Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 11:16   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
My mom has been diagnosed with a gall stone. The only option available in allopathy is removal of the gall bladder.

Is anyone here aware of effective treatment for this in alternate forms like Homeo? If yes, any good references for a doc?

Also, i would like to know any good references for a surgeon/hospital in bangalore, in case we decide to go for surgical removal.
m8002, for most cases when surgery is the only path forward - little can be done by homeophathy, alopathy, ayurveda etc
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 11:44   #47
BHPian
 
s3va's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 646
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

TheDoctor,

My present homeo doc is treating me for laryngitis(lump kinda feeling while swallowing, food getting stuck sometimes etc, irritation in the ear) and he has prescribed pills & powders. At the same time I had complained of gastric issues for which he has prescribed another bunch of tablets(not pills) which looks like an after mrket product readily available off the shelf unlike the pills & powder that have to be made. So is this approach classical or non classical ? I have completed 3 sittings spanning across a period of 6-8 weeks, but signs of improvement doesnt look significant. what is your advise here ?
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:14   #48
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Now that we are discussing homeopathy, can someone recommend a good homeopathic doctor in Bangalore. I have been looking for quite some time but haven't found any with reliable references.
I visit a Homeopath in Jayanagar, she used to work for a corporate earlier and now operates from her home. She is building her own clinic soon. I got her reference from a very close friend of mine and i can vouch to say she is a good homeo doc.

now both me and my wife visit her for medication, i am a regular, coz I have chronic headache problem, linked to Fibromyalgia which is a very irritating issue to me, almost every day i wake up with headache !! with homeo, now i m improving

Her name is Bharathi, and can give u her info in PM if you are interested.

@TheDoctor,
So, I hear a lot of guys telling, we should avoid coffee & tea while using homeo medication. Is that true ? and why ? I take atleast 1 cup of coffee & 1 cup of tea everyday ... so i just want to know the facts right

Last edited by kri$hna : 18th May 2010 at 12:15.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:26   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,319
Thanked: 3,660 Times
Default

Quote:
kri$hna : So, I hear a lot of guys telling, we should avoid coffee & tea while using homeo medication.
Suggest you stick to the instructions from your doctor. One doctor I go to says no to coffee. I have heard of others who ask you not to take certain other food items - could be garlic etc.

But what ever be the diet, at any given time, pls continue with only one source of treatment for each system of medicine.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:32   #50
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Suggest you stick to the instructions from your doctor. One doctor I go to says no to coffee. I have heard of others who ask you not to take certain other food items - could be garlic etc.

But what ever be the diet, at any given time, pls continue with only one source of treatment for each system of medicine.
my doc doesnt actually say any specification of diet.. I guess she follows classical homeo, coz i am given a small bottle of pills, i take 8 pills daily ! and as an SOS, i have another set, which i take only if my headache becomes unbearable !

But i was not told any thing about diet & i forget to ask that always ! So just trying to get an idea of whether its good/bad to consume coffee/tea or any such things when on homeo medication
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:37   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Well for starters you need to know how the "scientific" medicines actually lower your body resistance to various pathogens over a period of time.
Yes, vaccines and almost every other medication that are designed on the premise that they supplement your immune system, lower your resistance.
This is the reason why the average human lifespan has dramatically increased over the last 200 years. Oh wait, it isn't because of advances in medical sciences. It is because people resorted to drinking sugar syrups and medivieal mumbo jumbo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
And how scientific medicine has no cures for most chronic ailments.
And that makes homeopathy a science?


Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
And I hate antibiotics for making me fall prey to any slight change in weather or ambience.
If you are talking of antibiotic resistance, then yes, that is a drawback. And there is plenty of research going on to address these issues. However, that still does not prove that homeopathy works.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 12:41   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
^^ Your point being?

Homeopathy and ayurveda are considered scientific methods to treat various illness. I am not sure what makes you say that it isn't the case?

I don't know much about Ayurveda. Homeopathy is anything but science.
From wiki:
Homeopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
^^ In an article entitled "Should We Maintain an Open Mind about Homeopathy?"[158] published in the American Journal of Medicine, Michael Baum and Edzard Ernst—writing to other physicians—wrote that "Homeopathy is among the worst examples of faith-based medicine... These axioms [of homeopathy] are not only out of line with scientific facts but also directly opposed to them. If homeopathy is correct, much of physics, chemistry, and pharmacology must be incorrect...".

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2010 at 20:34. Reason: Removing some formatting tags.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:39   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

More:
Homeopathic dilutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Serial dilution of a solution results, after each dilution step, in fewer molecules of the original substance per litre of solution. Eventually, a solution will be diluted beyond any likelihood of finding a single molecule of the original substance in a litre of the total dilution product.
The molar limit

If one begins with a solution of 1 mol/L of a substance, the 10-fold dilution required to reduce the number of molecules to less than one per litre is 1 part in 110^24 (24X or 12C) since:
6.0210^23/110^24 = 0.6 molecules per litre Homeopathic dilutions beyond this limit are unlikely to contain a single molecule of the original substance. Assuming pure water has been used as a diluent, then dilutions beyond 14C are unlikely to contain any molecules of water used to make the original solution.
Analogies

Critics and advocates of homeopathy alike commonly attempt to illustrate the dilutions involved in homeopathy with analogies. The high dilutions characteristically used are often considered to be the most controversial and implausible aspect of homeopathy.

Hahnemann's joke: 1 bottle of poison in Lake Geneva

Hahnemann is reported to have joked that a suitable procedure to deal with an epidemic would be to empty a bottle of poison into Lake Geneva, if it could be succussed 60 times.1 Pinch of salt in the Atlantic Ocean

Another example given by a critic of homeopathy states that a 12C solution is equivalent to a "pinch of salt in both the North and South Atlantic Oceans",which is approximately correct.
1/3 of a drop in all the waters of the Earth

One third of a drop of some original substance diluted into all the water on earth would produce a remedy with a concentration of about 13C.

Duck liver 200C in the entire observable Universe

A popular homeopathic treatment for the flu is a 200C dilution of duck liver, marketed under the name Oscillococcinum As there are only about 10^80 atoms in the entire observable universe, a dilution of one molecule in the observable universe would be about 40C. Oscillococcinum would thus require 10320 more universes to simply have one molecule in the final substance.

Swimming pool

Another illustration of dilutions used in common homeopathic remedies involves comparing a homeopathic dilution to dissolving the therapeutic substance in a swimming pool. One example, inspired by a problem found in a set of popular algebra textbooks, states that there are on the order of 10^32 molecules of water in an Olympic-size swimming pool and if such a pool were filled with a 15C homeopathic remedy, to have a 63% chance of consuming at least one molecule of the original substance, one would need to swallow 1% of the volume of such a pool, or roughly 25 metric tons of water.[

30C: 1 ml in 1,191,016 cubic light years

Yet another illustration: 1 ml of a solution which has gone through a 30C dilution is mathematically equivalent to 1 ml diluted into a cube of water measuring 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 metres per side, which is about 106 light years. Thus, homeopathic remedies of standard potencies contain, almost certainly, only water (or alcohol, as well as sugar and other nontherapeutic ingredients).

Last edited by e1t1bet : 18th May 2010 at 13:51.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:52   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

In layman's terms, is it implying that the dilution levels of the medications is too high to warrant any effective treatment?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:56   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
In layman's terms, is it implying that the dilution levels of the medications is too high to warrant any effective treatment?
Yes. The very premise on which Homeopathy, and Hahnemann's theories are based is that water (or solvents like alcohol) retains some
properties of the solutes dissolved in it, even when the solute is 'physically' removed. i.e. the solvent retains the spirit of the solute.
Needless to say, much of what we know in physics and chemistry is in contradiction with this.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:57   #56
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,319
Thanked: 3,660 Times
Default

Quote:
kri$hna : .. just trying to get an idea of whether its good/bad to consume coffee/tea or any such things when on homeo medication
Your doctor would be the right person to answer that, because she would know what treatment you are on.

Alternatively, you can try giving up coffee for a week or two, then tea for a week or two & see the difference. I think our doc says coffee has some chemicals that negate the effect of the medicines. He doesnt restrict us from anything else - any other medicines / food items etc.
Quote:
e1t1bet : .. much of what we know in physics and chemistry is in contradiction with this.
It may be much of what is known, but these streams /systems do not have to follow the same principles or logic. What matters is the results, and there's more than enough people who have benefitted by homoeopathy, and enough people how have seen the side-effects of allopathy.

Last edited by condor : 18th May 2010 at 14:14.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:03   #57
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Yes. The very premise on which Homeopathy, and Hahnemann's theories are based is that water (or solvents like alcohol) retains some
properties of the solutes dissolved in it, even when the solute is 'physically' removed. i.e. the solvent retains the spirit of the solute.
Needless to say, much of what we know in physics and chemistry is in contradiction with this.
lets say you add a spoon of salt in a glass of water, and then keep adding water, now the glass becomes a big container of water, but no more salt was added. so do you say, the water now doesnt have any content of salt at all ? where did the spoon of salt go then ??
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:27   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It may be much of what is known, but these streams /systems do not have to follow the same principles or logic.
Much of what is known are unequivocal "facts". We know for a "fact" the mechanism of how molecules dissolve in a solvent. The basic tenet of homeopathy goes against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What matters is the results, and there's more than enough people who have benefitted by homoeopathy, and enough people how have seen the side-effects of allopathy.
The therapeutic effects of Homeopathy are attributed to the placebo effect (Placebo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A systematic review of systematic reviews of homeopathy
Homeopathy for Childhood and Adolescence Ailments: Systematic Review of Randomized Clinical Trials ? Mayo Clinic Proceedings
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:39   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
lets say you add a spoon of salt in a glass of water, and then keep adding water, now the glass becomes a big container of water, but no more salt was added. so do you say, the water now doesnt have any content of salt at all ? where did the spoon of salt go then ??
Because you succesively dilute, and throw away part of the solution.

This is the homeopathic dilution (succution) process that is carried out:
(1) Dissolve a spoon of a particular substance in water (in your case 1 spoon of salt)
(2) Dilute it by a factor of 100 (the C scale)
(3) Take some of this solution, say 1/10th. Now you are left with 1/10th of a spoon. Throw away the rest (out goes 9/10th of the spoon of salt).
(4) Dilute it by another C.
(5) Throw 9/10th. You are left with 1/100th of the spoon.
(6) With every cycle, you are left with 1/10th, 1/100th, 1/1000, 1/10000 etc etc etc
(7) You reach a point where you have a few molecules left (around 9-10C)
(8) Your next sample for dilution will have even less molecules.
(9) Finally you'd reach a stage where you are left with one-two molecules (12C)
(10) In all likelyhood, your next sample won't even capture that ONE molecule. If you still capture it, you'd miss it in the next one etc etc.

I am still talking of 10-12C. When you consider that Oscillococcinum has a concentration of 400C, you can calculate the chances of any molecule being present.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:47   #60
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Because you succesively dilute, and throw away part of the solution.

This is the homeopathic dilution (succution) process that is carried out:
(1) Dissolve a spoon of a particular substance in water (in your case 1 spoon of salt)
(2) Dilute it by a factor of 100 (the C scale)
(3) Take some of this solution, say 1/10th. Now you are left with 1/10th of a spoon. Throw away the rest (out goes 9/10th of the spoon of salt).
(4) Dilute it by another C.
(5) Throw 9/10th. You are left with 1/100th of the spoon.
(6) With every cycle, you are left with 1/10th, 1/100th, 1/1000, 1/10000 etc etc etc
(7) You reach a point where you have a few molecules left (around 9-10C)
(8) Your next sample for dilution will have even less molecules.
(9) Finally you'd reach a stage where you are left with one-two molecules (12C)
(10) In all likelyhood, your next sample won't even capture that ONE molecule. If you still capture it, you'd miss it in the next one etc etc.

I am still talking of 10-12C. When you consider that Oscillococcinum has a concentration of 400C, you can calculate the chances of any molecule being present.
LOL !!! so it is all alcohol and no medicine there

i guess u wont be throwing away... but adding more dilution, so there shud still be some medicine left in any dilution, albeit with lesser concentration.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy CaliAtenza Shifting gears 65 25th June 2013 15:57
CJ4A jeep : Looking for alternative petrol engine options abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 6 5th October 2010 17:20
Alternative Fuel Options !! man23ish The Indian Car Scene 31 31st July 2008 12:12
Santro gets a underchassis treatment. Shan2nu The Indian Car Scene 2 28th June 2004 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks