Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th June 2009, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Thumbs down My tryst with Indian IT co.

It’s been a long time that I have been thinking of sharing my experiences in an IT company with other people and this forum gives me the starting place.

(I know a similar thread is also active:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...or-laws-4.html (It is high time IT Companies are brought under the purview of Labor laws)

but my experiences are more than just labor laws. In fact, this thread made me take the final step into writing this post.)

I joined IT firm , let’s name it ‘X’ (some of you will easily guess this), as a fresh graduate for University of Nottingham. Initial sessions in their posh Canary Wharf office coupled with a decent pay structure, convinced me of a bright start to career. Throughout the sessions, we were painted a rosy picture of working in the comfortable, cubicle-less office, with facilities like Pool Tables, swanky furniture, et al.

But before we could begin, their was a training in a city very close to Bengaluru in India. All in all, 27 british graduates made their journey to India as the ‘first UK batch’ for the company. Immediate perks of being British graduates were apparent:

1. You got a room to yourself, no sharing.
2. You got a better salary. (Justifiable to some extent as we were paying of student loans in GBP)
3. You got Mineral Water to drink while Indians had to content with normal filtered water.
4. You could be forgiven for taking the training not so seriously (more on that later)
5. Practical training was kinda optional.
6. Also, if you had been on a night-out, you could return tipsy.
7. You would never be reprimanded for being late to class.

These perks, good as they were, set my mind thinking as I was the borderline graduate, completely Indian with only education in UK. I could very well be on the other side.

1. What has nationality got to do with single sharing / twin sharing accommodation.
2. Discrimination in allotment of WATER ? One could argue that brits may be susceptible to water-borne diseases which were new to their immune system. But Hello! We had the same food as everyone else. It was cooked in normal water, Utensils were cleaned in normal water, so much so, we were having just normal filtered water in restaurants.
3. Training was compulsory. So why was administration relaxed in their attitude when it concerned UK grads.
4. Strict rules about alcohol. Our batch had broken them all and administration had full knowledge.

I almost forgot, there was also a US batch with some 60 students attending training with us. Now to the most amazing part, A lot American batch students (they were 2 months ahead of us in training) flunked their half-way examinations which would have meant termination of contract. But hell NO! A new stream was made. Business Analysts, which had frankly been created just to take these people through the training. Obviously, when time came, 2-3 UK Grads also flunked and were given similar treatment.

Now, this new stream had lectures for only 2 hours every day and finished a month earlier then rest of the group, and guess what! one of them failed the easier examination too... But as one would now expect, Nothing Happened. She got to appear again and managed a pass with some help from the rest of the group.

Fast forward to July 2008, I resigned from the company based on Safety issues and more importantly, a clear color / race differentiation which became apparent once we were employed in different projecs and I was allocated to a project which had no white counterpart, rather only Indians. Just last month, I got to know that the other ‘Indian’ UK grad was made redundant due to lack of opportunities and is now jobless in London. He is the only person made redundant by the company from the group along with a south asian while most other grads continue to stay despite some of them still being on Bench.

This is just the surface. A lot more happened in my six months in UK that would be an embarrassment to any thinking Indian and at best brushed ‘under the sheets’.

Today, I have settled into my family business closely pursuing my pet passion, Cars, and let’s just say - ‘God does everything for the best’

Ciao

(ps: I have no prejudices against the British members of UK Grad group. They were brilliant and very supportive. It is the dealings of our very own company that gives an essence of how British India had been.)

(PPS: This happens to be my 100th post)

Last edited by akhilesh51 : 19th June 2009 at 20:05.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 20:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If the name of this company is beginning with the alphabet at the beginning of this sentence, then I can say that I dont think the single occupancy or double occupancy has anything to do with race or bias. A few friends of mine got jobs and went for training to the Royal City of Karnataka and they all had individual rooms. No one had to share. These were guys who did their Engineering from a college in Bangalore.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, it's just a matter of demand and supply. differentiation starts only when you have limited resources and more people wanting them.

And this company does a lot of innovative things beyond ethics or sensibility. for it's PR, for it's people management (putting multiple barriers every year on promotions) and much more. That's the problem with having many smart people in one place all looking for recognition and rewards.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 20:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

But this is for sure that Indian People and Indian companies have a flaire for white skin and i dont know why.

And even my previous company in india had such issues, they had different set of employee policies for centres in Kiev than compared to Noida, Pune or Nagpur.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 20:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

You're not alone. Everyone has their story to tell.Let me just say I can empathize

Quote:
putting multiple barriers every year on promotions
...And claiming that it's doing so because its for your own growth .

And then there are retroactive policy changes. One is reminded of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader
I am altering the agreement, pray I do not alter it further..

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th June 2009 at 21:01.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 21:28   #6
oss
BHPian

Akilesh & Sunny: Agree with you guys on this. It's actually someof us Indians who have a bias towards anyone having a white skin, and once they realise that they exploit us.

Having worked with many whites in the last many years, i found them to be really nice and sensitive to others regardless of their colour. It's some of our own people who tend to treat their fellow countrymen in an inferior way.

It's probably to do with their own inferiority complex. Infact i always found it much easier to work under a White boss than working under a desi settled aborad. Especially the second generation ones and the ones that went through the college route and struggled for a long time to move up are the worst ones to handle. They still have an outdated view of India and the improving living standards, and tend to treat us with that same view.

Infact when i told them that i was inclined to move back to India, most of them thought i was joking, and couldn't really believe that life could be better in India (in some ways atleast!!)

As far the IT companies are concerned, most of the senior managers grew to that level just because the industry grew in such rapid pace. Most of these jokers have no clue about people management or the maturity to handle people related aspects. They just can push back a white guy, nod their head to whatever is demanded of them, and try to pass it back down the line by putting pressure on some junior Indian guy exploiting his desperation to stay at onsite

When in couple of instances where few white peers were trying to corner me or trying to blame me for things that have gone wrong, guess who stood up for me. It is rest of the white folks and not a single Indian collegue. It's unfortunate that we degrade ourselves just to be in the good books of them, and no wonder they exploit this weakness of ours. We have only ourselves to blame for this.

And as for the high ethical standards of Indian IT companies less said the better. I am sure everyone have their bag of stories to tell, so i don't want to really go in detail to bore everyone. Everything depends on the demand & supply. When you are in demand go for your pound of flesh. When the demand is low, try to create an image that the orgganisation, or atleast your boss, is entirely dependent on you

End of the all that matters is the money that get credited in your account. Don't worry too much about the going ons in these companies as long as you are satisfied that you have done your job to earn whatever the company pays you.

Play along the game and keep your family happy for they are the ones that come with you till the end.
oss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 21:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand , why do you hesitate to tell the name .INFOSYS .
Do they sue you or the forum .Its an open forum and thats the reason we have a forum to share information .
I am shocked .
Let it be an eye opener to freshers who flock to the very name .
Thanks for letting us know .

Last edited by black12rr : 19th June 2009 at 21:44.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 21:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
If the name of this company is beginning with the alphabet at the beginning of this sentence, then I can say that I dont think the single occupancy or double occupancy has anything to do with race or bias. A few friends of mine got jobs and went for training to the Royal City of Karnataka and they all had individual rooms. No one had to share. These were guys who did their Engineering from a college in Bangalore.
This happened when training centre was running low on occupancy with so many people staying in guest houses and traveling every day to training centre. And here we had 27 UK Grads and 60 US grads all occupying single rooms.

Even then, how bout bending some rules that are equal for everyone like class timings, examination and results. So much so, we were given full internet access at all times during our stay in our rooms! and obviously the use was unrestricted.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
3. You got Mineral Water to drink while Indians had to content with normal filtered water.
I am not from your company. I have not attended training in any company.

But anyone coming from abroad to Indian companies for a visit also get cans of Diet Coke/Pepsi. And the mineral water irritates me also.

Last edited by carboy : 19th June 2009 at 21:59.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 21:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey let me tell you one more thing . Here,this time ,team outing for a release was canceled for a ppl of 10 . Reason - Rescission .
When a senior post guy from US came , they took him out for dinner with 5 ppl , the cost was 2 twice that would have been spent for the entire team outing .Can you ask this ?

Last edited by black12rr : 19th June 2009 at 21:56.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 22:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

ha.. now we have the realty coming out!
If it's the same company mentioned by black12rr, I rejected their offer for two main reasons:

1. Though they matched my salary expectation, 10% was based on company's performance, 10% on project performance, and 10% on indivisual performance! 20% was never to be realized as per the experience of people already working there!
2. They wanted me to move to Mangalore and the date of joining was in sync with the day when communal clashes erupted there!

And... Not to forget the compulsary Tie on Mondays & Tuesdays!
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 22:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
I dont understand , why do you hesitate to tell the name .INFOSYS .
Do they sue you or the forum .Its an open forum and thats the reason we have a forum to share information .
I am shocked .
Let it be an eye opener to freshers who flock to the very name .
Thanks for letting us know .
The only reason I didn't mention the name of the company, which as you point out is Infosys, is that these practices are are prevalent in many big indian companies, especially IT cos., and my case is not one of the kind. In such a case, while it exposes Infosys, it dilutes the main idea, which is that a lot of us Indians voluntarily bow down to white skin even when there is no pressure or expectance from those people for such a treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Hey let me tell you one more thing . Here,this time ,team outing for a release was canceled for a ppl of 10 . Reason - Rescission .
When a senior post guy from US came , they took him out for dinner with 5 ppl , the cost was 2 twice that would have been spent for the entire team outing .Can you ask this ?
Recession is a big Joke. Most people have had lesser pay rise due to recession. What about bonuses to top honchos. These have inflated like never before. This word gives corporates more of a chance to exploit employees.
Old 19th June 2009, 22:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
their was a training in a city very close to Bengaluru in India.
I guess this was the giveaway to the mystery company.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 22:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, while these practices are not exactly what one would consider ethical, all of the big fish are as bad, if not worse
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 22:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh
their was a training in a city very close to Bengaluru in India.
This statement just gives it away.
Edit: Dang, I'm redundant now
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote