Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 22:36   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 184
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Google Street view coming to India?

Found this on IndiaBroadBandForum site. Has anyone else noticed this? If this thing comes to India it will be really cool. Finally you can actually see the place you are going to before even stepping out of your house. Specially since roads in India are totally chaotic.

Google Street View Updates - Page 2 - Broadband Forum India
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 22:51   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Found this on IndiaBroadBandForum site. Has anyone else noticed this? If this thing comes to India it will be really cool. Finally you can actually see the place you are going to before even stepping out of your house. Specially since roads in India are totally chaotic.

Google Street View Updates - Page 2 - Broadband Forum India

That's good news, however given the current security conditions, i think it may not be the wise thing to do. I thought that Google should get permission from the Government before providing access to street view. Have they got it already?

Hi, the link provided doesn't provide any authentic information, it seems to be a very wild guess.
regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 8th June 2009 at 22:53.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 23:01   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,285
Thanked: 18,783 Times
Default

The google car is going to get lost in bangalore roads. The driver will end up asking the locals for directions.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 23:34   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,217
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
That's good news, however given the current security conditions, i think it may not be the wise thing to do. I thought that Google should get permission from the Government before providing access to street view. Have they got it already?

Hi, the link provided doesn't provide any authentic information, it seems to be a very wild guess.
regards
tifosi.
Why do they need permission from the government ? Google have removed detailed pictures of indian defence establishments anyway so hardly a real issue. There are agencies from which the enemy can buy proper detailed spy satellite images from anyway so why I doubt they would bother with google with its 6 years out of date images.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 23:37   #5
BHPian
 
Gagan.js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The google car is going to get lost in bangalore roads. The driver will end up asking the locals for directions.
Also our news channels are going to identify every second car as the google car in their breaking and exclusive news!!!

Street view is badly needed in the crowded cities of the world, atleast our metros should have it if not the rest of the country.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:16   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 531
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Google Street View car spotted at Nashik Phata, Pune.

It was Mahindra Scorpio with Google Equipments on Top.
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:25   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Google is under fire for stealing email ids and passwords from unsecured wifi connections (in Paris??)

Just imagine the glee of the news channels here if anything like that is found.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:37   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 531
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Google is under fire for stealing email ids and passwords from unsecured wifi connections (in Paris??)

Just imagine the glee of the news channels here if anything like that is found.
Aaj Tak or India TV will report report like

"Sabse Bada chor kaun? Google. Kaisa lageka aapko agar koi aapki pehchan churayega?"
sushantr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:51   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Aaj Tak or India TV will report report like

"Sabse Bada chor kaun? Google. Kaisa lageka aapko agar koi aapki pehchan churayega?"

Nah... it will be like "Sh.... Koi Hai", ""Koi hai jo apne computer se ap per nazar rakhe hue hai"
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 12:55   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,647
Thanked: 1,956 Times
Default

If implemented completely, this would be the most challenging task that Google has ever taken up & will remain as one even in their history. I would never mind subscribing even if it comes with a small fee.

PS - There're many instances reported in this forum where SatNav & MMI shows that a road exists which is not motorable by cars. Hope Google takes care of these things.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:03   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
If implemented completely, this would be the most challenging task that Google has ever taken up & will remain as one even in their history. I would never mind subscribing even if it comes with a small fee.

PS - There're many instances reported in this forum where SatNav & MMI shows that a road exists which is not motorable by cars. Hope Google takes care of these things.
I agree in toto.

It would be a heck of an experience to have real-time street views. I extensively used Google's Street View to get around Washington DC on foot.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 15:46   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I believe VidTeq - Navigation made easy | Video Maps for Bangalore | Location Based Services already has street view driving directions for Bangalore since quite a long time.
sidkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:34   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Google Street view coming to India?

my house on google street view

Google Street view coming to India?-untitled.jpg

close up

Google Street view coming to India?-untitled1.jpg
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 22:54   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Google Street view coming to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The google car is going to get lost in bangalore roads. The driver will end up asking the locals for directions.
Well i have extensively used google maps since i've been here in bangalore (since last may) it and i find it very very useful. i have never had to ask any locals for any directions. google street view would be really awesome to have! looking fwd to it.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 23:40   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 484 Times
Default Re: Google Street view coming to India?

I have also seen one scop with google street view thingy mounted on top in chennai.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The View on your Rear-View (Pictures taken through your rear view mirrors) Pri2 Shifting gears 127 12th February 2017 10:53
Indian automotive shops, now on Google Business View Warwithwheels Modifications & Accessories 8 14th May 2014 02:43
Reliance "Street-View" cars doing the rounds? zipperone Street Experiences 14 22nd January 2014 22:52
Wonobo: Indian version of Google Street View iVento Gadgets, Computers & Software 11 18th October 2013 01:10
Fiat Photo Bombs Volkswagen With Elaborate Street View Prank Klub Class The International Automotive Scene 2 17th May 2012 16:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks