Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 13:43   #61
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 723
Thanked: 413 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
A British girl was raped and killed by some Goan boys not long ago. It wasn't the first time.
I guess you are talking about the Scarlett case. For your information she was not murdered. She died of a drug OD. She was not raped either. I don't want to post the details of the incident here. But the whole incident was hyped up by the British media, which led to the Indian media hyping it up too. If you want to blame Goan boys for it you are free to do so. You are free to boycott sorpotel too. Being a local I know the facts. However the official version is different for various reasons. If you are interested I can tell you the facts during one of the meets.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 13:46   #62
BHPian
 
mustang89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 348
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We want Australian government to act fast and criticize the incidents, right ?
Remember Goa incident of British girl ? Did we give them justice ? The culprit being someone with high contact/influence got away with impunity.
They arranged for some " Dharna " or some group of people who were gathered as if it was rally and indeed blamed the British family members of the girl.
Her mother lastly said " She does not want further investigation as already they are put under a lot of pressure ".

Now imagine, they came here as tourist and what we gave them ?

Before pinpointing at others, let us consider what we are at the core. Every month we have to fight for domestic LPG cylinder as our vendor sells illegally to school van drivers and private vehicle owners. We have to pay to him and then we have to bring one cylinder every two months from some neighbor and pay them too. This is a small example of what we are.

Its simple : We are not so pure back at home too. So we have to move out for further studies and better future. Why ? Why the hell we are not having proper education in India ?

And please dont tell me that education in India is great. I have lost academic years and have seen many things that I cannot disclose.

Its not matter of top 10 institutions. I am talking about general education for average students. Do we have them in proper fashion ? NO.

The only way to stop all this is to improve ourselves.
Bro,i never denied how much low indians can fall,i have seen foreigners being robbed and charged unfair amounts,i myself have been robbed back in US by blacks but all this cant stop us from helping the victims.can it?

i am never denying the fact that we indians need to improve,but at the same time we cant say "ok we rape foreigners so let them rape our fellow men,is that the way?"
its just shunning responsibility.

and as far as education goes i know that we are nowhere near the mark compared to foreign institutes.i have been through a lot here and i know that the general administration here is just hopeless.
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 14:04   #63
BHPian
 
pedrolourenco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 723
Thanked: 413 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
Bro,i never denied how much low indians can fall,i have seen foreigners being robbed and charged unfair amounts,i myself have been robbed back in US by blacks but all this cant stop us from helping the victims.can it? i am never denying the fact that we indians need to improve,but at the same time we cant say "ok we rape foreigners so let them rape our fellow men,is that the way?"
its just shunning responsibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
While I agree rascism exists everywhere including our country, but what is happening in Australia is simply not pardonable! The hudlums there are targetting Indian students, taxi drivers etc and brutully assaulting them, some are in critical condition! We need to stand together and strongly condemn such racial attacks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
i went through this topic and i feel that people are really not seeing the seriousness of the issue.yup foreigners are raped in our country but there is no organized trend towards a particular community or people of one country.what has happened in Australia is definitely condemnable.it was particularly targeted against Indians and the police did nothing to protect them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Are you surprised. They banned non-white immigrants until not so long ago.
Nice to see some people talking sense. Keep it up guys.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 14:12   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
the repeated use of verb 'beg' sounds like a case of sour grapes to me. because you could not survive in another country since you are so used to capability of bullying (and not necessarily bullying as you say), you want to term everybody else as begger. just because we don't bully doesn't mean we beg.

how many indians have you seen at a visa interview?
Vivek, There is a phrase "Ignorance is bliss". A lot of information posted on this thread is simply not true. But this misrepresentation is probably not intentional and posted due to their ignorance of the ground realities.

But its an uphill task correcting people's ignorance. I think its better for everyone to let them sleep in bliss instead of beating facts into them.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 14:44   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,716
Thanked: 424 Times
Default

I agree with people who say that Indians are most racist people in the world.

Westerners are racist against people of other races. Indians are racist against their own people! There are places in Mumbai where you cannot buy or rent a house if you are non-vegetarian. Beat that!

While we cry about racism abroad, Indian politicians and government are blatantly racist against their own citizens.

As for Australia, they need to realise that Indian's are a big source of revenue for their educational universities. Indians should stop going there to study and immigrate. As simple as that. The Indian government should keep track of the investigation's closely and if things don't improve, bring out a advisory to the citizens to avoid going to Australia. Many western government's have put India on such a list in the past.

From personal expereince, Canada is among the best countries for immigrants. Indians should take their talent, money and intelligence to that beautiful and friendly country.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Lets keep political parties / personalities out of the discussion please.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 14:47   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Not wanting to take sides I cannot understand the logic of "Rascism exists in India so if we are victims its fine with us we should not be complaining". Does it mean two negatives make a positive in this case as well.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 15:04   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore/Singapore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

[quote=aerohit;1325669]I dont know why Indians go begging and serving other country in the first place when they hardly accept them by true feelings. Face it, it is not your land, it is their land, you hardly belong their as a third class citizen.

Buddy, looks like you had been thru rough, were you laid off or something in US. Aggression is showing. Not all indians go abroad begging, like you.

I relocated to Singapore after working in Bangalore for 10 years, with just one intention move back to india after sometime, just doing my bit of flushing all my funds from sing to inr. Regarding being 3rd grade citizen, depends on what work you are doing. If you are working abroad thru a body shopper, you may end up in similar fate like yours.

Buddy, next time before making a detremental statement remember there are bunch of others read to pounch on you.

I don't think you continue to bully foreigners in India as well, so better dont make such comments. God bess
lalith_ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 15:08   #68
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

May I remind you my dear friend, that the attacks occured in public transport - the connex train. Its extremely dangerous to take the train late at nights for Indians these days. this has always been the case , and is true for other ethnicities also. Whites are not spared either.


Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post

5. Use Transport facilities : Walking is cheaper and healthier. But, not the best option all the time. When in doubt, use public transport.

Having said that, its lovely to see the support from fellow Indians in India who are supporting us despite being half a world away. I am in Melbourne, was a student for the past 3 years and am still staying here. I have NOT faced racism , and I dont intend to test my luck by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That being said, the police is right when they say that a lot of this is opportunistic crime. however this does not mean that 'curry bashing' does not occur. However I would like to dispute someones claim on this thread that 'several Indians have been killed already'. Not a single Indian has been killed. the student who was severely beaten has now come out of his coma and is not in danger. This does not decrease the severity of the situation but I would like to stop any rumours.

I have just attended the peace rally and we did get satisfactory answers from the MPs (in power as well as opposition). Luckily for us the Indian PM has already taken up the issue at the higher levels and the police have made several arrests.

In the developed world, Australia has the lowest police ratio to public. Its impossible to stop a crime - this is true anywhere in the world. However our grudge with the cops was that they did not investigate or make any arrests despite a number of complaints. This has already been rectified in the past 2 days.

Finally, the situation isnt as horrible as its being made out to be by the media. For eg: A boy was stabbed 17 times yesterday at one of the stations - however it was a white guy. Had this been an Indian , maybe the media would have taken it up as a racist attack? Overall, we are thankful for the attention that this has raked up. But I do believe the police when they say that given the larger number of Indians ; there are times when they are a target just as anyone else. However its the racist bashings which do occur from time to time which need to be acted against strongly.

Also, another member rightly pointed out that not all Aussies (in fact a vast majority) are extremely nice folks. Its the extremely small percent of druggies or junkies who would cut their own parents for fun / money who are responsible for these attacks. These need to be stopped and looked into asap.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 15:17   #69
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thanks, atleast you are OK with rest of my statement

The fact is Aussies dont come begging to India, it is Indians who go begging. The very fact that they are shaking and sweating during visa interview proves it. This puts Indians in tough situation unfortunately. Wish India was a little more united.
Ok, I am going to take this particular statement extremely personally.

First, Australia does not have visa interviews at all for students. I think the gentleman here is confused with another country. So we certainly do not shake or sweat (perhaps you had a bad experience and want to insist that is the case for all?)

No one has been begging any other person. Australia has helped me to open up my mind to the world in general. I have met people from different races with extremely different perspectives which would have been impossible in India. Without going into details, if one were to ask me given an option would I do it again , my answer would be, hell yeah!

How racist are we? Well - my partner / girlfriend happens to be Chinese. Whenever I mention this fact to a friend or relative in India ; its usually met with 'oh, chinki huh - u must be having fun'. The same is true for any other mixed race couple where one partner is Indian. Thats also the reason that such couples are unable to stay in India whereas lots of them are to be found abroad. BTW, please spare me with the narrow minded presumptions of such couples only existing because of visa / green card / citizenship. If you really believe everyone is in because of these things, you seriously need a passport and a round the world ticket.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 15:36   #70
BHPian
 
Gagan.js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
How racist are we? Well - my partner / girlfriend happens to be Chinese. Whenever I mention this fact to a friend or relative in India ; its usually met with 'oh, chinki huh - u must be having fun'. The same is true for any other mixed race couple where one partner is Indian. Thats also the reason that such couples are unable to stay in India whereas lots of them are to be found abroad. BTW, please spare me with the narrow minded presumptions of such couples only existing because of visa / green card / citizenship. If you really believe everyone is in because of these things, you seriously need a passport and a round the world ticket.
Tell me about it, cousin got his German gf to Mumbai, carter road, imbeciles on the street asked among themselves where did he hire the prostitute from...., be careful and try not to lose your mind if you ever walk with your gf here. Not saying it doesn't happen outside India, but its just more often here, even in a open minded city like Mumbai. I can't even imagine what can happen in smaller cities/towns.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 15:36   #71
BHPian
 
rsjaurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Batala
Posts: 775
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
The indifference to this incident on this forum is SHOCKING. This forum is a very good example showcasing the fact that Indians are the most self critical and self doubting people in the world.

We don't have unity, we will never stand up for anyone and will accept the beating at the hands of the noble white man.

To be very honest, this forum have angered me far more than the attack itself.

And also remember that around 20 attacks on Indians have taken place in last one month alone. Many Indians have died already. We are already called "dot heads" "curry muncher" "apu" etc etc.

Ancestors of the same people took away children from the aboriginals and sent them to Church run orphanages where the aboriginal children were sexually exploited, this was done because the Christian white man thought that the aboriginals cannot take care of their own children.

Yet look at the indifference shown by people like Sam Kapasi.

If this would have happened to some Chinese, this would have been in the weekly edition of newsweek-time-economist. But because of lack of guts to stand up for ourself, this will soon be forgotten till next attack will happen. Remember what the Chinese did to CarreFour when the Olympic torch bearers were attacked in France by Tibetans.

It is because of this attitude we Indians are considered pushover, remember how the Australian PM turned us down when we requested the sale of Uranium the reason they gave for this was non-proliferation, yet this doesn't stop Australia to sell Uranium to China.

When the evangelical missionaries were burnt alive in Orissa by tribal, it was a huge news all over, the Australians were livid with anger . The western press was condemning the Hindus society as a whole. The NGOs were protesting. Our own media was putting the story on the front page.

When the "racial gesture/ ape / maaki" incident happened with Andrew Symonds, again Australians made sure it came to notice and it was on their front page.

Yet when Indians are stabbed to death, they are attacked in trains and are looted and are called curry muncher-dot_heads etc etc, we Indians rather than standing up for our brethren are in fact giving the benefit of doubt to the noble white man of Australia.

Explain to me what is not racist about those white boys beating the Indian in the train ?

Explain to me what does Indian skin tones and skin cream have anything to do with race-ism ?

India have nothing to lose by boycotting these Australians, because most of the trade we do involves raw materials and tourism(also educational tourism).

China taught France a good lesson and showed that they have balls, when are we going to grow our own pair ?

But seems some of us are quite happy with our pushover personality.

No wonder that Kasab and his pals were confident on taking on a city of 14 million people.
I completely agree with you Anmol.Few posts here have also shocked me more than the attacks.

I dont have anything else to say what Anmol and few other have said.


Quote:
Not wanting to take sides I cannot understand the logic of "Rascism exists in India so if we are victims its fine with us we should not be complaining". Does it mean two negatives make a positive in this case as well.
This is what few members are suggesting us to keep our mouth shut because something like that also happens here as well.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 31st May 2009 at 15:41.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 19:19   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
This is what few members are suggesting us to keep our mouth shut because something like that also happens here as well.
At least I have been opposing the people who are using this opportunity to boycott foreign goods, brag about bullying foreigners in India, and berate good willed immigrants. This is simply not the solution.

boasting of simply not immigrating anywhere ever is escapism.

protests are definitely welcome and supported. but you have to give a fair chance to police and govt.

another thing I have heard about aussies is they are born sarcastics. no mater whether they are talking to us or within themselves, it always sounds rude. similar to Jats who may be apologizing and still make us feel insulted with their tone.

i love those Jats posted at military entrances trying to shoo people away.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 20:15   #73
BHPian
 
Brabus E V12's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London/NewDelhi
Posts: 388
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Tell me about it, cousin got his German gf to Mumbai, carter road, imbeciles on the street asked among themselves where did he hire the prostitute from...., be careful and try not to lose your mind if you ever walk with your gf here. Not saying it doesn't happen outside India, but its just more often here, even in a open minded city like Mumbai. I can't even imagine what can happen in smaller cities/towns.
That happens because we are still a developing country. Had your cousin been married to a German or Mr Takumi San had you been married to a native Aussie in the 60s or 70s, both of you would have got comments and stares in Germany and Australia itself. Before singing praises of the open minded West for a moment please think about the reason. They are developed countries who have an open view because of literacy/exposure to foreign cultures unlike India which still has more than half its population who are illiterate and uneducated. And please dont tell me literacy/exposure does not affect this. Go to the interior parts of Australia or Germany with your native partners and you'll know what I mean.

I agree that all Aussies are not racist but the Aussie Cricket Team does project a very Racist image of their country.

I also agree that there are a few Desi students abroad who get overwhelmed by seeing the western culture. I don't ever support their behaviour but does that mean its fine for them to get beaten up and for us to say its ok we Indians are racist so if they got beaten up, tough?

This way we should support Air France as well, saying that if they were in India, IA or AI would have also not given them any food or drinks? So if it happens in our backyard, we should not complain about the same treatment as abroad. That way we will never progress. I thought Indians go abroad to broaden their horizons but they are beaten up and told to go back home, then that has to be condemned, not supported.

Nuff said, this is an interesting thread, and what I said above is my personal opinion, not intented to offend anyone.
Brabus E V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 21:54   #74
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

Racism has no place in the modern World, who so ever is racist is anti humanity & action has to be taken against such social evil. That said, there are numerous incidents of trashing/attacks/murder in India for which nobody/nothing is accountable, why such a big hue & cry for the ones who deserted their own land on one pretext or the other!
Indians have been migrating in hordes & taking up immigrants jobs, studying like hell & topping their universities, above all sticking to their own rotten/hypocratic social values. Such outbursts against such community were very expected. Its a famous saying "while in Rome, do what the Romans do", but Indians want to create India where ever they go, which is not accepted by the local population.

I am not surprised by such happenings & there are far bigger issues to delt back home than just waste time on some small issues.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 22:56   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,630
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

2) As for Australia, they need to realise that Indian's are a big source of revenue for their educational universities. Indians should stop going there to study and immigrate. As simple as that. The Indian government should keep track of the investigation's closely and if things don't improve, bring out a advisory to the citizens to avoid going to Australia. Many western government's have put India on such a list in the past.
1) We Indians are racist against themselves. This is due to different culture followed in India and generally rather than mixing up, we end up being racist.

2) Its quite tough not to go out of country for studies. I have just finished my graduation and was seriously considering going to Australia. Even had talk with parents and relatives about the same, and was about to start preparations. But these incidences changed my mind.

The problem is that education in India is A ) Not afforadable to all B) Not all can reach the highest level.

What we need is education that is good for even average students. Till then people will continue to go abroad.
Getting even admission into good university is quite tough and the facts like contacts/influence matter a lot along with money. This is true fact, I have seen this and experienced personally also.
The pathetic attitude of Indian education ( which is based on marks and not values ) institutions is the reason why we have to abroad.

And as you have pointed out, we are racist against ourselves, how can we expect others to respect us.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK Indian wins racism case against Honda - 13 Feb 2008 alabjarus The International Automotive Scene 4 13th February 2008 18:45
Racism or Alertness? khanak Shifting gears 52 1st September 2006 14:40
Lady on a Europe - Australia bike tour. Visits India. prasadee Superbikes & Imports 1 19th August 2006 20:25
ICE costs @ Australia/Thailand s0uljah In-Car Entertainment 6 14th April 2006 12:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks