Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 14:49   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,317
Thanked: 3,658 Times
Default

Quote:
e1t1bet : The therapeutic effects of Homeopathy are attributed to the placebo effect
Placebo effect is well known in allopathy too. So we can declare allopathy as also just placebo effect, right ?
Quote:
e1t1bet : I am still talking of 10-12C. When you consider that Oscillococcinum has a concentration of 400C, you can calculate the chances of any molecule being present.
Arent you taking the concept of dilution, a little too far ? You will soon reach a point where the logic of your argument is also just as diluted .

In theory, 400C may not have any molecules of the solute present in it, but that is neither the theory that homoeopathy follows, neither is that level of dilution used.

Last edited by condor : 18th May 2010 at 14:55.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:51   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,205
Thanked: 1,195 Times
Default

I've benefited from homeopathy in treating eisnophilia long back---it was a slow and steady cure. I had tried allopathy, but the tablets left me totally weak. When I approached the doctor, he prescribed multi vitamin tablets.

On the contrary, homeopathy totally cured me without any side effects.

In the recent past also I've got tremendous releif from my decade old cervical spondylyosis with homoepathic medicine. As a matter of fact, I worship the guy who referred me to that doctor. I've been doing exercises derived from yoga all along, which did give me releif for a couple of hours only. But working in IT field, I cannot get a bed or mattress to lie on every 2 or 3 hours, and had to bear with the stiff neck till I went home.

It was only in the end of April that I paid a visit to the Homeo Doctor, and he gave me 3 bottles of 'sugar globules' and a collar belt that had 3 magnets in it. I wear that belt even when I sleep (without pillow), and from the 1st day itself I felit that 75% of the pain and stiffness had vanished. I need to wear that belt for 3 months and also have the medicines. I'll update you after that period. But so far the results have far exceeded my expectations.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:55   #63
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Homeopathy is witchcraft, says Britain's medical body

This is a very serious statement from British Medical Association. I didn't find any source for the above news except for Indian newspapers. BBC has not heard about it.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 14:57.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:56   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
Homeopathy 'medicines' don't have side effects because they don't have any effect at all.
I was reading this and I thought you were about to substantiate this argument properly, and then I see this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
They are just water.
and I realized that you know nothing about Homeopathy.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 15:05.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 14:59   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default

@Samurai: This is the young turks guarding their turf.

In my view while Modern Medicine (read Allopathy) is unsurpassed for acute ailments, Homeopathy, Ayurveda and the like are far superior foe chronic conditions. I do not think modern medicine has addressed these seriously.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:07   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,465
Thanked: 692 Times
Default

For my usual cold and cough, I take Homeopathy.

Last edited by bblost : 18th May 2010 at 15:12. Reason: Both Direct and Indirect references to Alcohol not allowed. Thanks.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:08   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Samurai: This is the young turks guarding their turf.

In my view while Modern Medicine (read Allopathy) is unsurpassed for acute ailments, Homeopathy, Ayurveda and the like are far superior foe chronic conditions. I do not think modern medicine has addressed these seriously.
Exactly my thoughts.

I was suffering from chronic gastric problems and I took a course of Allopathy medicines for more than a month twice, and as soon as I stop the treatment, the gastric problems return with all their strength.

The medicines were basically acid inhibitor tablets and some syrups that makes your stomach feel good.

Later, I switched to Homeopathy and had the treatment for about two months. I stopped it after two months and so far acidity has never returned. My stomach feels much better and I can eat more quantity of food than earlier. The doctor is saying that I should continue the treatment for at least one more month though.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th May 2010 at 15:09.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:16   #68
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Allopathy mostly treats symptoms and Ayurveda/Homeopathy treats the root cause. Take your pick.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:17   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Well - coming back to my original requirement which triggered all this...Can anyone recommend a good homeopath in the Eastern suburbs of Mumbai? (Vikhroli/Ghatkopar/Powai/Mulund/Chembur)
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 15:36   #70
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 928
Thanked: 314 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Homeopathy is witchcraft, says Britain's medical body
This is a very serious statement from British Medical Association. I didn't find any source for the above news except for Indian newspapers. BBC has not heard about it.
I'm not sure about the 'withcraft' allegation, but the following report came out this year & advocates withdrawal of NHS funding for Homeopathy clinics.

UKHomeopathyReport.pdf
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:05   #71
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Placebo effect is well known in allopathy too. So we can declare allopathy as also just placebo effect, right ?
No, we cannot. Why? Because a vast majority of allopathic treatments do not rely on placebo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
but that is neither the theory that homoeopathy follows,
Can you enlighten us what theory homoeopathy follows, and how having no molecules of the medicine present can cure a person?


Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
neither is that level of dilution used

400C is the dilution used in Oscillococcinum. Most homeopathic medicines have dilution levels way above 12C (the level at which you won't have a single molecule left in the solution).
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:22   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Allopathy mostly treats symptoms
Wherever possible, Allopathy treats the root cause. Exceptions being when the root cause is irreversible (brain damage due to a stroke), or has no available treatment (aids..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
and Ayurveda/Homeopathy treats the root cause.
Nonsense of the highest order. Drinking sugar syrup treats neither the symptoms or the cause.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Take your pick.
Easy.
Scientific methods, based on facts. Stuff behind which billions of man hours have gone in over 100s of years. Stuff that is scientifically verified, refuted and improved.
Not nonsense, which isn't backed by any scientific study, that is sold by people who are either ignorant or fraudulent to credulous customers.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 18th May 2010 at 16:25.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:25   #73
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,317
Thanked: 3,658 Times
Default

Quote:
e1t1bet : No, we cannot. Why? Because a vast majority of allopathic treatments do not rely on placebo.
Neither does homoeopathy rely on placebos. In this discussion, you are saying that the medicine is a placebo. It may be for you, and you are entitled to your opinion.

So you mean to say that Every instance of serious illness & chronic conditions cured by homoeopathy is just placebo effect ?

I have known of cases that allopathy could not cure, but there's been tremendous improvement after having started on homoeopathy. You cant wish away or argue away these results, my friend.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:36   #74
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Easy.
Scientific methods, based on facts. Stuff behind which billions of man hours have gone in over 100s of years. Stuff that is scientifically verified, refuted and improved.
Not nonsense, which isn't backed by any scientific study, that is sold by people who are either ignorant or fraudulent to credulous customers.
Billions of man hours & Trillions of money .. for what ? ripping you off ur pockets ! I have seen so many such instances where people get ripped off while buying these so called medicines, each medicine 10s of formulations with various names, all doing exactly the same thing, but priced alarmingly high for no damn reason.. result?? The medical shop owners making money out of selling fake/cheap drugs for higher cost. we are made to believe allopathy is better, so that we invest/waste our hard earned money on this crappy treatment process.

It is a fact, Allopathy is no better than any other method of treatment, but we are made to believe so. so the billions of man hours in research, could not actually find a medicine for common cold? and you want to believe in that science of medicine?

I had a multiple fracture on my left hand, and twice !! First time, allopathy supposedly cured it, with calcium & iron tablets for bone grwth & strength. In a second accident, same bone broke again, this time homeopathy cures it forever, no damn weakness, full calcium growth and proper functioning of all the nerves in that area.. beat that ! I have facts to prove, the number of xrays taken, amount of medicines used, steep money spent and not to mention the agony of pain !!

sugar gobbles were actually cheaper, easier to take and finally got me rid of the pain.

Last edited by kri$hna : 18th May 2010 at 16:38.
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 16:38   #75
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

e1t1bet, if you want to disagree, do it nicely without causing offence. If you can't maintain that basic decency in communication, it is better not to post at all on Team-BHP.

Calling other people's views as nonsense doesn't make your viewpoint correct. I am going by my life experience. I have seen enough non-allopathy cures that worked so well, the allopathy doctors didn't have a clue how it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The year was somewhere around mid 1930s, Diwali time. A 10 month old baby is suffering from double pneumonia. There was no proper treatment available in English medicine then. Many doctors were consulted and everybody tried many treatments and nothing worked. Finally the parents were told to take their only child home and await the inevitable. Death was knocking at the door.

But the parents were not about to give up completely. As last resort they consulted the local Ayurvedic doctor. Since all hope were already given up, the doctor asked them to simply trust him with his judgement, so they did. He applied a poultice of flax seed on the baby for 3 continuous days. On the 4th day the baby started recovering, got well in a week and eventually became my mother.

This Ayurvedic doctor eventually gained a legendary reputation in the area for his magical touch of healing. His name was Dr.Vasudevaiah of Narayana Vaidya ashram of Bappanadu, Mulki. It is right next to Bappanadu temple on NH-17 at Mulki. Currently run by late Dr.Vasudevaiah's son and grandson, both highly qualified Ayurvedic doctors (MD) who are continuing the long line of family Ayurvedic tradition. Remaining 5 sons of Vasudevaiah became highly qualified Allopathic doctors.

When I heard this story from my mother recently, I got goosebumps, so I wanted to share this here.

Meanwhile my 3 year old son regularly throws temper tantrums for hours together and there is absolutely no way to pacify him during that time. There is an Ayurvedic medicine (chinhe) prescribed the Dr.Vasudevaiah for curing temper tantrums, it can be given right from the age of 1 month to 5 year old, with varying dosages. My mother claims that pretty much every child in my extended family including me have taken this medicine for similar problems. But my wife is quite reluctant to try some village medicine on our child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
kalpesh, about 1.5 years back my son had something like on his both his calves for months together. Doctors kept on giving ointments to apply over it, or offer to burst it, etc. In fact, he missed the Munnar OTR because of it. We had to leave him home with my in-laws during the trip.

After repeated failure with allopathic treatment for 3 months, my wife took him to an ayurvedic doctor who is located 50 meters from my office. He is a professor in a local ayurvedic college. One look at it, he suspected blood infection and asked for a blood test report. Blood infection was confirmed, and then he treated it with ayurvedic medicines. My son was fully cured in 15 days.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 16:41.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy CaliAtenza Shifting gears 65 25th June 2013 15:57
CJ4A jeep : Looking for alternative petrol engine options abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 6 5th October 2010 17:20
Alternative Fuel Options !! man23ish The Indian Car Scene 31 31st July 2008 12:12
Santro gets a underchassis treatment. Shan2nu The Indian Car Scene 2 28th June 2004 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks