Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 8th June 2009, 13:09   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

They may not realise it today, but a 10th, 12th / Diploma & eventually a Bachelors is a MUST in today's times. Not too many value education in school, as much as they do later on in life.

Please ask them to reappear & successfully pass the 10th grade. There really isn't another option. Lots of time in life, later, for work & practical experience.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 13:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They may not realise it today, but a 10th, 12th / Diploma & eventually a Bachelors is a MUST in today's times. Not too many value education in school, as much as they do later on in life.

Please ask them to reappear & successfully pass the 10th grade. There really isn't another option. Lots of time in life, later, for work & practical experience.
+1 to that.

I strongly suggest that they reappear for the exams and pass them.
A formal education is a must unless you intend to work for yourself as in a biz.

Some of the options are ridiculous like Bouncers and so on. No offence meant, but is that a carrier option when the young boy today turns 30 in a couple of years.

I failed my 12th. Cleared my Mathematics paper in the third attempt. This was a very confused stage in my life. Esp since I had scored 93% in my 1oth.

Went on to complete my B.Sc. and later my MCA as a Gold Medallist for the best project.

Today have completed almost 6 years plus in Worlds Largest Application Development Company.

If anything these boys are lucky. They have failed in something that can be redeemed and in fact gives them an opportunity to grow stronger emotionally.

All they need is support and the right direction.
And I have a feeling from the tone in pedrolourenco post that they have a true friend who will do just that.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 14:33   #18
BHPian

Well put, but three attempts may mean they are too dis-heartened. Learning the car mechanics trade by the old route - as in joining as an apprentice even if the pay is peanuts is the best way if they want to. They can later open up a garage. As most car owners will agree, having a good way with cars and their owners and maintaining quality as paramount will see them succeed.

However, nothing will replace the education that they are missing out on in this day and age. They will find it hard to fit in normal society. At least 12th pass is a minimum. Perhaps clearing by privately appearing for exams would help. A good tutor will also make all the difference. Contrary to popular perception, the boards want all students to pass and the weak ones are definitely given a strong push. Its only at the higher end that the marking becomes strict. Its a very young and tender age. Dont give them such options, impress the need for an education , I am sure they will succeed.
Takumi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 15:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
5. Chief minister of Bihar.

6. Eventually the Railways Minister of India?

The option are wide open in India.
Sam, don't you think they're over qualified for those
techn0l0gist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 17:23   #20
BHPian

Why dont you give them an option of completing 10th and 10+2 through Open School. Atleast their education will be complete in some way.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 17:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
5. Chief minister of Bihar.

6. Eventually the Railways Minister of India?

The option are wide open in India.
Err.. Lalu Yadav is B.A., LLB from Patna University. He was the president of Patna University Students Union during JP's days. His buffoonery is a well-played act, to hide a shrewd brain.

Disclaimer: I am no fan of the man, in fact I detest him and his kind.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 17:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Err.. Lalu Yadav is B.A., LLB from Patna University. He was the president of Patna University Students Union during JP's days. His buffoonery is a well-played act, to hide a shrewd brain.

Disclaimer: I am no fan of the man, in fact I detest him and his kind.

\N
I am sure Sam meant Rabri Devi Laloo's wife, who is not educated.

Edit: By saying eventually Railway Minister, he did mean Laloo. So mistake by Sam

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 8th June 2009 at 17:48.
hemanthisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 18:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

While there is no substitute for education some options are.

1. If they have good body then Open a Gym and become instructor.
Gym instructor between evening 5 - 9 and as bouncer in after hours.

2. DJ / remix artist if they have interest in music.

3. Catering is also a high margin business.

4. Work as apprentice at Car accessories / car Audio shop

5. Real estate broker

6. Taxi operator / Tour guide

7. Photographer / Videographer

If nothing works out then a grocery shop will definitely work for them
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 18:13   #24
BHPian

I completely agree with GTO's response. Please coax them to study. Never know when it will come in handy.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 18:25   #25
BHPian

1) Let them work and get exposed to how the lack of education can hinder their confidence,persona and respect in society.This is probably the only motivation that will work and this i speak out of my own experience.

2) Also I'm a firm believer that unless a person is declared medically unfit in the head, the prime motivation to reality is to lower their standards of life below than what they are used to . Its hits a person hard when he/she cannot live the same life their parents have provided and one always strives to get back to their comfort zone. Of course , with efforts, one betters what their parents have achieved, but a normal person can live the same at the least. Whether your parents are high class , middle class or whatever class , one always tends to stick to it as the minimum level of survival.

The second point is nothing to do with education and purely on Hard Work and Pride. If this can be instilled , then education can be stepped aside and they can still be successful in life.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 20:58   #26
BHPian

Its is not at all difficult to pass the 10th(SSC). I know this cause I just passed my SSC this and I barely studied the whole year round. I think they should get a few better teachers. I failed in 4 subject in my prelim exams and out of the 12 months I studied just 1 month before my SSC exams and I passed with ease getting a Second Class.

I suggest let them just try one more time and see to it that they have good teachers around them, as it really helps a lot. Its really difficult to fail, trust me.
indra_slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:03   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely speak to them. I need to speak to their mother too and tell her to act a bit tough with them and immediately stop all the pampering. No bikes and no mobiles will make life difficult for them and they'll be forced to start working on the studies.
pedrolourenco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:50   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely speak to them. I need to speak to their mother too and tell her to act a bit tough with them and immediately stop all the pampering. No bikes and no mobiles will make life difficult for them and they'll be forced to start working on the studies.
They have good chance if they get some private coaching and they attend it diligently. But having an SSC is the least they can do academically and it is very much required for most low level jobs too. Without commitment from them they won't change the pattern of results so it all depends on them finally.
zaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

the key here is to motivate them - anyone is capable of passing exams. Trust me, make sure they finish college, it'll be best for the long run.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 23:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
act a bit tough with them and immediately stop all the pampering. No bikes and no mobiles will make life difficult for them and they'll be forced to start working on the studies.
Seriously, ask them to start working right away as apprentice in some Auto shop.

That will make them realize what is the "value" of education.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote