Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 29th January 2010, 21:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I notice many of my co-workers purchase 12-pack and 24-pack mini water bottles !!! Thats a lot of plastic bottles to be throwing away.

I usually purchase a 10 liter mini drum of mineral water for my cubicle and use biodegradable styrofoam cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Most Indians have habit of asking for polythene bag even if they are buying just 1 toothpaste or a chocolate.
Reg, plastic bags...this is a real biggie. In places like Germany and California grocery stores are required (BY LAW) to charge extra for plastic bags so that people are motivated to bring their own bags to shop.

Discount bulk retailer in US called Sam's club does not even offer any kind of bags. You bring your own or you can pick up one of their recycled carbdoard boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
I have stopped taking down notes dictated by lecturers, save pages, save trees. Save environment.
Good one aerohit. But you can also take notes on your laptop or smartphone although its not easy for old dogs like myself to learn these new tricks.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th January 2010 at 02:53.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 21:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I did it like once in two months . I don't care as long as the glasses are clear and visible.

I deserve a jeep.
+1 to that. I do the same on my XETA. Using a body cover helps keep dirt away for a little longer.
abdriver2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 21:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
just make sure you calculate how much water your drainage system needs (end to end). your savings will probably warrant massive repairs if the system dries and gets clogged a few hundred feet from your house over time.
He he, I didn't mean those 2 Ltr soft drink bottles.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 21:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

1. No plastic bags for daily shopping. Reuse existing
bags. Always carry around cloth bags which can hold some urgent
shopping.

2. Shifting bulbs from incandecent to CFL as and when they blow out.

3. Old cartons are used as storage bins for collectibles.

4. Rain water harvesting. Using ground water whenever
posstible. (car is washed in ground water).
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 22:09   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

CFL's get stolen at my place what to do man?though inside home CFL's rule and what are kitchen chimney lamps?not CFL's i presume...
i always carry my backpack(i am a motorcyclist) with me so i never have to ask for plastic bags but here they usually go out of their way to offer you many and customers too demand it,
plastic bags are the biggest nuisance here along with beer/wine bottles
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tremendous water shortage is being felt by all of us here at Bangalore, even before the summer has started! Going by the statistics appearing in our newspapers, there is a 30% shortfall in supply.
To put it simplistically, I guess all of us here need to use 30% less water to tide over the crisis. So here's what I started doing from today (should have started this much earlier):

1. Have short, quick showers, in lukewarm water (it's hot anyway).
2. Just wet wipe my cars (forget the splashing).
3. Keep liquid soap at all wash basins, so that people rinse their hands before opening the taps (if not, people tend to keep rinsing with the soap bars while the water keeps running away merrily).
4. Check all taps more frequently to ensure they are kept closed, and particularly when we shut down our office for the day (I have closed dribbling taps/faucets on at least a dozen occasions at my office in the recent past).

Long term : planning for rain water harvesting wherever I can.

Any more suggestions to tide over the immediate crisis?

Last edited by mooza : 23rd February 2010 at 17:12.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Some more additions Mooza:

My Wife and I try to follow the below system and our staff at home is also instructed accordingly. So far, we have achieved compliance on this.

Wash basin taps to be kept closed at the time one is brushing one's teeth.
Also, as you said, while one is washing one's hands.
Additionally taps to be kept closed when the plates, cups and other utensils are being washed.
Use the Washing Machine on the "Low Water" + "Eco-cycle" which usually gets done in about 33-36 minutes rather than put it on the long 47 -54 minute cycle.
Use cold water to wash clothes instead of hot water cycle.
Use a Bucket and Mug instead of a hosepipe to clean one's vehicles.
Dont wash the car/ bike daily - move to a system where the vehicle is washed about twice a week or even if possible, once a week instead. This will also help by reducing propensity to rust and spoil the paint. (Yes the car will appear a bit dusty but frankly one can live with that, in view of the larger water crisis I think.)
Use a Bucket, Mug and Watering can system to water one's garden/plants.
Stop taking showers for the period of crisis and use the Bucket and Mug system instead for baths for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Tremendous water shortage is being felt by all of us here at Bangalore, even before the summer has started! Going by the statistics appearing in our newspapers, there is a 30% shortfall in supply.
To put it simplistically, I guess all of us here need to use 30% less water to tide over the crisis. So here's what I started doing from today (should have started this much earlier):

1. Have short, quick showers, in lukewarm water (it's hot anyway).
2. Just wet wipe my cars (forget the splashing).
3. Keep liquid soap at all wash basins, so that people rinse their hands before opening the taps (if not, people tend to keep rinsing with the soap bars while the water keeps running away merrily).
4. Check all taps more frequently to ensure they are kept closed, and particularly when we shut down our office for the day (I have closed dribbling taps/faucets on at least a dozen occasions at my office in the recent past).

Long term : planning for rain water harvesting wherever I can.

Any more suggestions to tide over the immediate crisis?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 23rd February 2010 at 17:20.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

guys,

any one has done solar lighting at their house. kindly advice! I want to have small appliances like TV, Fan to run on Solar. What would be the cost of same?

Also,

any one using solr cooker here? please advice!

With news of LPG, electicity price increase this option would be economical as well!

Kindly advice

Thank you
recshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 18:20   #24
BHPian

Default The Eco Thread

Starting this thread to discuss/share information on Eco Friendly initiatives, setups etc...

1. For Indian tropical climate (Bangalore outskirts) What are the fastest growing Shade Trees that one can plant?
Approx what height does it grow to say per year ?

2. Has anyone installed a Solar Energy setup of say 1KVA which powers all the lights/fans ? If so, how much did it cost you? and do you find it economically viable given the initial cost ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 18:33   #25
BHPian

Good thread. I am also looking to install Solar Energy setup at my native town. My parants are staying in Vidarbh where load shading goes upto 6 hours. It will be great idea to install Solar powered evenrgy system.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 19:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

The second biggest operating expense of any IT company happens to be power. And major part of the power is consumed by AC. When I started construction of our company building in 2006, I was open to unconventional methods of cooling. But I was not able to catch of hold of any vendor who could make it happen.

For example, I was aware of geothermal cooling systems for many years. Since we had enough land behind the building to accommodate the extensive piping, I figured we can make it happen. We had enough borewell water to maintain a pool to extra cooling power. However, when I contacted various people who claimed to have geothermal expertise in India, all I got was clueless to surprised to stupid reaction. In other words, nobody knew how to install and maintain geothermal colling systems. And I didn't want to turn into a guinea pig in the hands of inexperienced installers. So I went with traditional AC solutions.

If geothermal cooling was a reality in India, then we could save loads and loads of energy .
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 19:54   #27
BHPian

My dad is not able to find the simple solar powered energy system for our home.

Seems like Geothermal Cooling is way long

Here in Germany I saw lot of home uses solar power evergy for all their needs. Though they have enough energy.

I wonder why in India it is not available though we need it.
pawan_pullarwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 20:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I wonder why in India it is not available though we need it.
Ummm, it is! There's lots of companies that help setup solar lighting and heating systems - and I know of homes that are completely off the grid! Tata BP, Selco, and a bunch of smaller independent players are into this. Its quite a popular option in Ladakh, Coorg and other such remote regions. Its just that in Bangalore and similar places we've gotten used to either the government doing things for us, or merely feeling helpless
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 23:38   #29
BHPian

Here is a list of few things that I do! (some of them since last 24 yrs!)
1) Use bucket & mug for bath. Shower only when in a hotel if they have no bucket facility!
2) No running tap while brushing/shaving
3) Car wash - once in 2 weeks if it is really dirty. Use bucket/mug
4) Use of rain/waste water collected for gardening/car cleaning etc
5) Use fan/lights only when & where it is necessary
6) Converted all lighting to CFL and now looking for LED
7) Use rechargeable cells
8) Planting of trees
9) Use one sided papers
10) Do not throw garbage/plastics/bottles etc. dispose them through collection centers or garbage collectors
11) No electrical equipment in standby mode. It is always switched off when not in use
12) Do not take U-turn at any median gaps (even if it means some distance till a proper signal...it saves energy of other vehicles!)
13) Do not park on busy/narrow roads. I stopped going to some areas due to this problem!
14) Solar water heating. Now looking for solar lighting, last time I checked it was about 40K for a basic system!
15) Collect all my garbage while on picnic and dispose it at my home along with rest of the garbage!
16) Talk to my colleagues, friends & family on energy saving and leaving no/lesser footprint on this planet!
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 16:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Here is a list of few things that I do! (some of them since last 24 yrs!)
10) Do not throw garbage/plastics/bottles etc. dispose them through collection centers or garbage collectors
12) Do not take U-turn at any median gaps (even if it means some distance till a proper signal...it saves energy of other vehicles!)
13) Do not park on busy/narrow roads. I stopped going to some areas due to this problem!
Can you explain 12 & 13, don't get the logic.

As with #10, do we have garbage collection centers in bangalore ? All I have seen is a box to dispose CD/batteries in offices and some malls.
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote