Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Closed Thread

Old 20th June 2009, 18:37   #136
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Err... whats not clear in that statement? Let me try and rephrase: Even the bit of justice that is offered due to the Indian Judicial System will cease to exist.

Or are you alluding to my (snide) remark about the Indian Judicial System?
Old 20th June 2009, 18:40   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Your grammar was wrong! You either say "semblance of justice" or "shambles" which refers to the shambles the judicial system is in.

The word you used doesnt exist at all!
Old 20th June 2009, 18:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Ooopsss! You are quite right. Its not the grammar thats wrong... seems in a hurry I goofed on the spelling.

It should read:

Even the semblance of it offered by the Indian Judicial System will disappear in a puff..

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th June 2009 at 18:59.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:20   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Even the semblance of it offered by the Indian Judicial System will disappear in a puff..
How will a discussion on a public board reflect on the Indian judicial System and affect the administration of justice?

A discussion forum like this reflects the opinion of its members and does not in any way affect any legal process which is completely different. Why should there be a restriction on members stating their opinion?
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:27   #140
Team-BHP Support

Default Women in India

Just a screen shot of The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood

Women are not exactly safe in India, are they.
Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  36.8 KB

*Removed some parts as they are out of context.

Last edited by bblost : 22nd June 2009 at 14:29.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
How will a discussion on a public board reflect on the Indian judicial System and affect the administration of justice?

A discussion forum like this reflects the opinion of its members and does not in any way affect any legal process which is completely different. Why should there be a restriction on members stating their opinion?
Err... thats not what I ment at all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Isn't this statement a li'l... hmm... peculiar? Then who is safe in India? Men? Transexuals? Animals? Birds? Trees? Bacteria?

As a nation I believe our crime graphs are going up for all kinds of crime. As our population grows unchecked so seems to be our crime. Crime is a complex phenomena, in a way. One thing is sure, that just more and more laws does not contain crime...

You for eg. seem to have a soft corner for females. So it seems you emphasize the same. I for eg. have a soft corner for animals. They get butchered, eaten, tortured, harrassed, traumatised, etc., etc, everyday. So I'd luv to make a statement like "Animals are not exactly safe in India, are they?"

Personally, I have been attacked, mugged, etc. Some people I know have gone thru much, much worse. So I'd luv to say "Guys are not exactly in India, are they?"

So it all depends on your gestalt. Or does anyone seriously believe we can make India safe for women when everything else is unsafe? Fact of life is nobody is safe. Things are as they are, and we are collectively and individually responsible.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:30   #142
Team-BHP Support

With all due respect Racoon, my reasoning is very simple.

In a country where women are safe. Everyone will be safe.
When women are oppressed the country cannot prosper.

If the physically weaker (average woman v/s average man) is safe on the road at night, I would infer than no one is going to be troubling men either.

About animals. That is a different topic altogether. As a non-vegetarian any comment I make would be downright hypocritical.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:46   #143
Senior - BHPian

Sounds good. Sounds simple. And I really wish it were so.

Violence, is violence. Men, women, animals, plants, etc... all face it. Wanting to do violence (retribution, justice, whatever you want to call it) to a perpetrator of violence is also in fact violence.

"When women are oppressed the country cannot prosper." sonds like a nice catch phrase. But how deep does it go? Not even skin deep. And just for argument's sake lets assume this is true... but how would we bring it about? We have loads of totally pro female laws in India. So much so that I'd say males are 2nd class citizens. So does the crime graph fall? No, it grows.

Violence against women is a very tiny picture of a much, much bigger picture.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:26   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
May I ask the question : Were they ever safe ?

Since ages things are always negative for women in India. Daily I read in Gujarati local ( TOI does not care to cover these incidences in baroda Times, as Baroda times is full of glamorous pictures ) that a woman got severe burns while she was working on stove. You know what, all of them are cases where lady is burned as she fails to bring in dowry. Realized this harsh way when my mother was hospitalized. A lady was on brought in in stretcher and with plaster or some other material all over her body. The lady was neice of my father's office clerk. I started telling my dad that she did not get burns as accident, she was burned deliberately for dowry. Dad said he knows this and all others know this too. Then while I was having dinner in basement of hospital, a two men came in ( that lady husband and FIL ) and told me not to tell about this to anyone. Neither did I.

This is a very small picture. In reality things are bad beyond imagination. Its only going to get worse.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know what, all of them are cases where lady is burned as she fails to bring in dowry.
How can you say this for sure?? Maybe many do... but definitely not all! I personally know a case where girl who was married for just about a year got severely burnt while in the kitchen. Won't get into details but it is suspected that she got burnt due to her own stupidity. I know for sure that the husband or mother-in-law were not involved. In fact both are quite the docile types. Yet the cops and folks of the girl severly harassed them and alleged that it was deliberate.

One more of the numerous cases where the pro-female laws found hapless innocent victims.

Any law that leaves room for innocents to be convicted or harrassed is far worse than the crime it seeks to prevent. It is a rouge law, crafted by a rouge legislature. And we have plenty such laws.

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd June 2009 at 17:48.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:48   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bblost : In a country where women are safe. Everyone will be safe.
Will be intresting to see how this logic stands, if it were to turn out that it is Shiney who's the victim in this case ...
Old 22nd June 2009, 18:36   #147
BANNED

here's something to chew on: Woman on trial for raping 10 men | Say What?
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:54   #148
BHPian

I call BULL on this story!

Try tightening a rope around your *err* thing and see if it brings you into an excited state. i think a feather or something to that effect would have been more effective.

must be a slow news day in Adelaide!
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Nice turn around to a discussion that was going nowhere.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:56   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Try tightening a rope around your *err* thing and see if it brings you into an excited state.
apparently, they *were* excited before they got drugged and fell asleep and the rope was meant to... ahem... sustain their excitement.

it's a strange world.
Closed Thread