Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 4th July 2011, 09:28   #136
Mik
BHPian

Default Re: The Tennis Thread

...and i am actually happy its dead. Wimbledon was so boring in the 90s because of the serve and volleyers. Its a treat to watch talents like Fed,Rafa and Djoker slugging it out on the baseline and making the occasional foray to the net.
As it is, with the level of play these guys are at, serve and volleyers will be doing just this.. serve and admiring the passing shots or the toe crushing returns.
On a different note, its nice to see a clutch of pretty good players in the same era. Reminiscent of the early 90s when edberg, courier, agassi, ivanisevic, becker and sampras were fighting it out. Did i miss someone out ?

An interesting analysis given in this link

straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/analysis-how-djokovic-beat-nadal/
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 09:42   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
Anyone know where I can get tennis lessons in Mumbai? Is 20 too old an age to start?
No age is too old.

Most clubs in Mumbai have tennis counts and all of them offer lessons. Usually the lessons are conducted by ex-ball boys who have slowly understood the rudiments of the game but not all of the physics.

The best appoach would be to get hold of past issues of Tennis Magazine, read a bit on the net and then approach a club. The first stages are basically understanding hand-eye coordination and where your body needs to be in relation to the ball. Remember tennis is 80% running and 20% hitting a ball so if you dont want to run find another sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Serve and Volley tennis at Wimbledon is now DEAD ! I mourn the loss !
Me too NC. Not all Serve and Volley was the Slobodan type. Edberg, McEnroe etc were artists compared to the baseline boomers.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 10:46   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Serve and Volley tennis at Wimbledon is now DEAD ! I mourn the loss !
Very true, but it was a little bit heartening to see Mardy Fish reach the quarters, the only remaining classic serve and volleyers in the top 20
mallumowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 02:40   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone know where I can get tennis lessons in Mumbai? Is 20 too old an age to start?
Yes, you can. Infact I envy you that you are starting it at 20. I started it when I was 25, when I was in Arizona. Youtube was/is still my teacher. Good luck mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
No age is too old.

Most clubs in Mumbai have tennis counts and all of them offer lessons. Usually the lessons are conducted by ex-ball boys who have slowly understood the rudiments of the game but not all of the physics.

The best appoach would be to get hold of past issues of Tennis Magazine, read a bit on the net and then approach a club..
Hi Navin, I stay in Airoli, do you have any info about clubs around this area. It will be of great help. Thanks
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 03:32   #140
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: The Tennis Thread

Quote:
Where in Mumbai are you located?

As far as I know MSLTA in Cooperage & Shivaji Park Gym provide tennis coaching lessons.
Else any club near your location should provide tennis lessons and some of them don't require you to be a member - you can enroll as a guest.
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 09:37   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
As far as I know MSLTA in Cooperage & Shivaji Park Gym provide tennis coaching lessons..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek View Post
Hi Navin, I stay in Airoli, do you have any info about clubs around this area. It will be of great help. Thanks
I have no idea about Airoli but just about every club where I live provides lessons. In addition to this there are lessons at many public parks.

I live in South Mumbai and there are lessons at CCI, NSCI, Bombay Gym, Willingdon, WodeHouse, MSLTA, Priya Darshani Park (PDP) and many many places. Usually the lessons are group lessons where there are 6-8 per group. I am NOT an advocate of these lessons although they are much more economical. The reason being is that most group lessons are conducted by glorified "ball boys". The Coaches that lend their name to these lessons are rarely present.

At a 1-1 lesson you can (a) get the Coach himself or (b) at the least get one of his junior coaches (most are ex-ball boys who had some talent in playing).

In addition to this once you have your stroke techniques worked out a wall in your neighbourhood can be an excellent teacher. I learnt to serve and volley against a wall and lost to it (the wall) 6-0 everytime.

Last edited by navin : 16th August 2012 at 13:19.
Old 16th August 2012, 10:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
your stroke techniques worked out a wall in your neighbourhood can be an excellent teacher
The Wall is where it should all begin rather than jumping straight into a 1 to 1 training etc. I remember 30 years back when I started, our coach did not let me off the wall for at least 2 months before I could set foot in the court. A proper wall strengthens your basics and it would be a boon if it had a painted line at the net height.

BTW, nice to see this thread exists here for us tennis players.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 13:19   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
our coach did not let me off the wall for at least 2 months.
So there was a coach na? Wall or not you need a coach.

That is what I was getting at. I used to teach tennis to kids with learning diffculties in the mid-80s (an exGF of mine was a teacher in a special school and I was helping her out) and with one-on-one training even children with limited motor ablities can get the ball over the net.

The easiest way to master basic techniques like the correct grip, keeping the knees bent, hitting through the ball, etc.. is easier in a one-on-one class than a wall. The wall returns the ball way too fast for basic (you can slow this down by hanging a net in front of the wall) technique. Once you got techniques right; the wall will help you fine tune them and is excellent for building muscle-memory.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:46   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to teach tennis to kids with learning diffculties in the mid-80s
So nice to know about your great work. For learning difficulty students, 1 to 1 is most essential. What I was getting at was the point that most newbies like to learn tennis in a jiffy. After getting your proper basics like the grip etc. right from a coach/experienced player, it is essential to practice on the wall every day till you get your strokes right, and then move onto playing proper tennis.

On tennis talk, right now we have a very good circuit going on in Meerut, with some players even playing in the over 40 Nationals and some even representing India abroad in the over 50 category. We have just converted our 3 Clay courts to floodlit ones with process of converting 2 to synthetic going on.

Here's a recent photo of our floodlit clay courts. You can see the proper tennis wall on the rear left -

Name:  Tennis courts floodlit.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  305.0 KB

Last edited by dkaile : 16th August 2012 at 13:55.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 01:28   #145
BHPian

Quote:
So nice to know about your great work. For learning difficulty students, 1 to 1 is most essential. What I was getting at was the point that most newbies like to learn tennis in a jiffy. After getting your proper basics like the grip etc. right from a coach/experienced player, it is essential to practice on the wall every day till you get your strokes right, and then move onto playing proper tennis.

Here's a recent photo of our floodlit clay courts. You can see the proper tennis wall on the rear left -
Yes, you are right, One got to start with the wall and stay with it, until basics are done. But then one need a good coach for those input.
Wow, your courts are superb, how I wish something like this come to my place. and synthetic conversion, Superb.
Quote:
I have no idea about Airoli but just about every club where I live provides lessons. In addition to this there are lessons at many public parks.

I live in South Mumbai and there are lessons at CCI, NSCI, Bombay Gym, Willingdon, WodeHouse, MSLTA, Priya Darshani Park (PDP) and many many places. Usually the lessons are group lessons where there are 6-8 per group. I am NOT an advocate of these lessons although they are much more economical. The reason being is that most group lessons are conducted by glorified "ball boys". The Coaches that lend their name to these lessons are rarely present.
Thanks a lot for that info. SoBo is too far for me though. I'm checking out the YMCA in Andheri. By the way, there are two courts in my Office complex, but no one to guide/accompany; though it helps me to have some physical exercise playing with friends.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:36   #146
BHPian

I am planning to learn tennis too. Started with damaging the wall in the living room Will move to the court once I am little confident. Somehow I feel I can be good with game, atleast at my society level, if I can run around for 45 mins at the court.

Last edited by MrinalSinha : 17th August 2012 at 12:57.
MrinalSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2012, 12:53   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I was getting at was the point that most newbies like to learn tennis in a jiffy. After getting your proper basics like the grip etc. right from a coach/experienced player, it is essential to practice on the wall every day till you get your strokes right, and then move onto playing proper tennis.
Exactly I think we are both sying the same thing, albeit a little differently. BTW I believe, I was only helping those kids to gain brownie points with my then girl friend (I was in my early 20s). It was purely selfish but a couple of kids did become friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
I am planning to learn tennis too. Started with the damaging the wall in the living room
You must have a huge living room. The perks of staying in a city other than Mumbai (in India) I guess. We live in pigeon holes.

Last edited by navin : 17th August 2012 at 12:56.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:34   #148
BHPian

Quote:
You must have a huge living room. The perks of staying in a city other than Mumbai (in India) I guess. We live in pigeon holes.
Noway huge! only it is kind of empty to allow me to play against the wall giving me 10 feet to practice whatever I want
MrinalSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 14:31   #149
E63
BANNED

Interesting Nadal vs Djokovic match on ESPN.
E63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 17:39   #150
BHPian

I checked out a Tennis club in Nerul, Navi Mumbai.
Vazirani Sports Club, Jus off Palm beach road.
Location and Contact details in below link
Google Maps
They have four synthetic courts and good enough for people who wants to play tennis.
They are open all days except Friday.
Morning 7am-10am Evening 3pm-7pm
I have joined it for a month as of now. After playing 1st session last Sunday, i'l most probably continue. Let me know if any one planning, we can sync.