Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th May 2009, 21:26   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Racism in Australia

It's shocking to hear the racist attacks on Indians in Australia. The attitude of the Govt and the Police is pathetic. Reminds me of my college days in UK. Though I was lucky not to be assaulted, I faced verbal abuse and dicrimination at the Police station. Same time wasting tactics. Just like the Indian cricket team fought back against the Australians in the sledging and racial abuse incident, we must do the same. As a token way of protesting the treatment meted out to me in UK, I started boycotting all British and Australian products. Let us all join in this protest to show solidarity to our Indian brothers and sisters all over the world who are being vicitimised just because they are Indians.
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 21:50   #2
BHPian

This is a global problem and exists in each and every country including ours. And I guess, as India becomes more and more dominant in the global scenario, these incidents are bound to rise, as there is a development of insecurity amongst the people in developed countries.

Case in point? The term 'ricer' which we use commonly for weirdly modded cars, actually started off as a racial slur on Japanese immigrants in America driving Jap imports (not necessarily weirdly modded).

Yes, we need to have a concrete long-term solution on this issue, instead of giving knee-jerk reactions over isolated incidents.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 21:55   #3
BHPian

I dont know why Indians go begging and serving other country in the first place when they hardly accept them by true feelings. Face it, it is not your land, it is their land, you hardly belong their as a third class citizen.

Even as a foreign student, you are only helping their economy, by paying tution.
It is shame that newspapers like TOI encourage "study abroad" out of limits.
India has good education, books are same everywhere, 2+2 is same in India or AUS.

I feel proud living in India after returning from US. Now, I can look up, and bully as many foreigners i want. It is my country, my land, I am the boss.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I dont know why Indians go begging and serving other country in the first place when they hardly accept them by true feelings. Face it, it is not your land, it is their land, you hardly belong their as a third class citizen.

Even as a foreign student, you are only helping their economy, by paying tution.
It is shame that newspapers like TOI encourage "study abroad" out of limits.
India has good education, books are same everywhere, 2+2 is same in India or AUS.

I feel proud living in India after returning from US. Now, I can look up, and bully as many foreigners i want. It is my country, my land, I am the boss.

Just one question! Why did you go to the US in the first place ?

Last edited by pranava999 : 29th May 2009 at 22:05.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
He must have realised his mistake after going there. Better late than never. Mera Bharat Mahan!
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:31   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
He must have realised his mistake after going there. Better late than never. Mera Bharat Mahan!
I realized my mistake after going to the UK. Indeed "MERA BHARAT MAHAN".
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2009, 22:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I can look up, and bully as many foreigners i want. It is my country, my land, I am the boss.
and so the cycle of bullying continues.

immigration is a natural process. If you decide to stay where you are, you will stay where you are. You can not really progress or lead others to progress if you do that.

Racial attacks are indeed an issue and have to be resolved, but immigration ( or lack of it) is not a solution for this.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 00:31   #8
BHPian

What about racism in our own country. North vs South, Bihari's vs Maharashtrians. I think we need to look within before we analyze others.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 01:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to see the same base mentality here too. Indians are possibly even more racist then the communities mentioned here. But we simply excel at everything that is a farce. And as an icing on the cake, we will even shout and scream that we are oh-so-pious!
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 01:54   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
So that he could learn how to bully foreigners
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Racist behaviour is seen all over the world. Having seen Australia, UK and USA.. I can tell you that US/Canada is one of the best places in the world for Indians to emigrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Let us all join in this protest to show solidarity to our Indian brothers and sisters all over the world who are being vicitimised just because they are Indians.
On a related note, racism is there in India too along with communityism, casteism, stateism, religionism, skin colorism, languageism etc etc.....list goes on. So, no point bitching about Aussies only. Indians are up there among the worlds worst. First try to do something about your own country.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th May 2009 at 02:12.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Australia IIRC was not open for Immigrants for long time unlike UK,USA etc.Correct me.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 04:01   #13

An eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind. - Mahatma Gandhi.
pratap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 04:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

I didn't want to start a new thread about this but what's up with the way Fiat names its colours? One of the colours offered on the Linea is Hip Hop Black. Extremely inappropriate I think.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 04:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Let us all join in this protest to show solidarity to our Indian brothers and sisters all over the world who are being vicitimised just because they are Indians
Thanks, but I doubt you would go shopping for iron ore, coal and assorted minerals. Because those are the major exports. And Fosters isn't really popular here.

Quote:
Lol .. wait till you hit a cyclist on the road and get beaten black and blue by a mob of proud countrymen. Maybe then you will reconsider your opinion.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote