Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2007, 19:56   #886
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,261
Thanked: 22,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Mods, please do something for Newbie posts, it has been raised multiple times. At least if they appear as latest post after moderation, it will be more than sufficient.
Hmmm.. i see your point ford madhan and sathya.

Will discuss the options we have in the Support forum.

Abhilash, ive never noticed that before... GTO might have an answer/solution.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 10:51   #887
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,151
Thanked: 85,039 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_madhan View Post


Just my opinion here. Instead of preventing newbie's from posting directly,
they can be allowed to post directly with close monitoring. If the moderator's feel like somebody is doing mistake often, they can be subjected to moderators supervision. Like how the users are banned after few warnings.

Can this be considered as an option. This will make life easy for newbie's as well.
Hi FM : The decision to moderate newbie posting has been arrived at, only after a lot of discussion within the mod team. In fact, for the initial 2.5 years of Team-BHP, there was absolutely no moderation of newbie posts. However, circumstances (and growth) forced us implement this step in our endeavour to maintain Team-BHP's quality. Statistics speak for themselves : About 20 - 30 % of newbie posts are against the board rules, and are disapproved.

We request support from all of you in being just a little patient until the posts are approved. Rest assured, all of us take frequent breaks from our work / education only to check on Team-BHP and moderate posts from the pending que.

However, your suggestion has been noted and we will try to speed up the process that much more.

Quote:
looks like most of the moderators are available after 6PM. As the posts appear slightly faster.
Thats because office work typically ends around that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
When we search for all posts of a particular user, the results what we get is different from the results we get when we click on a users name beside his post, and select Find More Posts by xxxxx. ( I hope I was able to put in what I really mean in this long sentence) In fact I have always found the second one more useful as it displays from the last post backwards. Cant we make both these results the same?
Hi abhilash,

Thats a pretty peculiar situation, and our upgraded search engine should definitely not behave that way. In fact, I just ran a search on your profile and it showed me the same 79 posts in exactly the same order....whichever way I searched. It could be that:

1. You have some forum sections set on ignore.

2. When searching by the username (from the advanced search page), you are choosing the "thread" option in "Show Results as" instead of "posts". Thread is the default option and you would have to manually change this to posts.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 10:59   #888
BHPian
 
abhilash_iv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kochi
Posts: 216
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post


Hi abhilash,

Thats a pretty peculiar situation, and our upgraded search engine should definitely not behave that way. In fact, I just ran a search on your profile and it showed me the same 79 posts in exactly the same order....whichever way I searched. It could be that:

1. You have some forum sections set on ignore.

2. When searching by the username (from the advanced search page), you are choosing the "thread" option in "Show Results as" instead of "posts". Thread is the default option and you would have to manually change this to posts.
Ok, let me explain the situation.
Just now ran an Advanced search, selecting 'Show results as' radio button as Posts, and filling my name abhilash_iv in the name 'Search by username' box (Exact name is checked and Find posts by user is selected in that section)
I get only 1 result. Which is a post in the only thread which I started.
Where as if I select the Find more posts by from the drop down in my name beside my post, I get all my 78 posts listed.

Is it how it is meant to be?
abhilash_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 12:02   #889
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,151
Thanked: 85,039 Times
Default

Umm...I just searched and found all 70 odd posts. Can anyone else confirm that they are also able to see all the posts through advanced search?

However, I think you have selected "Search title only" in the dropdown menu below keywords. In that case, it will only show the thread you have created.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 12:27   #890
BHPian
 
abhilash_iv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kochi
Posts: 216
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Umm...I just searched and found all 70 odd posts. Can anyone else confirm that they are also able to see all the posts through advanced search?

However, I think you have selected "Search title only" in the dropdown menu below keywords. In that case, it will only show the thread you have created.
You are right. I have selected 'search title only'. But I thought it applies if we type anything in that search box only. It gives all posts if I select Search all posts in that section and try username.

Thanks for the clarification.
abhilash_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 14:56   #891
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi FM : The decision to moderate newbie posting has been arrived at, only after a lot of discussion within the mod team. In fact, for the initial 2.5 years of Team-BHP, there was absolutely no moderation of newbie posts. However, circumstances (and growth) forced us implement this step in our endeavour to maintain Team-BHP's quality. Statistics speak for themselves : About 20 - 30 % of newbie posts are against the board rules, and are disapproved.

We request support from all of you in being just a little patient until the posts are approved. Rest assured, all of us take frequent breaks from our work / education only to check on Team-BHP and moderate posts from the pending que.

However, your suggestion has been noted and we will try to speed up the process that much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hmmm.. i see your point ford madhan and sathya.

Will discuss the options we have in the Support forum.

cya
R
Hi Guys, we appreciate your focused & dedicated efforts to take our suggestions and implement whatever possible - number of posts in this thread speaks for itself. I have been following this thread for quite sometime and saw most of suggestions were implemented then & there - I haven't seen such faster and quality response in any forum I know of. GREAT JOB BY SUPPORT and MODS TEAMS!!!!

This is one of key success factors of TBHP!!
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 17:31   #892
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,728
Thanked: 15,775 Times
Default

Dont know if this has been discussed earlier-

However, i just ran into this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...ey.html#post42 (Hey!)

And realised team-bhp has come a long way from those times. I tried to search about the past, and i think Rudra'ji and some of his posts revealed the 'bond' that we all share at team-bhp.

Was wondering if there is a thread- on the origins of team-bhp, and the way the community has grown over these years. A thread were new members can read on the important happenings over-time. Something that would make them proud, of being a part of this community.

Just came to my mind- Sorry if its already been discussed.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2007, 20:01   #893
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,518
Thanked: 3,983 Times
Default Member's Gallery

When we click on a photo in the member's gallery, there is only one button below the photo to go 'BACK' to the gallery. Can we have a 'PREVIOUS' & 'NEXT' buttons to view the previous & next photo in the gallery ?

A separate 'BACK' button can re-direct us back to the gallery main page.

If discussed before, pls ignore. Thanks !
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 15:03   #894
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,151
Thanked: 85,039 Times
Default

@ crazy driver : Wait and watch . Will be up sooner than you expected.

@ condor : Great suggestion. I will have the same forwarded to our tech. However, if it is possible, the feature would be implemented only in the next round of software upgrades.

Thanks.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:12   #895
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,151
Thanked: 85,039 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Would you consider a forum just for four wheel drive and/or off-road vehicles?

Let me say I really like the way you guys are handling this site and the way you keep close watch over the posts. I own a Ford diesel F350 4x4 back in the U.S. and there is a big site for it you might want to take a look at if you have not already. The site is not moderated so closely and there is a lot of mindless polemics and flaming rhetoric and opinion rather than facts. You guys compare quite favorably IMHO.

See TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fantastic suggestion! Instead of a different forum, we could probably have a dedicated forum section for 4x4. We are currently discussing this within the mod team.

Thanks
There you go DirtyDan! Team-BHP's offroading section has just been created.

Thanks for the superb suggestion!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:19   #896
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Can't we have a separate section where advertisers advertise their wares? I mean not one off sellers like in the marketplace but inviting established businesses (like, say, Sprocket/Car Shringaar/Stanley etc) where they can display their wares and users/mods/gurus can rate each item)? It will be useful for people looking to buy stuff like ICE for their cars, instead of having to browse through different threads and collate data for each individual post. Or is there already a "professional sellers" section existing that I've missed?
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 20:56   #897
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 7,337
Thanked: 4,543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Can't we have a separate section where advertisers advertise their wares? I mean not one off sellers like in the marketplace but inviting established businesses (like, say, Sprocket/Car Shringaar/Stanley etc) where they can display their wares and users/mods/gurus can rate each item)? It will be useful for people looking to buy stuff like ICE for their cars, instead of having to browse through different threads and collate data for each individual post. Or is there already a "professional sellers" section existing that I've missed?
Brilliant idea. I second that.

If you want, you can keep that as a paid section (for the advertisers). Just that it will make the forum a li'l bit commercial. Upto to the admin to decide.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 21:15   #898
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,735
Thanked: 6,295 Times
Default

we have so many guys here who deal in car related accessories. if we have a section for them to sell stuff well get good stuff and good rates.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 22:29   #899
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Can't we have a separate section where advertisers advertise their wares? I mean not one off sellers like in the marketplace but inviting established businesses (like, say, Sprocket/Car Shringaar/Stanley etc) where they can display their wares and users/mods/gurus can rate each item)? It will be useful for people looking to buy stuff like ICE for their cars, instead of having to browse through different threads and collate data for each individual post. Or is there already a "professional sellers" section existing that I've missed?
I too agree, this is great idea. While I was speaking to Car shringar guy, he was also saying that he was looking to register in TBHP to advertise.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 05:55   #900
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,261
Thanked: 22,221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Can't we have a separate section where advertisers advertise their wares? I mean not one off sellers like in the marketplace but inviting established businesses (like, say, Sprocket/Car Shringaar/Stanley etc) where they can display their wares and users/mods/gurus can rate each item)? It will be useful for people looking to buy stuff like ICE for their cars, instead of having to browse through different threads and collate data for each individual post. Or is there already a "professional sellers" section existing that I've missed?
Hi Sidkun, Eddy, akshay12345, satya_n,

This idea has been around for a while now, and there is talk about it taking shape at the next big update....lets wait and see what happens

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users! GTO The Indian Car Scene 2619 23rd July 2017 19:58
Office Firewall blocks Team-BHP - Proxying Team-BHP? shreeks Gadgets, Computers & Software 26 27th March 2017 21:05
From a Team-BHP Fan to a Team-BHP Member YNT86 Introduce yourself 5 19th November 2015 22:21
PIC : Team-BHP Stickers on Team-BHP servers! GTO Announcements 48 12th August 2014 16:08


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks