Fake? bought from an authorized showroom.
Nice watch! I like watches like this - very minimalist look, clear numbers and rugged.

If you've bought it from an auth showroom, then don't worry. Chances of it being a fake are very very slim. As to the second hand alignment, aren't there any instructions for adjusting that in the user manual?

EDIT: I've recently signed up on this watch forum - http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php Check it out, maybe you'll get the answers to your questions there.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th March 2012 at 14:09.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 14:12   #1295
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Nice watch! I like watches like this - very minimalist look, clear numbers and rugged.

If you've bought it from an auth showroom, then don't worry. Chances of it being a fake are very very slim. As to the second hand alignment, aren't there any instructions for adjusting that in the user manual?

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks. I dont think there is any such mention in the Manual. Also the manual is like a common manual for multiple Timex watches. There some mentions of adjusting the Chrono hands in Chronographs, but could not find any mention for regular second hand on the net.

IF it is required to open the case & adjust manually, then not gonna do that. Not as long as its keeping proper time.

EDIT: Thanks for the link. Been reading stuff there. Nice forum for watches.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 11th March 2012 at 14:14.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 22:44   #1296
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Hey guys,

Needed some help.

I currently use a Timex and a Polo Club watch, along with a swatch Irony for occassional use.

I wanted to buy a nice watch for myself, and since a friend is coming down from the US soon, I will be ordering it from there.

I checked up Amazon and came across this deal. A Seiko SNAD47 (original price USD 570 /~28000 INR) is available for USD 147 (about 7500 INR).

Is this genuine? I have used Amazon before and they were good, but I have heard lots of stories about fake watches (in general, not Amazon).

Also, what is the basic reason why people buy a Seiko 5. Is there something special about automatics.

Any other options I could consider in the same price range?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNAD47 Chronograph Black Dial Stainless Steel Alarm Watch: Watches

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNZG62 Sports Stainless-Steel Automatic World Time Watch: Seiko: Watches

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 04:32   #1297
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune, Melbourne
Posts: 619
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
EDIT: I've recently signed up on this watch forum - Watchuseek, World's Most Visited Watch Forum Site Check it out, maybe you'll get the answers to your questions there.
Its a great watch forum. I am following it for a while now. Yet to register though.
Its really amazing to read the depth and breadth of the discussion about watches.
C300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:00   #1298
BHPian
 
abdriver2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 330
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hey guys,

Needed some help.

I currently use a Timex and a Polo Club watch, along with a swatch Irony for occassional use.

I wanted to buy a nice watch for myself, and since a friend is coming down from the US soon, I will be ordering it from there.

I checked up Amazon and came across this deal. A Seiko SNAD47 (original price USD 570 /~28000 INR) is available for USD 147 (about 7500 INR).

Is this genuine? I have used Amazon before and they were good, but I have heard lots of stories about fake watches (in general, not Amazon).

Also, what is the basic reason why people buy a Seiko 5. Is there something special about automatics.

Any other options I could consider in the same price range?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNAD47 Chronograph Black Dial Stainless Steel Alarm Watch: Watches

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNZG62 Sports Stainless-Steel Automatic World Time Watch: Seiko: Watches

Cheers,
Tapish
The first one is a quartz movement and not an automatic. You might want to read the user review for the second one. Seiko 5 are great watches known to last for decades.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:37   #1299
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000

The first one is a quartz movement and not an automatic. You might want to read the user review for the second one. Seiko 5 are great watches known to last for decades.
I have a Seiko Sports automatic... Almost a year old, takes daily abuse well. If you buy a Seiko, get one with movement 7S36 (movt made in Japan) . 7S26 is made in China (hence cheaper). Both movements are good, but china is synonymous with cheap now.

The lower end Seikos come with hardlex glass, which is tough, but not as good as sapphire crystal in higher end watches.

Ah yes - most importantly - the movements are very accurate, but with a power reserve of around 40 hours, need to wear the automatic every alternate day at least, if you want to avoid setting time and date often
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:45   #1300
Senior - BHPian
 
comfortablynumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,268
Thanked: 849 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hey guys, Needed some help.....
From forums.watchuseek.com:

"Seiko 5 is Seiko's introductory line of automatic watches. It is also Seiko's oldest and longest continually used sub-brand. The "5" stands for the watch's 5 principal attributes:

1. Diaflex (unbreakable mainspring),
2. Diashock (Seiko's shock resistant design, equivalent to the Swiss "Incabloc"),
3. Automatic winding,
4. day/date indication, and
5. Water resistant."

One point that you might need to consider is that if you buy a watch in the US, the warranty might not be valid here. Also, in the links you have given, the 1st one is neither a Seiko 5 nor an automatic. The 2nd one is, but hasn't got great reviews.

I would strongly suggest that you buy a watch here in India only after trying it on. There's a world of difference between how a watch looks on the website and on your hand.

I have a Seiko 5 [model SNZF11K1] and am very happy with it. Personally speaking, I bought it just for the novelty of having an automatic; somehow feels nice to know that your hand movements are winding the mainspring and running the watch.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th March 2012 at 09:46.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 09:55   #1301
BHPian
 
autocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 668
Thanked: 536 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb

There's a world of difference between how a watch looks on the website and on your hand.
+1

Quote:

I have a Seiko 5 [model SNZF11K1] and am very happy with it. Personally speaking, I bought it just for the novelty of having an automatic; somehow feels nice to know that your hand movements are winding the mainspring and running the watch.

Cheers,
Vikram
Very true . I have the next line (sports) which comes with a glass case bottom.

Its a joy to watch the balance wheel dance... So similar to a beating heart! Tireless, persistent, punctual...
autocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:57   #1302
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
The first one is a quartz movement and not an automatic.
Yes Ab, I was looking at it as it looks smart. (Also has a huge discount on it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I have a Seiko Sports automatic... Almost a year old, takes daily abuse well. If you buy a Seiko, get one with movement 7S36 (movt made in Japan) . 7S26 is made in China (hence cheaper).
Thanks Autocrat, will check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I would strongly suggest that you buy a watch here in India only after trying it on. There's a world of difference between how a watch looks on the website and on your hand.

I have a Seiko 5 [model SNZF11K1] and am very happy with it. Personally speaking, I bought it just for the novelty of having an automatic; somehow feels nice to know that your hand movements are winding the mainspring and running the watch.
Thanks Vikram Sir, I too was interested in it for the novelty factor. Otherwise, the quartz chrono looks a lot better. I believe the india price for the 5 isn't a lot different. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
+1
Its a joy to watch the balance wheel dance... So similar to a beating heart! Tireless, persistent, punctual...
It couldn't have been put in better words Sir.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 10:57   #1303
Senior - BHPian
 
architect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ghaziabad, U. P
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I have a Seiko Sports automatic... Almost a year old, takes daily abuse well. If you buy a Seiko, get one with movement 7S36 (movt made in Japan) . 7S26 is made in China (hence cheaper). Both movements are good, but china is synonymous with cheap now.
I have a 7S26 movement Seiko 5. It's affordability was what sealed the deal. It might be inferior to the 7S36 but it was sweet within my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Ah yes - most importantly - the movements are very accurate, but with a power reserve of around 40 hours, need to wear the automatic every alternate day at least, if you want to avoid setting time and date often
My watch would stop whenever I left it on my table overnight. I called the Seiko Authorised Service Centre on the phone who advised me to either wear the watch on my right hand as it was probably not winding enough on the left. I have resorted to giving the watch a couple of turns to wind it before keeping it on the table. Since then the problem has vanished. Also whenever I wear my watch in the gym, it doesn't stop. If the problem recurs, I will take it to the Service Centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
From forums.watchuseek.com:
"Seiko 5 is Seiko's introductory line of automatic watches. It is also Seiko's oldest and longest continually used sub-brand. The "5" stands for the watch's 5 principal attributes:
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have a Seiko 5 [model SNZF11K1] and am very happy with it. Personally speaking, I bought it just for the novelty of having an automatic; somehow feels nice to know that your hand movements are winding the mainspring and running the watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Very true . I have the next line (sports) which comes with a glass case bottom.
Its a joy to watch the balance wheel dance... So similar to a beating heart! Tireless, persistent, punctual...
The glass back is a very nice touch and I can watch the movement for hours, feeling mesmerised with it. Also the movement of the second hand in an automatic and the "tic-tic-tic..." sound is much better than the "tak-pause-tak-pause..." of a quartz.

I think Seiko5 is truly a great line of watches for somebody looking at an affordable automatic.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 14:59   #1304
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Thanks a lot for your suggestions people.

I finally ordered this one from Amazon. Cost me about 71 USD (approx 3600 INR). This is a 21 jewel watch, which is the 7S26 movement. I could not find the 7S36 within this price.

This will be my first Automatic watch. Getting this purely for the novelty factor. Seems a stepping stone to the Seamaster dream.

A friend will be bringing this down from the US by end March. The agonizing wait begins.

Which watch do you own-seiko.jpg

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 16:40   #1305
BHPian
 
Tapish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 244
Thanked: 237 Times
Default Re: Which watch do you own

Guys,

I bought the above watch for USD 71.9 I just casually checked the Amazon page right now, and it shows the price as USD 95. I am unable to understand this.

Amazon.com: Seiko Men's SNK393K Automatic Stainless Steel Watch: Seiko: Watches

Anyways, Im happy that I got it for a decent price.

cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The wallets thread - Which one do you own joe1980 Shifting gears 32 4th April 2016 00:00
And you thought you had the coolest watch !!! kalpeshc Gadgets, Computers & Software 14 22nd February 2009 13:27
Which Lamborghini supercar would you love to own? Dippy The International Automotive Scene 42 20th February 2008 13:30
Which off these would you preffer to watch? Shan2nu The International Automotive Scene 10 19th March 2004 13:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks