Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th February 2010, 06:04   #256
SMK
BHPian

I was looking for a thread relating to all these "Racial" attacks on Indians in Australia, luckily i found this one!
I have been living in sydney for the past 1.5 years and was amused at the amount of bad publicity Indian news channels were spreading related to all these incidents, Every other friend of mine wanted to know how me or my family was over here.
Even so called the racial Aussies would care for me and give me a cab voucher if i happened to work late in office, call me to make sure i reached home safe, came over to my daughter's bday party with loads of presents and lots of love, showed respect towards our religion and took off their footwear when entering our house. Almost every Aussie we meet on our daily evening walks or a casual outing to the city, never ceases to greets us with a smile and hello to my daughter, do i call them Racists? NO!!

I say Indian Media is biased in bringing news, why wasnt there any news report on the Indian who burnt himself to claim insurance? Why wasnt there any news on how an Indian was beaten up by his fellow Indians? Does the news channels have any answers? or we blindly belive in whatever they say and blame every other country?

In India, everything is divided based on religion, caste, income status, cities, states are we not more racists than these people?
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:16   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
I was looking for a thread relating to all these "Racial" attacks on Indians in Australia, luckily i found this one!
I have been living in sydney for the past 1.5 years and was amused at the amount of bad publicity Indian news channels were spreading related to all these incidents, Every other friend of mine wanted to know how me or my family was over here.
Even so called the racial Aussies would care for me and give me a cab voucher if i happened to work late in office, call me to make sure i reached home safe, came over to my daughter's bday party with loads of presents and lots of love, showed respect towards our religion and took off their footwear when entering our house. Almost every Aussie we meet on our daily evening walks or a casual outing to the city, never ceases to greets us with a smile and hello to my daughter, do i call them Racists? NO!!

I say Indian Media is biased in bringing news, why wasnt there any news report on the Indian who burnt himself to claim insurance? Why wasnt there any news on how an Indian was beaten up by his fellow Indians? Does the news channels have any answers? or we blindly belive in whatever they say and blame every other country?

In India, everything is divided based on religion, caste, income status, cities, states are we not more racists than these people?
I must say, reading your hands on experience, my perspective has changed which was to a very large extent depended on Our, over the board, news channel. atleast, as far as the above topic is concerned, and I fully endorse your thought on the last last 2 para.
11mahesh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:46   #258
Senior - BHPian

good perspective SMK

thanks

even my good friend says the same thing as you - he has been living in Oz for around 12-15 years or so now.

He is also on TBHP but more a "lurker" than an "active participant"

Going by this feedback, I think our Indian News channels are guilty of creating some un-necessary hype around these incidents, which may well be relatively isolated ones.

Quote:

shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 09:59   #259
Senior - BHPian

Having stayed in Sydney for 2.5 years, I have not experienced any racism tone or abuse, so do my other mates (all Indians)... there were some incidents where some asian students were mugged by some lebanese thugs (around Randwick/UNSW). Peronally speaking, I think racism in Australia is more of media hype than reality. Yes, there are elements within their society who are racists, but that's there everywhere, even in India.. just look at the way students from the North East are treated elsewhere...

And one thing to ponder upon.. there are more chinese than Indians in Australia..and strangely, there had not been not much case of abuse/prejudice/racist incidents inflicted upon them..
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 10:01   #260
BHPian

completely agree with SMK - i have family and lots of friends in aussie and was recently in aussie (melbourne, tasmania and other place in victoria) for a few weeks during xmas/new year. The whole experience with a lot of new friends I made out there was really good. Everyone there is very respectful and accepting of our traditions and people are really friendly and helpful!
It seems a lot of the incidents in melbourne happen in druggie areas (like footscray) where drug addicts (struggling to manage their habit on reduced social service payouts) will come out at late nights and thrash anyone to get money for their addiction. The whole thing has been blown out of proportion by indian media - being in the wrong place at the wrong time in any country (including india) can be dangerous.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:04   #261
BHPian

Quote:

================================================== ======
I agree with you "SMK".
It may be a media hype. but that all news came in last month and its still continue ..are they all false?
Attack on indians not happening ?
or all that news are false.

Why the media hype this news only.?
why media target aussie only?
Is this a part of nasty politics?

Last edited by KALINGA : 4th February 2010 at 12:15.
KALINGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:12   #262
Team-BHP Support

Racist attacks do happen, but what the media is doing is labelling all muggings as racist attacks. Most of the attacks are for money and in "unsafe" areas where the mugger just wants to rob an easy target(for example someone new to the city). But in the media, even such attacks are termed as racist attacks.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:13   #263
BHPian

Now the latest News which is being flashed just now ,

A certain Mr Singh on Student VISA , has been arrested for sexually assaulting 2 minors , after buying them alcoholic drink .

&

Indian Cabbie charged for assaulting passenger in Melbourne

=-=-=-=-

Link 1 [Indian student charged with sexually assaulting two girls]

Indian student charged with sexually assaulting two girls - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

Reproduced Below -

MELBOURNE: An Indian student was on Wednesday charged in a western Victoria court with sexually assaulting two minor girls.

23-year old Joginder Singh allegedly performed sexual acts with the girls in a car in Horsham last month after buying them alcohol.

He has been charged with sexual penetration and indecent acts with a child under 16, ABC reported, adding Magistrate Richard Pithouse remanded him in custody.

Singh, who is in Australia on a student visa, had applied for bail twice in Magistrates Court, saying he had surrendered his passport and needed to return to Melbourne for study.

Magistrate Pithouse said Singh posed an unacceptable risk of "re-offending" because he had already broken previous bail conditions.

Link 2 [ Indian Cabbie charged for assaulting passenger in Melbourne ]

Indian cabbie charged for assaulting passenger in Melbourne - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

reproduced below

MELBOURNE: Victorian police today arrested and charged an Indian cabbie who allegedly knocked off his passenger.According to AAP report, the 25-year-old passenger was involved in a heated argument with the cab driver around 10pm (AEDT) yesterday as they pulled over in Acland Street in southern Melbourne.

The report said a witness said the passenger tried to walk away but the cab driver chased him down and had to be restrained by security staff working at a nearby business.

The passenger kept walking away as the cab driver then grabbed a baton from the boot of his cab, drove up next to the passenger and allegedly starting striking the man repeatedly with the weapon, the witness says.

"Within a few minutes, many other cab drivers, all of them Indian, all turned up," witness Karen was quoted as saying.

She said "And I could just see how out of hand this is all getting.

Paramedics said they treated the passenger for bruising and swelling to his upper body and took him to The Alfred hospital in a stable condition.

The 32-year-old cab driver was arrested and later charged with intentionally causing injury and two counts of unlawful assault.

Police said they cannot discuss the case further because the cab driver is facing charges before the courts.

He is expected to make a court appearance in Melbourne Magistrates' Court at a later date.

Last edited by passion4cars : 4th February 2010 at 12:19.
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:22   #264
BHPian

Married couple charged after Indian man's body found burnt, dumped

link []Married couple charged after Indian man's body found burnt, dumped | News.com.au

Reproduced below

AN Indian couple have been charged with murdering a fellow national by allegedly slashing his throat and setting his body on fire.

And police expect to charge at least another person with the grisly crime following the couple's arrest in Sans Souci, in Sydney's South, about 11am (AEDT) today, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The body of 25-year-old Indian national, Ranjodh Singh, was found by a passer-by on Wilga Road, Willbriggie on December 29.

“We believe there was a common purpose - to kill Mr Singh,” Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch said.

He described the crime as being “at the upper end of the sorts of murders that police have to deal with”.

The third person expected to be charged was also a casual fruitpicker working in the Griffith area.

The couple were taken to Kogarah Police Station, both Indian nationals, and a third person were believed to know Mr Singh through their work.

The man, 23, was arrested whilst cleaning a car in a Sans Souci carwash, his manager said. The woman, 20, was arrested at a nearby house inhabited by other Indian nationals.

Both were believed to have lived in Griffith but fled to Sydney following Mr Singh's murder.

Detectives from Griffith Local Area Command and the State Crime Command Homicide Squad arrested the man at his workplace in Sans Souci while the woman was arrested at a home in Sans Souci.

Immigration Department officials assisted during today’s police operation and interviewed a number of occupants at the Sans Souci home.

Investigations have revealed Mr Singh was still alive at the time he was set alight by his assailants.

Strike Force Bramwell was established to investigate the circumstances surrounding Mr Singh’s death.

Officers have made a number of public appeals for assistance with the local Wagga and Griffith communities providing significant information leading to today’s arrests.

Southern Region Commander, Assistant Commissioner Mark Murdoch said today the attack on Mr Singh did not appear to be racially motivated and ruled this out as line of inquiry in the murder investigation.

“It will be alleged the persons involved in this matter were well known to the victim and the motive for this horrific crime is not race related,” he said.

Assistant Commissioner Murdoch indicated a further arrest is likely in the near future.

“Mr Singh had been living in Wagga Wagga but working in Griffith at the time of his death and we have received significant information from the local and Indian community concerning his movements in the days surrounding his death,” he said.

“In particular, detectives are now focusing on the movements of a red car seen at a Griffith carwash which is believed to be connected to Mr Singh’s murder.

“Security camera video has been obtained showing a red 1996 Ford Falcon sedan with a spoiler on the boot entering a carwash in Yambil Street, Griffith shortly after 3am on Tuesday December 29.

“We believe the occupants of this car may be able to assist us with our inquiries and appeal to anyone with any information concerning the occupants to come forward.

“Detectives are also keen to speak to any passengers who travelled on the 9.30am County Link bus service between Griffith and Wagga Wagga on Tuesday 29 December.”

Anyone with information or items they think may be of interest to police is urged to contact Griffith police via Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

All information will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.

The body of Mr Singh has been released by the Coroner and his remains will today be returned to his family in India.

They are expected to appear at Sutherland Local Court tomorrow.
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:31   #265
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I feel all these incidents reported after India blamed them for racist attacks can be taken with pinch of salt. I hope none of the innocent Indians gets dragged into this just in game of giving it back to India.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:43   #266
Senior - BHPian

Crime is everywhere, including Australia. While some of the attacks might have racial undertones, most of them were purely opportunistic crimes, which can happen to anyone.

Two types of incidents have been the maximum. One, an indian returning from work late in the night, gets mugged and assaulted. Two, indian cabbie working late in the night, gets mugged or assaulted.

Indians are soft targets, because they don't hit back or most of them do not approach the police. The reason, simply, is that most of them, staying on their student visas, work illegaly to make ends meet. The muggers know that.

One day, I was searching on Google News on such kind of incidents. In one report, I found out that similar incidents (mugging, assault, knifing) happen to all sorts of people, including the white. It is not that the Indians are specifically targetted and hunted down.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:46   #267
BHPian

i totally agree with smk and itnerd.. i lived in australia for about 5 years and came back to india in november last year.got the shock of my life when people started asking me these questions.. oz is one of the most peaceful countries and are among the most friendliest people always asking how u and saying good day mate to random strangers. all these attacks usually happen at late night when these indian students come back from work and it usually happens in lower socio economic suburbs where u have these druggies and alcoholics.. having said that a drunk aussie is a different beast compared to the same guy in morning. I myself as a doctor have had to face many drunk idiots acting up in the emergency room. If an aussie is drunk u just stay away from him period no two ways about it.
Most od these attacks are petty crimes other than the violent taxi cabbie bashings but our media plays it up...IMHO Aussies are a bit racist but it is very subtle and done elegantly that you would not be aware it is directed against you ,it is very unlike them to hit up people that is more of an indian thing i would say.
GR8NATIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 15:00   #268
SMK
BHPian

@Kalinga: All i would like to add to whatever i said earlier is, there are idiots everywhere who thug people for money, its more of a media war in India as to who gets more TRPs since Aussie news is more discussed, "one more assault on Indian" would garner more TRPs for the channel airing it! Bashing up innocents for money does not only involve Aussies and Indians, it involves Pakistanis,Chinese,Lebanese,Koreans,Japs and even in some cases local Aussies as well. Its all a matter of TRPs now. Were there these many news channels in India about 4-5 years ago?? More channels, more competitions for TRPs as i would put it.
@11mahesh11: Thanks mate!
@shankar.balan: I agree, if there are 10 incidents, 1 may be racial and other 9 maybe for different reasons!
@iTNerd: More Chinese definately, more than Aussies i would say! So who is racist? Aussie Chinese? too much confusion here. Ha Ha Ha
@jassi: being in wrong place at the wrong time is the apt way to summarise this situation!
@passion4cars: I see you are from Melbourne mate, you would definately agree to what i say!
@ashutoshb: I dont think its only for Indians mate! A drunk Thug does not see if the person is a Indian/Pakistani/Korean/Chinese
@GR8NATIVE: Exactly, "very subtle and done elegantly" using clever words only and also, you would laugh them off rather than crib about it
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 11:35   #269
BHPian

There was an interesting article in TOI today where the Premier of Victoria explained that 7% of the population of Victoria is of Indian or Sri-Lankan origin, which means, in every 14 crimes one of the victims is likely to be Indian / Sri-Lankan. Unless the ratio is significantly higher than this it's not justified to tag it as racism
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 14:22   #270
BHPian

While a lot of these attacks may not have been racist, please stop posting stuff like "there is no racism in Australia" and similar statements based purely on anecdotal evidence (which amounts to nothing).
Australia, and parts of Europe, are simply not as cosmopolitan as say a US, or a UK. And neither are they as multicultural as India is.

Racism isn't something that is easily visible, everywhere in a society. This is primarily because a vast majority of people are nice and not racists (anywhere in the world).What matters is how much a country, and its institutions has done to prevent it.
Australia has had a history of racism. Till their historic 1967 bill, the Aborigines did not have the right to vote, and prior to that they pretty much had the same rights as the flora and fauna of that place. Even today, the income gap between average Aborigines and average Whites is more appalling than the gap we have here in India.
How many Aussie CEOs are Indians, Aborigines, non-Whites? (compared to, say, in the US)

If you want anecdotal evidences (which amount to nothing), I can post 10s of Aussies on youtubes calling Indians the "stink people"
You may also want to go through these two articles, and hundreds of others that are easily googleable:

No, this is not 'sport' - this is blatant racism - www.theage.com.au

Racism 'ugly underbelly' of Australian sport | The Australian

Just for the sake of putting forward an analogy; most people in Pakistan are not radicals or terrorists, but terrorism has very deep roots in a lot of their state owned institutions. Thus, it is not very wrong to call Pakistan a terrorist country.

P.S. In fact, if you ever visit Pakistan, you'd be surprised at the generous and overwhelming hospitality (to Indians). They treat you like a long lost brother.
A lot of my family members have Aussie passports. My uncle being one of them. During my 2004 visit, a Deli owner asked him to go back to where he came from (over a small incident. He had a 100$ bill, and he had to pay 11-12 bucks)
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote