Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 22nd April 2010, 18:44   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
some of it escapes in form of light. most of it hits the walls and gets dissipated as heat.
This is where I actually I have doubt. Does light hitting on an object turn into heat or something else?.
santhosh_kumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 01:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhosh_kumard View Post
This is where I actually I have doubt. Does light hitting on an object turn into heat or something else?.
light is radiation in visible spectrum. when infrared, it heats, when ultraviolet, it can actually change chemical structure of the target.

So I guess not necessarily heat. it will cause damage to the box in other ways depending upon the box material and the spectrum of the light itself.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:19   #48
BHPian

It is really surprising that in an automobile forum none mentioned
- driving optimally and not showing off your car BHP
- judicious use of car a/c
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 11:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

There are small valves below a total of 8 washbasins in my office. I have turned all of them them to 50 % closed position, to reduce the excessive pressure from taps, which is resulting in tremendous savings in water.

Also, last month I have implemented rainwater harvesting with a 1000 ltrs Sintex tank for re-using the rain water (with filter, piping, taps), for a total cost of around Rs. 13,000/-. It took just a day to complete the job.
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 16:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Firstly a thread which am going to love!

Naveen, agree totally with you.

Few things which i have noticed which i feel the architects of these IT parks are messing up.

Lots of concrete, Glass and trees/plants which are used for beauty sake, i remember couple of years back walking around EGL campus was a big challenge during the summers...

If one has seen the old government offices which has so many tress surrounding the campus the temperature is very bearable even during the harsh summers people can do with or without a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I think this is somewhere where large corporations and companies need to improve - badly. Are the large buildings made of glass really helping us in conserving energy? AFAIK, large glass buildings (like most of the IT companies) are actually creating large greenhouses that trap the hot air inside them. And to cool the temperatures down inside, they increase the air-conditioning. So, more energy lost. In some companies, I have not even seen a window that can be opened in these glass ovens! Surely, we can design better structures by using better material - material that is suited for our climates. Rather than simply copy the designs and materials used in western countries - where such material actually makes sense. Their climates actually need the greenhouse effect to work for them - so that the insides of the buildings actually stay warm.

Am I right or am I right?

Another thing I notice often is - people come to shop in large shopping malls and carry out their purchases in umpteen plastic bags - large ones. I mean, if they really try, they can stuff it all into 2 bags. I rather, carry my own bags when I go to these places. Some people never learn.
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 19:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Everyday tips for an Environment Friendly Lifestyle

Every day is Environment conservation day and it is great to share and get tips to this effect.

Some of the daily activities that would make a difference-

Water:

Automatic water controller: Install this in your pumping system which automatically starts and stops your water motor sensing the level of water in your sump and over head tank.

Believe me there is so much of water wasted everyday in manual pumping with human intervention. You will surely save not only water but also water bills going down.

Rain Water Harvesting: though mandatory in many states, can be installed across in every home. It collects water from every outlet pipe from your roof and channels it into a pit (recharges ground water) or a purifier (then collects into a septic tank for normal usage)

This is one of the most environment friendly methods of conserving water and recharging the ground water level

Electricity:

Solar water heaters: again mandatory in some states, these heat water on a regular basis for bathing etc and saves huge amounts of electricity.

Have found the system to be very efficient and works most days in a year with zero maintenance. One time investment with years and years of returns.

LED Bulbs and Solar Lanterns: LED bulbs are getting popular by the day and are the most efficient of the lot. Even the prices are dropping regularly and can be used atleast in the places of long duration lighting requirement.

This coupled in Solar Lanterns provide many hours of lighting in case of power outages and one should have at least a couple of these lanterns. The prices start from as low as Rs.1k
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 10:10   #52
BHPian

Points which are not discussed.

- Collect and use Aquaguard's/any water purifier waste water for cleaning floor, vessels, washing machine, car or for trees. In a day for a family of 2 adults and one kid i save atleast 1-1 1/2 bucket of water, imagine doing this in company and how many buckets of water you save.
This is one of the most ignored by many.

- If already bought gyzers install auto cut off feature. Though we use instant water heaters with auto cut off.

- Cook your food in Aquaguard(any water purifier) water/Cauvery water(bangalore residents) and not use bore water as its takes lot of time to cook thus saving on GAS.

- last tip is to stay as close as possible to your office which can save lot of your energy, fuel and avoid BP and many more..
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 11:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the tips given in this thread, one more thing that I follow is not to use the lift or elevator while going downstairs.

I guess if one's residence/office is not above the 3rd or 4th floor, this can be practiced easily every time even by a person of average fitness.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Points which are not discussed.

- --
- Cook your food in Aquaguard(any water purifier) water/Cauvery water(bangalore residents) and not use bore water as its takes lot of time to cook thus saving on GAS.

Sounds interesting. Can you explain the reason behind the same.

cheers
ZedMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post

cheers
Here one article regarding this:

The desirable limit of nitrate in drinking water as per IS 10500:1991 of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is 45 mg/l, while the desirable limit in the absence of alternate source is 100 mg/l.

As per the revised addition in 2003 to IS 10500:1991, both desirable and permissible limits are 45 mg/l.According to the World Health Organization (WHO) of 1993, nitrate should not exceed 50 mg/l as nitrogen (i.e., 225 mg/l as nitrate), while according to the European Union (EU) standards of 1998 it should not exceed 50 mg/l as nitrate.

According to the revised guidelines of WHO of 2006, nitrate should not exceed 50 mg/l, while according to the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) it should not exceed 10 mg/l as nitrogen (i.e., 45 mg/l as nitrate).
It must however be noted that only infants under six months of age are susceptible to nitrate poisoning. Bacteria that live in the digestive tracts of newborn babies convert nitrate into nitrite, which reacts with haemoglobin carrying oxygen in blood to result in methemoglobinemia, also called blue-baby syndrome.

As a result, the baby suffers from oxygen deficiency. The baby’s skin particularly around the eyes and mouth becomes bluish, while blood shows chocolate brown colour instead of the normal bright colour. While the baby dies in the absence of medical treatment, the baby makes full recovery if medical treatment is given for nitrate poisoning.

Once baby attains the age of six months, the digestive system gets fully developed with the level of hydrochloric acid in the stomach adequate enough to kill the bacteria that converts nitrate into nitrite. There will be then no risk of blue-baby syndrome.
Your bore well water can be used for all purposes other than drinking and cooking by all the members of your family including infants. In the case of infants, packaged drinking water should be used for feeding. No harm is expected to others even if they use the bore well water for drinking and cooking.

As nitrate is highly soluble in water, it cannot be easily removed. Simple household treatment procedures such as boiling, filtration, disinfection and water softening will not be able to remove nitrate. Boiling actually increases the nitrate concentration of the remaining water. Distillation, ion exchange, reverse osmosis or electrodialysis can be used to remove nitrate.
Potential sources of nitrate include septic systems, animal waste, commercial fertilizer and decaying organic matter. Surface water which comes in contact with a source of nitrate moves downward through soil to become high-nitrate groundwater.

As nitrate is generally high in shallow rather than deep groundwater, the high nitrate content of your deep bore well water must be because of the entry of high-nitrate surface water or shallow groundwater into your well. The wellhead should be properly protected by grouting around the outside of the well casing for a depth of 10 feet or until the top loose formation gives way to hard rock (whichever is higher), besides placing a concrete slab around the wellhead. By this, entry of any high-nitrate surface water or shallow groundwater is prevented and the nitrate content of your bore well water gets reduced in course of time.and thereby ensure that no surface water or shall groundwater enters into the bore well.

You may study the picture and description at WB+AD Morgan | Drilling for water to know the precautions you have to take to prevent top contaminated water from entering into your well. There is however no need to fix any screen or gravel pack in your bore well as shown in the picture.
balechaparka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 14:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post

cheers
Most of the Bore water are hard water and not soft water.

More info here, check the comments by people aswell.
Hard water and failed, failed beans « Cleaner Plate Club

http://www.cookingchoice.com/htdoc/g...of_water.shtml

Last edited by brraj : 29th June 2012 at 14:51.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2012, 22:15   #57
BHPian

Guys,

Can you think about an INK Pen?

How much plastic does a plastic pen generate?

Can you have the pain of filling an ink pen and going about using it?

Buy one if you dont already have it.

Take the pain to fill one with ink and have it.

One of the thing you can tell other T-Bhpians to follow.
KL01BE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 13:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

A simple but effective way to be environmentally friendly and yet practical approach is to do away with paper bills and swith to ebills. Come to think of it many of us at least all of the TBHPians have access to internet and can view the bills online, then why should you request for a paper bill.

If one starts counting there are so many and more utilities that can offer e bills such as -
  • Bank/ credit card statement
  • Mobile/ internet bill
  • etickets
Now multiply as many of these to the number of your family members and you would save a whopping amount of paper in a year!
Old 6th November 2012, 15:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
A simple but effective way to be environmentally friendly and yet practical approach is to do away with paper bills and swith to ebills. Come to think of it many of us at least all of the TBHPians have access to internet and can view the bills online, then why should you request for a paper bill.
While I appreciate the idea of saving paper, but I would like to clear the misconception that doing things online is environment friendly.

It takes a lot of energy to power the servers used by the service providers to generate and maintain bills online, it takes lot of energy for email service providers to maintain their email servers, it takes lot of energy for internet service providers to maintain their network and finally it takes a lot of energy for all our computers to get online and view/pay our bills.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against doing things online. But we should not have the misconception that we are doing a favour to the environment just by avoiding paper bills.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2012, 19:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
It takes a lot of energy to power the servers used by the service providers to generate and maintain bills online, it takes lot of energy for email service providers to maintain their email servers, it takes lot of energy for internet service providers to maintain their network and finally it takes a lot of energy for all our computers to get online and view/pay our bills.
Rightly said thats a great point of view and one must think the other side to it too.

The only point here is that all these companies / utilities are providing the ebill option anyways by putting all that infrastructure in place for all the customers.

So there is no additional burden that we put on them except at our end and if we do have the computer and connectivity running for other purposes like work, then we can leverage it to this as well else the other option is fine.