Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 17:44   #91
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

List of known Homeopathic doctors in Mumbai :-

DR FARIDA A TALATI
Royal Terrace, Wode Hse Rd Colaba,
Bombay - 400 005, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 22182323

DR FAROKH J MASTER
Ratan - Abad, Tukaram Javji Road,
Bombay - 400 007, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 23808382
Email: farokhmaster@gmail.com

DR GOOL BOMANSHA CAMA
105-D, Poornima Apts, 23 Peddar Road,
Bombay - 400 026, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 23512194

DR NAHEED S CONTRACTOR
Jehangir Mans, 75 Hughes Rd,
Bombay - 400 007, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 23611931
Email: naheedcontractor@hotmail.com

DR PARINAZ HUMRANWALA
583, Vipin Villa, Jame Jamshed Rd, Nr Five Gardens, Dadar-Matunga,
Bombay - 400 019, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 24129996
Email: parinaz@vsnl.com

DR SHIRIN J WADIA
Jehangir Mansion, 75, Hughes Rd.,
Bombay - 400 007, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 23611931
Email: shirinw@vsnl.com

DR VIRAF J KAPADIA
R 28, Godrej Baug,
Bombay - 400 026, Maharashtra, India
Phone: 23685688
Email: dr_vkapadia@yahoo.com

Dr Shreepad Khedekars Imperial Clinic
Shop No 1, Ground Floor, Thirshul Ganga Housing Society Ltd,
Sindhi Society,
Chembur East, Mumbai - 400071
Call +(91)-(22)-61616070

Dr Nilima H Thakkar
+(91)-(22)-61613298
89, Near Lion Garden,
Geetaganli Tilak Road Sreemad Rahchandra Lane,
Ghatkopar East, Mumbai - 400077
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 18:07   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Smile

I will give my example.
10 yrs of tonsil problems.
Doctors started me on Erythromycin. Still would get infections. Again the same treatment.
Soon it stopped having effects on me.
I graduated to Roxtheptin (Somteing like that. I forget the name. Tonsil sufferers will know).
Soon that also stopped having effects on me.
Then doctors started me on Gatifloxin. Now this is apparently something strong. Medicine counter guy will ask me if this is what I really wanted.

Then enough was enough. I was tired of the Tonsil infections and the accompanying fever which would ground me for a week.

I decided to get my tonsils surgically removed.

Then on one day I had a severe tonsil infection. Just out of curiosity went to Dr. Batras. He gave me medicine. I enrolled just for the heck of it. Presto. Next morning, yes my friends, Next morning I woke up with a normal throat. No tonsil infection. And no fever. earlier with regular allopathic medicines it took 1 week of drugs.If you have suffered for 10 years you will understand the joy I felt. I took 3 years of treatment. And now I still do get tonsil infection. But I don't get fever, its no ways as painful as it was before. And best part, it goes away without medicines. Just drink hot water during attacks to keep the pain down. In fact as I write this I have slight infection in throat but I know just warm water is all I need. It will go away.
I have been off the allopathic medicines regarding Tonsil infections ever since I joined Dr. Batras. Occasional Paracetamol yes.

Now I dont care if Homeopaty is hoax.
I dont care if they add steroids to medicines.
I dont care if hair did not grow despite Dr. Batras treatment.

All I know is that I wanted relief and followed the prescribed regiment of medicines religiously.
And relief I got.

Period.

Last edited by download2live : 18th May 2010 at 18:10. Reason: more info
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:03   #93
BHPian
 
tacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Herndon, VA
Posts: 125
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I was reading this and I thought you were about to substantiate this argument properly, and then I see this:



and I realized that you know nothing about Homeopathy.
e1t1bet has said it better than I ever could about the concentration levels of homeopathic pills.

One more joke:

30C dilution: Dilution advocated by Hahnemann (Homeopathy inventor) for most purposes; patient would need to consume 10^41 pills (a billion times the mass of the Earth), or 10^34 gallons of liquid remedy (10 billion times the volume of the Earth) to consume a single molecule of the original substance


Last edited by tacho : 18th May 2010 at 19:07.
tacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:11   #94
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 543
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Phew a lot of discussion and this thread looks like a war zone!!and like some threads in tbhp this discussion is not going anywhere!!

I am an allopathic doctor.many of the things that have been discussed are true and ven more are false.i will just make an attempt to clarify.

First of all, i am not giving any comments about Homeopathy or Ayurveda.simply because i do not know about it and i wont talk about what i dont know.

But guys, to say something like allopathy treats only symptoms is far far from the truth.we do know the cause of many ailments and we do treat the cause.the best example is antibiotics-the discovery of Penicillin has saved lives across the globe!!!and so also other antibiotics!!there is no need of any studies to prove that-all the patients we have treated and are thankful for saving their lives are enough testimony to that!!

It is true that many drug trials are Pharma company sponsored for their own financial benefits but that is just part of the story!!a lot are not!!and most of the trials that are seriously considered when making treatment guidelines are not pharma sponsored!!drug trials fall into different categories and it is usually multi-centric and RCT trials that are considered when making treatment guidelines.

Whether allopathy is the best or not i do not know.but all the years of research that has gone down cannot be looked down at.look at vaccines, antibiotics, treatment for Diabetes and Hypertension etc.people are living long because of these medications guys!!

When we have difficulty in breathing we realise the importance of breathing which we may not realise in everyday life!!so also is the case with allopathy-sad to say that, but we fail to realise its importance!!

everything said and done there are lots of allopathic doctors who are very irresponsible and prescribe medications irrationally, do not communicate well with patients, see patients as just 'faulty machines' and who just want to make maximum money out of people!!but lets not forget the importance of allopathy due to these people!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 19:20   #95
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

@dr.faramroze - This is quite a comprehensive list. I'll try and visit one of them for sure.

PS: Which faculty of medicine do you practice?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 21:13   #96
BHPian
 
dr.faramroze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Valsad/Mumbai
Posts: 155
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Prof in Physiotherapy, research areas in Psychosomatic illnesses, with special interest in pain rating scales and chronic pain management.

Visiting consultant therapist for computerised physiotherapy at clinics and hospitals.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 21:52   #97
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So our fellow member's point doesnt look too way out. If you have had a bad experience, you have had a bad experience with one, or some people in some situations. Your opinion is based on that.
No, my opinion is not based on my encounters. I have never tried homeopathy, and I do not know anyone who has. What I am stating is based on scientifically established facts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Just as you feel that way, there are people who feel the opposite, and are comfortable with what they have. They are not going to change their views as much as you will not change your views.
I am not trying to change anyone's views. If someone wants to try homeo, even after knowing pros and cons, it is his choice and I respect that. However, I won't stand back and watch while people go around spreading baseless myths. We aren't discussing car engines here. A choice between scientific medicine, and homeopathy is a very significant one and someone's life can be at stake.
Imagine a stroke survivor, who reads random posts by ill-informed homeo advocates, and eventually decides to stop his daily aspirin dose in favour of sugar balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You are not being forced to try it or do anything about it. While you chose to respond or ignore to the questions put to you, there's nothing much that you are showing for as proof that it does not work.
I have provide enough evidence. The fact that you cannot comprehend basic volumetrics isn't my problem, and it is not my prerogative to teach you that. Feel free to consult fraudulent homeo practitioners and swallow sugar balls.


Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And you will never be able to disprove to the people who have benefitted from it, that it does not work. Because for these people, (me included), the study is their own cases.
meh.
The burden of proof, in this case lies on your side, not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
And what is anecdotal ? Me sharing what has worked for me is an anecdote for myself & by me ? If I see by myself something that has worked for someone in my proximity - is it an anecdote ?
Yes.
(1) It isn't a scientific way of sampling.
(2) people can get cured on their own due to a variety of factors.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Looks like you only believe in studies which are mostly funded by pharmacy companies.
The fact is that there is NO (afaik) scientific evidence which suggests that Homeopathy has any benefits other than placebo. Are you trying to suggest that this is so because all scientific bodies are being funded by the pharma companies?
Be more responsible. You are associated with T-bhp, as I understand from your avatar. I hope you understand how outrageous it is to support replacing real, proven medical science with pseudo-science from a position of authority.


P.S. I have no issues with someone advocating homeo as a supplement (well, after all it has no effect ). However, advocating replacement of scientific drugs with pseudo-science is quasi-criminal in nature.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 18th May 2010 at 22:08.
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:03   #98
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,491
Thanked: 6,768 Times
Default

And who said homeopathy and ayurveda are not scientific? they are also very much scientific. For heavens sake we have prestigious institutions teaching them also, world over. Its a different matter that there are some unqualified quacks who practice it without any scientific training, but so is the case with allopathy also.

Rubbishing it is very ridiculous.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:17   #99
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Dawkin's take on homeopathy:

e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 22:31   #100
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If you have had a bad experience, you have had a bad experience with one, or some people in some situations. Your opinion is based on that. Just as you feel that way, there are people who feel the opposite, and are comfortable with what they have. They are not going to change their views as much as you will not change your views.
Wrong. There are fence-sitters like me who did not know about homeopathy but have a firm grounding in science. I would like to listen to both sides of the argument and decide what sounds more convincing. And after following these arguments and browsing the web, I find the skeptics much more convincing. As for skeptics being deluded by "studies funded by pharma companies" I might add that the respected medical journal Lancet concluded after a great deal of research that homeopathy doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
There's nothing much that you are showing for as proof that it does not work. And you will never be able to disprove to the people who have benefitted from it, that it does not work.
Hello, aren't you getting it backward? The onus is not upon skeptics to prove that something doesn't work; the burden of proof is on the person who makes a fantastic claim. You could firmly believe in (say) angels, but it's up to you to prove such things exist if you want people to take you seriously. Or they will simply laugh at you and you can do nothing about it. Considering that homeopaths aren't exactly running a free service, the practice amounts to fraud. Also, when you see governments sponsoring and propagating such superstition, the public is very much entitled to know where their taxpayers' money is going. So who's volunteering a scientific explanation for this remarkable "science"? Any takers?

Seriously folks, to make homeopathy look respectable it seems to desperately need the kid-glove treatment that we so graciously offer that other widespread superstition -- religion. Is it any wonder that homeopathy has all but vanished in the country of its origin (Germany) but thrives in regions where illiteracy and superstition abound?
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:25   #101
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,490 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
The fact is that there is NO (afaik) scientific evidence which suggests that Homeopathy has any benefits other than placebo. Are you trying to suggest that this is so because all scientific bodies are being funded by the pharma companies?
Well, I didn't say all. You appear to be pretty good in googling, I am sure you can find countless instance of tainted research. I lived 9 years in New Jersey, which probably has the highest number of Pharma companies in USA. I have heard enough stories from acquaintances who were in the industry. Like any industry, they have their share of rogue elements trying to influence research to suit their bottom lines. There is no reason to treat medical research sacrosanct. If it works for me, fine. Otherwise, I will look at other alternatives.

I treat allopathy, ayurveda, homeopathy, yoga, fitness training as tools to improve various aspects of my health. If one tool doesn't work for something, I try another tool.

Pharma funded research is a wellknown concern: Medical Journals: Still Too Lazy to ID Pharma-Funded Research | BNET Pharma Blog | BNET

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Be more responsible. You are associated with T-bhp, as I understand from your avatar. I hope you understand how outrageous it is to support replacing real, proven medical science with pseudo-science from a position of authority.
To hear the word responsible from you is very strange. You are the one who is trashing alternative medicine despite hearing so many positive experiences from people who have used it. I have had so many positive experiences with Ayurvedic medicine, so I am all for it. Right now my son is undergoing homeopathy treatment for the physical conditions related to autism, and we have seen much positive results compared to before. That is what I trust, and not what some rude guy says on Internet. For me being responsible means talking from first hand experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Is it any wonder that homeopathy has all but vanished in the country of its origin (Germany) but thrives in regions where illiteracy and superstition abound?
Fortunately, we can easily confirm whether it has really vanished from Germany. There is a German lady on the forum who is a big fan of Homeopathy.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1357111

Last edited by Samurai : 18th May 2010 at 23:29.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 23:55   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I didn't say all.
So you do accept that the likes of Pfizer have not been able to buy every research institute. Yet, all scientific research unequivocally points out that homeopathy has no benefits other than placebo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You appear to be pretty good in googling, I am sure you can find countless instance of tainted research. I lived 9 years in New Jersey, which probably has the highest number of Pharma companies in USA. I have heard enough stories from acquaintances who were in the industry. Like any industry, they have their share of rogue elements trying to influence research to suit their bottom lines. There is no reason to treat medical research sacrosanct. If it works for me, fine. Otherwise, I will look at other alternatives.
I treat allopathy, ayurveda, homeopathy, yoga, fitness training as tools to improve various aspects of my health. If one tool doesn't work for something, I try another tool.

Pharma funded research is a wellknown concern: Medical Journals: Still Too Lazy to ID Pharma-Funded Research | BNET Pharma Blog | BNET
Yes, favourable things are written about company drugs etc etc
Still, it is not something that effects every journal ever published. Almost every authority in the world has raised its doubts, including WHO.

WHO: ‘Homeopathy not a cure’ - Counterknowledge.com

Quote:
Dr Mario Raviglione, Director, Stop TB Department, WHO: “Our evidence-based WHO TB treatment/management guidelines, as well as the International Standards of Tuberculosis Care (ISTC) do not recommend use of homeopathy.”
Dr Mukund Uplekar, TB Strategy and Health Systems, WHO: “WHO’s evidence-based guidelines on treatment of tuberculosis…have no place for homeopathic medicines.”
Dr Teguest Guerma, Director Ad Interim, HIV/AIDS Department, WHO: “The WHO Dept. of HIV/AIDS invests considerable human and financial resources [...] to ensure access to evidence-based medical information and to clinically proven, efficacious, and safe treatment for HIV… Let me end by congratulating the young clinicians and researchers of Sense About Science for their efforts to ensure evidence-based approaches to treating and caring for people living with HIV.”
Dr Sergio Spinaci, Associate Director, Global Malaria Programme, WHO: “Thanks for the amazing documentation and for whistle blowing on this issue… The Global Malaria programme recommends that malaria is treated following the WHO Guidelines for the Treatment of Malaria.”
Joe Martines, on behalf of Dr Elizabeth Mason, Director, Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, WHO: “We have found no evidence to date that homeopathy would bring any benefit to the treatment of diarrhoea in children…Homeopathy does not focus on the treatment and prevention of dehydration - in total contradiction with the scientific basis and our recommendations for the management of diarrhoea.”
e1t1bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 01:30   #103
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Fortunately, we can easily confirm whether it has really vanished from Germany. There is a German lady on the forum who is a big fan of Homeopathy.
I agree "vanished" is too sweeping a word. But being a fan means nothing -- if anything, the word implies that the person supports something blindly without questioning. Anyway, my intention was not to assert that there are no fans of homeopathy in Germany; the point I was making was that practising homeopaths are a minuscule segment in Europe today. (In comparison, Ayurveda has a far greater mindshare in India.)

If homeopathic medicines were so effective, wouldn't you think the "big pharma companies" would patent these tinctures and sugar pills and make big money out of them? Why waste energy and effort promoting allopathic medicines, which admittedly have side-effects and are expensive to manufacture? But I haven't heard of any global pharmaceutical company that specialises in homeo medicines. The usual excuse will be that homeo medicines can't be mass-produced; they are tailor-made to fit the patient etc.

I'd have conceded that the herbs and chemicals might do something, but then I realised that no homeopath can distinguish between a particular "medication" and plain water. No, not even with the best scientific instruments. The dilution is so thorough that it's unlikely that even one molecule of the original substance remains at the end of the process. If that weren't enough, the more dilute the solution the more potent it's claimed to be. Could anything be weirder?

Since nobody seems willing to provide an explanation for the "science" behind homeopathy, I dug out the following illuminating write-up from the Internet: What's wrong with homeopathy. Also check out the Wikipedia entry. Wikipedia is by no means an authority on anything, but at least it's a collaborative effort that's based on neutral input, and not one person's opinion. But hey, if you're a fan of homeopathy chances are you're automatically a conspiracy theorist. No wonder the article can't be freely edited.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 19th May 2010 at 01:39. Reason: corrected links
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 09:18   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

I guess both camps have put forth their views and as all of us are responsible adults, we can make our own choices. We do understand that homeopathy is not the way to go when you have a stroke but can definitely be looked at as an option when allopathy has not worked. All it takes is faith. It may not have as much scientific backing now as allopathy but that doesn't mean that it would NEVER have any scientific backing at all. If it was quack medicine I am sure that most of the governments would have banned it completely.

Threads on such forums are only a 'discussion' and they should be treated that way. If someone stops taking insulin and resorts to sugar balls after reading posts on a forum, he needs serious help in other departments too !!

@e1t1bet - You have made your point by quoting from a few sites. It helped in documenting evidence 'against' homeopathy. But if two people have faith and are discussing something about homeopathy, it is a little rude and unwarranted for you to keep pointing out the shortcomings of homeopathy. For example, in my case, I am aware of the pros and cons of homeopathy but still I'd like to try it once to experience it for myself.

I am really keen to know about your views on yoga, ayurveda and naturopathy though.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 09:42   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
vasoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Memphis TN
Posts: 1,031
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

I had chronic problems with my digestive system (IBD) since 20 years and have been taking expensive medicines all along including a surgery some 4-5 years back. Later I started having problems with side effects of these meds and things were getting worse. Couple of years back I went to a Homeo doctor in Bangalore and after taking his meds for about 6 months, I am completely normal and no longer depend on any meds. I can vouch for the effectiveness of Homeo medicines. The cost of each appointment (once in 6 weeks) with him was about Rs 100 including the meds. In comparison the allopathy doctor charged Rs350 for each appointment and the meds were Rs 8000 + every month.

There is no question about the effectiveness of homeo medicines. However seeing the right doctor and taking right medicines at required potency is of utmost importance.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirty Medicine-The Inside Story of Ranbaxy CaliAtenza Shifting gears 65 25th June 2013 15:57
CJ4A jeep : Looking for alternative petrol engine options abheekg 4x4 Vehicles 6 5th October 2010 17:20
Alternative Fuel Options !! man23ish The Indian Car Scene 31 31st July 2008 12:12
Santro gets a underchassis treatment. Shan2nu The Indian Car Scene 2 28th June 2004 13:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:10.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks