Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th January 2009, 16:00   #1801
Team-BHP Support

How about a minor infraction for folks who thrash a car they have neither seen or driven.

I see a lot of trashing happen in just released cars. People don't even go thru the spec sheet and decide that the new car X is worse than some existing car Y.

For example you can see the threads related to the i20, Xylo and so on.

If some one has something concrete to add to a thread then great.
Buts what is the point of writing something like Yuck it looks so bad in that picture.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:21   #1802
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion to all those who start a new thread.

Please add best keywords in the title of new threads. That is: use most popular terms and words of that topic in the title of the new topic you are starting. This I say because 'search' on T-bhp is based on words present in title.

For example:

This is not preferred: My New City review
This is better: My ANHC (All new Honda City) Review.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:37   #1803
Senior - BHPian

I agree to your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
This I say because 'search' on T-bhp is based on words present in title.
But you have an option to search posts too.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:45   #1804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
How about a minor infraction for folks who thrash a car they have neither seen or driven.

I see a lot of trashing happen in just released cars. People don't even go thru the spec sheet and decide that the new car X is worse than some existing car Y.

For example you can see the threads related to the i20, Xylo and so on.

Buts what is the point of writing something like Yuck it looks so bad in that picture.
Unfortunately, were this suggestion to be implemented, the whole Exotics and international scene threads would wear a vacant look.

For example, i have never driven a Merc, but if a new model comes out, i have every right to comment on the aesthetics and what appeals to me in it, and what not. You never know, i may just strike it rich and buy the same car which i had commented about. So, you're saying we all wait till that day?!

I think not.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 19:28   #1805
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That's an opinion of that someone. And the very purpose of a forum is discussion. If you disagree with a comment, simply reply to the post in question. Healthy debates are fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
My suggestion to all those who start a new thread.
Thanks! I must add that you can search through posts also. Just use the Team-BHP Advanced Search facility.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 00:44   #1806
Team-BHP Support

Ym-enjn,

Mods do edit a lot of titles to make them more search friendly, improve our SEO, and help members find what they want without having to peep into each and every vaguely titled thread.

Infact, it is even a Team-BHP rule :
Quote:
10. Please title threads accurately in order to represent the subject matter they contain.
cheers
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 01:24   #1807
BHPian

Uh I do not know whether suggestions other than for the forum can be posted here or not.

since T-bhi is quite large, i was thinking why not we have some sort of helpline. Many of the T-bhpians do interstate road trips and by chance they ever are in some sort of trouble en route they can call up the helpline which could direct the nearest t-bhpian to help the person. I know many would probably be informing other t-bhpians about their trips but this could be a more efficient manner provided people can volunteer. from that particular area

this i wrote because people do not stop to help you if you break down on a highway, especially if it is night. worse if you meet with an accident and do not know what to do.
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 14:03   #1808
BANNED

Even if a fee is charged, that should be fine - as long as people are assured of help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
since T-bhi is quite large, i was thinking why not we have some sort of helpline.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 14:15   #1809
BHPian

Default Basic car mechanics course

Hi all,

Is there any short duration (or preferably weekend) course that could be organized wherein people like me could get to know the basic details about how to troubleshoot their cars? I'm looking at something like a car mechanic 101 where I get to know what the different components of the engine, suspension, gearbox etc are and what are the common problems and how to troubleshoot or fix them in case one is stuck on a lonely road?
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 16:13   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Hi all,

Is there any short duration (or preferably weekend) course that could be organized wherein people like me could get to know the basic details about how to troubleshoot their cars? I'm looking at something like a car mechanic 101 where I get to know what the different components of the engine, suspension, gearbox etc are and what are the common problems and how to troubleshoot or fix them in case one is stuck on a lonely road?
hey this is quite meaningful. quite possible to conduct in t-bhp offline meets only one would have to find a suitable place (warehouse/garage) for actually conducing the troubleshooting sessions.
also "how to be a better driver" stuff could be taught too.

there is always something new to learn and anyone can help the other with whatever they know.

cheers:
Xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 10:02   #1811
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Short duration course? I have one : Spend an hour a day in the technical section. Especially go through the trouble-shooting sections. I am serious. HowStuffWorks - Learn How Everything Works! is also a good resource to understand the automotive basics.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 16:13   #1812
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
...why not we have some sort of helpline. Many of the T-bhpians do interstate road trips and by chance they ever are in some sort of trouble en route ...
Thats an interesting idea Xeno and there are countless instances on the board where Team-BHPians have come to the rescue when other Team-BHPians have been stranded between cities or met with minor accidents etc.
We'll keep this in mind for the future, but for now the current best solution may be to make friends and get the numbers of as many Team-BHPians as you can. Even if you have a few numbers thats good enough, dont underestimate the vast reach and helpfulness of this bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
...I'm looking at something like a car mechanic 101 where I get to know what the different components of the engine, suspension, gearbox etc are and what are the common problems and how to troubleshoot or fix them in case one is stuck on a lonely road?
Sidkun,

That is indeed an interesting suggestion and something that i have been thinking about for a while.
Maybe a sunday meet at a workshop or garage where a knowledgable member(s) shares what they know with real world examples and a bit of hands on experience (which is a whole different experience than looking at images on the internet).
This can be organized through your own initiative in the "Team-BHP Meets" section. All it takes is a few people who are interested to learn and a handful more who are interested in teaching or showing.

Also, do check out this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ses-india.html (Good down & dirty auto mechanic courses in India)

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 16:44   #1813
Senior - BHPian

Default Separate Document Section in Team-BHP

I have some suggestion for TeamBHP. Is it possible to have some separate document section in team bhp where members can post its logs, statistics (mostly travelogues related). It would make easy searching a particular related document in future.

However in thread people used to upload documents and statistics but searching particular document in a tons of posts is really difficult. Nobody should upload any copyright material, but it should be prepared by them. Type of documents could be like

1. Travelogue statistics for a particular route.
2. Actual maintenance data of a particular during ownership.
3. Various other logs and parameters of one modifications to his car.
4. State wise motor vehicle rule and data (can be found on internet on various website but collective information would be more useful for members)
etc

No photos should be allowed in Documents section.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 17:28   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Anuj in case you want to see all the documnets that have been attached in a thread

You should click on the Paper clip icon as shown in pic below
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-1.jpg

Once you click on it you will get a window like this

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  36.8 KB

Then you can click on any document to view individually
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2009, 14:32   #1815
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Representing tabular data has been very difficult on team-bhp,can we have ready made templates for tables as shown here on team-bhp as well.

vB Code [table] - vBulletin.org Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Checking the link out now. Will update.
Any update on the ability to post tabular data.
Please.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote