Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 15:04   #316
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 1,636 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Yes, There are black sheep in every profession. However my point is that there are many effective alternative treatments available.

Saintly rishi's have long given way to modern ayurvedic factories. Many of them in Kerala grow their own herbs, their own goat/cow farms for the ghee, and manufacture medicines in house in GMP certified facilities. Make a trip to Kerala and see how the world has changed.
I've used massages from the kottakal arya vaidya shala for my back pains (dating back to a fall from my bike in 2000-01). Those do help.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 15:22   #317
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 533 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

There is another reliable ayurveda pharmacy/vaidyasala in Andhra Pradesh. Very old one. It is Sri Venkateswara Ayurveda Nilayam, Chintaluru. It is just few km from Chennai-Calcutta highway. One has to take right turn immediately after Ravulapalem bridge if they are coming from Chennai.

http://www.vanchintaluru.com
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 17:18   #318
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

I have a couple of relatives using Patanjali products, especially their powders and churna for digestion and general wellness. They were all gaga about how a few powders helped them with digestion problem during long travel or when they eat outside food for long etc.

Does Patanjali work like over the counter drug stores? Can I just walk in and buy anything that I want without a prescription?

I checked their website and it seems I can order anything that I want and get it delivered. Don't they ask for prescriptions given that their herbal medicines are after all medicines?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 17:52   #319
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 516
Thanked: 97 Times
Thumbs up Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can I just walk in and buy anything that I want without a prescription?

I checked their website and it seems I can order anything that I want and get it delivered. Don't they ask for prescriptions given that their herbal medicines are after all medicines?
Most of their shops, have a resident doctor who can help you out with prescription.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 18:19   #320
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Most of their shops, have a resident doctor who can help you out with prescription.
What I meant was that they are willing to ship anything you want to your doorstep and some of the stuff retailing on the website is actually medicinal.

I'm assuming if they can ship anything without prescription they would be willing to give each of these powders/vatis etc. OTC without prescription at their physical stores.

Shouldn't there be a prescription before one can buy medicines even if they are from Patanjali?

EDIT: Just found out that they even sell Shilajit, isn't it dangerous if taken in excess.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 19:22   #321
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,015
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What I meant was that they are willing to ship anything you want to your doorstep and some of the stuff retailing on the website is actually medicinal.

I'm assuming if they can ship anything without prescription they would be willing to give each of these powders/vatis etc. OTC without prescription at their physical stores.

Shouldn't there be a prescription before one can buy medicines even if they are from Patanjali?

EDIT: Just found out that they even sell Shilajit, isn't it dangerous if taken in excess.
I think only Herbal Suppliments can be sent over the counter. Just like Vitamin suppliments of Allopathy can be had over the counter.

Shilajit is classified as suppliment - and not a medicine, as per my knowledge.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 22:08   #322
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,393
Thanked: 838 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I think only Herbal Suppliments can be sent over the counter. Just like Vitamin suppliments of Allopathy can be had over the counter.



Shilajit is classified as suppliment - and not a medicine, as per my knowledge.

I placed an order and cancelled it later. Selected random powders, vatis etc. that were meant for pretty serious diseases under Ayurvedic Medicine. Basically nothing on their website is restricted unlike 1mg website which asks for prescription.

You'd be surprised by the kind of reviews these patanjali medicines have on amazon.com (not .in)

I'm kind of tempted to try the ones that are for boosting strength and energy as I do strength training.

From what I've researched today the ingredients make perfect sense for certain ailments going by various articles but there aren't many studies or papers backing these up. Maybe allopathic has money riding while ayurvedic medicine was never about earning money (of course until our babaji came in).
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 22:21   #323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 45
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Alternative Medicine / Treatment Options

Hi

Homeopathy is one of the most unscientifi of the lot; Homeopathy disregards pathogens! A system of "Medicine" which does not admit to the effect of pathogens should not even be considered as one.

It is simply a magic remedy!

Cheers
Ashokkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy CaliAtenza Shifting gears 65 25th June 2013 15:57
CJ4A jeep : Looking for alternative petrol engine options abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 6 5th October 2010 17:20
Alternative Fuel Options !! man23ish The Indian Car Scene 31 31st July 2008 12:12
Santro gets a underchassis treatment. Shan2nu The Indian Car Scene 2 28th June 2004 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks