Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 23rd June 2009, 00:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

I just had a lithotripsy done last week, and will be getting my stent removed later this week.

in my case, it involved shoving a camera and a laser or whatever it is up your privates. I had anasthesia - it was a bloody experience

not sure if i can be done without it

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd June 2009 at 01:01.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 00:58   #17
BHPian

Thanks friends, You all really helpful to me, I will start to search for a good doctor and will update the thread once done.

Quote:
I had anasthesia - it was a bloody experience
Oh man, the good joke is - I too had 2 kidney stones with me, one is 6mm and another one is in kidney which is 8 mm. I had all the diseases from my father (sugar, pressure and now kidney stone in age 23!) But I never worried about me till. But now I am afraid after listening your experiences. What's the size of your calculus? Anyway I will try my best to get the stones out myself.

And friends, Is it true that drinking beer is good for kidney stones?

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 23rd June 2009 at 01:06.
ibm_jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 07:11   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Very dumb question - how can us average joes find out about potential kidney stones that we may have?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 07:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

you'll have horrible pain around your waist. starting at the back , around the back, and down to the groin. Its fairly obvious
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 07:30   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm talking leading indicators, not "You missed the bus two years back" indicators boy ...
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

ibm_jennifer, sorry about your father's condition. as per my knowledge 16mm is bit big to get dissolved aby taking enough fluids, though doctor should be the right person to decide.

Regarding the Anesthesia, I am sure this can be done with local anesthesia and Lithotripsy.

I have been diagnosed with stone in both the kidneys 5 month back. but as per doctors they can be get rid off by increasing the fluid intake level. They are of 5 mm and 3 mm in size for left and right rescpectively. It was not diagnosed in Xrays and Ultrasound but there was pain. Then doctor suggested to go for CT, which clearly mentiond the stone.

I am also trying homeopathic treatment, for last one month but don't see much improvement. I also experience little pain sometimes, like if I drive for more that 2 hours. and some time heaviness on lower back rightside.

Me too looking for some solution for the same. Its very uncomfortable if not painful, at present.

and regarding beer, I guess its true by logic as it increases the urine output which is very essential to push the stone out. But still you will have to keep the hydration level high. Though I have not yet tried it as I do not take hard drink, but I will have to try it soon.

Last edited by rkbharat : 23rd June 2009 at 08:44.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
"Studied in Apollo", since when did Apllo started teaching!
Or probably you are talking about Management course or DNB.

Can that be internship or residency? I usually see doctors doing MS/MD doing graveyard shifts in big hospitals here in Bombay.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:34   #23
BHPian

Yes, you will get severe pain in stomack, waist and back. The pain will not lower if you go toilet. If you have no vomiting, then it may be kidney stone. Avoid pepsi and cola drinks to prevent stones. If you had stones, avoid chocolate and tomotos. Currently i am taking k-cit and cystone tablets, but no improvenet. Will try beer.

any idea, how control the pain while driving long other than oviron?
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Yes, you will get severe pain in stomack, waist and back. The pain will not lower if you go toilet. If you have no vomiting, then it may be kidney stone. Avoid pepsi and cola drinks to prevent stones. If you had stones, avoid chocolate and tomotos. Currently i am taking k-cit and cystone tablets, but no improvenet. Will try beer.

Even had undergone urethroscopy 2 weeks back. This is the third time am getting a stone, this time it was 8mm. The first 2 times, they were small and just seline with painkillers did the job.

Getting anesthetised is such an experience! There were some 3 injections given in my spine. I didnt feel when the first 2 were given, but the 3rd made me feel my veins literally. Enjoyable though.
bheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

I know a homeopathic doctor who dissolved kidney stones of my brother in laws friend using medicines. I can share the number of his assistant if you want to discuss with them.

The doctor is based in bangalore. He is successful and consults in various cities across india. I am taking my son there for eczema based on the feedback from brothers friend.

May Allah take care of you and your family.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 17:58   #26
BHPian

Default No Pain

I had lithotripsy done in 2005. I do a scan now every year and thankfully, no signs of it re-occuring.

Everyone need not experience lower back pain, though it is the major symptom in 98% of the cases. I belonged to the remaining 2% . In my case it was severe vomitting and nausea which used to occur once in 2 month. Also to my knowlege, the pain ( or vomitting ) is not related to any activity like driving, etc. It can happen at any time. Its happened in the middle of the night when sleeping once.

We found it was kidney stone related only by eliminating other causes like acidity, ulcer, and what not.
m8002? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 20:02   #27
BHPian

@lbm_jennifer.. Any good and reputed hospital something like CMC vellore or some big hospital (with its medical college) should not have problem providing anesthesia to your father.
Have faith in doctors treating him and hopefully everything will be fine.Also make sure that his BP,blood sugar is kept strictly normal under the guidance of his doctor.

Small hospitals and nursing homes usually avoid these types of patients as these are high risk and recent attacks on hospitals haven't helped either.So they usually avoid high risk patients to avoid any trouble later in case of any eventuality which may happen anytime in our profession.

@rkbharat..take plenty of water,4-5times of normal intake if possible, and hopefully stones will flush out in urine.

go for reapeat scan after about 4-5weeks to see if the stones are still there.If still there then you can go for 'flush method' which is giving 2 bottles of iv fluid very fast and then followed by slow one bottle with pain killer and diuretics.
This method is not written in our books and not advised by some doc it somehow works most of times but only in small stones like you have.DONT EVEN THINK OF TRYING IN CASE OF BIGGER STONES.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd June 2009 at 20:11.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:37   #28
BHPian

Thank you friends, All your posts are really helpful and I am confident enough now to guide my father.

Any suggestion about Trivandrum Medical college?
Old 23rd June 2009, 21:46   #29
BANNED

Don't worry Jennifer, just make sure that heart/diabetes ailments are brought under control before anasthesia/surgery. In regards to ESWL, its kind of an OPD procedure, there's not much to worry.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
I take meftalspas if it gets too much. Sometimes, I even take one tab before the trip.

In my case its not too much pain but little pain with heaviness.

I took cystone for 2 month, no help. Also Ston-1 did'nt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
@rkbharat..take plenty of water,4-5times of normal intake if possible, and hopefully stones will flush out in urine.

go for reapeat scan after about 4-5weeks to see if the stones are still there.If still there then you can go for 'flush method' which is giving 2 bottles of iv fluid very fast and then followed by slow one bottle with pain killer and diuretics.
This method is not written in our books and not advised by some doc it somehow works most of times but only in small stones like you have.DONT EVEN THINK OF TRYING IN CASE OF BIGGER STONES.
Thanks buddy

Last edited by rkbharat : 23rd June 2009 at 22:13.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote