Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2007, 08:13   #766
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North America
Posts: 960
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Thanks Rehaan.
You are the man!!!
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 13:56   #767
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

Rehaan here you go : Free Image Hosting at AllYouCanUpload.com

Sorry about the earlier link.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 15:57   #768
BHPian
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 153
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

There are some threads that are really long and it takes a lot of time to read through the entire thread to get the jist of the discussion. While it is enjoyable to read through the entire thread, there are times when you're in a hurry and want to get to the final advice or conclusion of the thread.

I don't know if its possible, but it would be nice to have a "Thread Summary" view for threads that go above a certain number of pages (say 10).

This view could list the key posts of the entire discussion, perhaps allowing readers to vote for posts that will get included in the summary.

Last edited by cypher : 21st August 2007 at 16:14.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 17:36   #769
KVS
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 91
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I agree with cypher. Especially the threads where there is lot of information for eg the thread on tyres..

Suggest we can have a facilty to down load the entire thread in a word doc.
KVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 17:48   #770
Senior - BHPian
 
mithun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 1,950
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

What about a "Check if already posted" button on the new thread page so that we can avoid duplicate threads ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2007, 00:55   #771
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

While browsing through different pages/links/threads on team-bhp this window pops up occasionally,though now the occurance seems to have increased.

rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 12:29   #772
BHPian
 
cypher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 153
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Folder to track all Newbie posts "to be approved"

As a newbie, all posts are queued to be approved by a mod. I've occasionally come across a scenario, where I've submitted a post to be approved, only to realize immediately that I wanted to edit it.

Currently, until the post is approved, one cannot access the post to make any changes. Since there is a window of 20 mins from the time the post appears to edit it, I keep refreshing the thread's page to check if the post is approved.

Even with our mods being super-efficient and quick to approve posts , (quite understandably) sometimes it takes time for a post to appear. Often, I move on to other work (or other threads) and forget to check the thread where I've posted. In the bargain, I miss the 20 minute window to edit my post.

As a solution, can we have a folder that lists all posts pending to be approved, and which would allow editing of the post. The mods would then be able to see the latest edited version of the post for approval.

It would also be a convenient way to check whether a post has been approved or not.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 13:04   #773
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
While browsing through different pages/links/threads on team-bhp this window pops up occasionally,though now the occurance seems to have increased.


Rahul choose " Accept this certificate permanently " ,nothing to worry about.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 16:10   #774
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,709
Thanked: 89,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
What about a "Check if already posted" button on the new thread page so that we can avoid duplicate threads ?
Come on!! Do you really need a feature for that. Its near impossible to implement since the other thread could have been worded differently. Just use "search"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
While browsing through different pages/links/threads on team-bhp this window pops up occasionally,though now the occurance seems to have increased.
Ok, cats out of the bag . For those on a shared network, we have enabled secure log-ins which send your password in an encrypted form. Instead of http://www.team-bhp.com, just use https://www.team-bhp.com. Note the extra "s" in https

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
I've occasionally come across a scenario, where I've submitted a post to be approved, only to realize immediately that I wanted to edit it.

Currently, until the post is approved, one cannot access the post to make any changes. Since there is a window of 20 mins from the time the post appears to edit it, I keep refreshing the thread's page to check if the post is approved.
Sorry cypher, but that separate folder does not seem easy to implement. Also, what if the poster edit + moderator approval takes place at the same time.

But Hey, You are just 13 posts away from "approved" posts!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 16:29   #775
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

GTO, you answered all, except one.

How about Thread summary and allowing to vote for key posts of a thread?

As people said, this helps lot better if someone comes to know about a thread which already filled up more than 10 pages. Before he starts replying, he can go over summary.

Also, how about downloading entire thread in word doc or so?
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 16:36   #776
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,459 Times
Default

i have been your member since 8 mths,how to post msg,
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 17:21   #777
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,709
Thanked: 89,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
GTO, you answered all, except one.

How about Thread summary and allowing to vote for key posts of a thread?

As people said, this helps lot better if someone comes to know about a thread which already filled up more than 10 pages. Before he starts replying, he can go over summary.

Also, how about downloading entire thread in word doc or so?
@ Sathya : We had 1091 new threads created in the month of July. The sheer volume makes it impossible for the Support Team to create thread summaries. All our free / break time from work is spent in moderation.

That said, the entire Advice section has been created off posts in the forum. So you do have a summary available on the most common help topics. If you have any suggestions for additional Advice topics, please do put them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
i have been your member since 8 mths,how to post msg,
Pavan, have a look at our comprehensive FAQ. You will find answers to all your forum usage questions.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 18:35   #778
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 28 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Well I found this to be a little too irritating. Mostly when I post a topic, and when it goes to several pages you suddenly realize that you have missed quite a lot of posts. This is because of the approval of newbie posts. I guess once the mod approves the post it is posted in a sequence at the time the original poster put up the post and not when the mod approves it. This makes one miss innumerable number of posts.

For eg, on the Touring Car Championship thread I just figured that I had missed out on atleast 6 posts, I kept refreshing the thread over and over again but somehow missed these posts. Is it possible to put up these posts in such a time frame that it comes as the latest post and not join the topic somewhere in between?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 19:19   #779
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Well I found this to be a little too irritating. Mostly when I post a topic, and when it goes to several pages you suddenly realize that you have missed quite a lot of posts. This is because of the approval of newbie posts. I guess once the mod approves the post it is posted in a sequence at the time the original poster put up the post and not when the mod approves it. This makes one miss innumerable number of posts.

For eg, on the Touring Car Championship thread I just figured that I had missed out on atleast 6 posts, I kept refreshing the thread over and over again but somehow missed these posts. Is it possible to put up these posts in such a time frame that it comes as the latest post and not join the topic somewhere in between?
Exactly, when I was newbie, I found this limited others answering me because my post appeared at later time but in older pages.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 19:29   #780
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Sathya : We had 1091 new threads created in the month of July. The sheer volume makes it impossible for the Support Team to create thread summaries. All our free / break time from work is spent in moderation.

That said, the entire Advice section has been created off posts in the forum. So you do have a summary available on the most common help topics. If you have any suggestions for additional Advice topics, please do put them here.
I fully agree due to volume. But, why not let readers rate posts and a simple option which only shows rated posts in a thread - if possible?

BTW, to add suggestions to Advice topics: I see there are lot of duplicate queries/answers in 'What car' forum. Many folks ask about what car to go for given price range and many TBHPians had to repeat the answers.

Instead, why not create (parked) threads that will discuss Pro's & Con's of various cars within certain range and so. Newbies can start with this article and then post queries if those are not answered.

I know, there will be hurdles initially such as prices vary even by a Lakh across cities, perception of everyone over features/performance/etc of each car is different, etc. Yet once we start it, it will at least bring some basic/common ground of all cars (say, most people agree that SX4 is VFM car in its segment, etc).

Of course this article will be living thread and gets updated frequently based on new models introduced, old ones becoming obsolete, etc.

Can you think about it?
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users! GTO The Indian Car Scene 2624 21st November 2017 04:27
Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP? shreeks Gadgets, Computers & Software 29 16th November 2017 04:54
From a Team-BHP Fan to a Team-BHP Member YNT86 Introduce yourself 5 19th November 2015 22:21
PIC : Team-BHP Stickers on Team-BHP servers! GTO Announcements 48 12th August 2014 16:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:42.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks