Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 6th July 2009, 10:11   #106
BHPian

Every one is talking about Roddick serve ... But it was amazing to see Federer hitting more ACEs than Roddick ... Surprising ... But yes the body serve of Roddick was truly awesome ...
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 10:33   #107
Senior - BHPian

Well I actually thought Fedex was out when he trailed 6-2 in the 2nd set tie-breaker but he pulled out from there. And that for me was the turning point. But Roddick came back brilliantly in the 4th set and the 5th was a classic.

Well done Fedex. Hard luck Roddick (you played brilliantly)
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 10:44   #108
BHPian

Such a fitting finale. Admire Roddick for the way he took defeat and also the way he played. His game has improved a lot.

Federer was very good but the only person who can beat him seems to be nadal. Had it been Nadal i wold have bet heavily for a nadal win.

You could see Federer still having the Nadal ghost in his mind. He is one lucky bloke to have had his final matches against different players other than nadal.

Having said that, Federer is the best i have seen in this game and it will be a wait and watch if Nadal can reach that status ( I have my doubts though)
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:03   #109
BHPian

This record is something, isn't it?

Federer surpassed Sampras and in lesser time. Federer took 6+ years to get his 15 Grarnd Slams while Pete took 12 years.

When I used to watch Pete Sampras, I used to wonder if anyone would be able to defeat him at all. I was disappointed the year he lost to Federer.

I don't think Federer is invincible but I certainly think he is the best player tennis has ever seen. His style, grace is unparalleled and it is a pleasure to watch him even when he is making unforced errors.

There will be players like Nadal who may defeat him but no one can ever reach the greatness this man has. Nadal can stay at the top for a year or so but can never dominate tennis the way Roger has. Nadal doesn't have the game to stay in the long run.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 12:25   #110
BHPian

The match was fantastic, and the way Roddick took the media without tears (unlike Roger) after the match showed his strength.

Nadal, when at his best, isnt very easy to surpass. I have to agree that the way he plays the games, his physical strength would show-up as he ages.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 13:27   #111
BHPian

And to add to all that was mentioned about Federer, he is a very humble person ! Like he mentioned at the post match interview, it was a great final and it could have gone either way. He also mentioned that at the end of it, there had to be a winner and he was lucky to win !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 14:38   #112
BHPian

Im amazed at the modesty and humility of Andy Roddick.
I think the shadow/sunlight finally got to his game; and he mistimed his shots; otherwise it might have been ........ (i dont know what to call it)
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 15:15   #113
Senior - BHPian

Andy Roddick should become a serious contender in future slams. He played great.

But great achievement by Federer. He is so smooth as Pete Sampras said at the end. I have never seen him tired even playing against Nadal. Don't know what he does for keeping fit.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 18:53   #114
BHPian

Any of you saw Serena Williams exit the US open amidst a little drama and controversy?
I can understand her frustration as the call (foot fault) was a close one - but her behaviour was definitely not warranted.
Just goes on to show that when you lose your temper at a crucial time you can lose a lot.

See the video of the last three points here: Serena Williams loses her temper against Kim Clijsters - US OPEN 2009: HQ video
Serena at the post match press conference: Serena William at the press conference after her controversial loss in the US Open 2009 to Kim Clijs
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 19:25   #115
BHPian

Serena acted like a cry baby over there. Uncalled for and against the spirit of tennis. She wasn't going to win it from there anyway.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 23:32   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Serena acted like a cry baby over there. Uncalled for and against the spirit of tennis. She wasn't going to win it from there anyway.
I saw it, and she should not have lost her cool. But the press has been after her, a bit too much. I did not see the same outrage from the artsy fartsy tennis commentators when John McEnroe did much worse things, over and over and over again. All the umpires took his abuse in the *** and smiled and tolerated his antics. But look at how they react to a black woman.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 00:21   #117
Senior - BHPian

Phew. Del Porto was fabulous. Haven't seen Nadal so comprehensively beaten.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 08:30   #118
BHPian

Potro smoked Nadal stroke for stroke! Federer has a serious contender next match.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
But look at how they react to a black woman.
You actually fell for that! Media is using that card just to make it more sensational.
She deserved a point penalty which was technically right. It just happened to be match point so she ended up losing her match.
There is nothing racist about the decision.
Several players have had point penalties but they don't get noticed as sensationally as this.
OT: She I think got away without apologising and that attitude she showed in the post match press conference because she is an american celebrity.
BenjiRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 09:25   #120
BHPian

Actually, she got away with all this. Had it been Wimbledon, things could have been worse.