Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 18th August 2009, 20:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

This is why new cars have steering mounted audio controls. Its much safer. However, on ergonomically well designed cars, the volume control falls into hand without one needing to look at all. Its only the small single DIN players with tiny buttons which need you to look away.
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 21:22   #32
BANNED

Smile

Quote:
Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it?
Dangerous? Compared to what? The bubonic plague? It's bad enough that this thread is started.

Courtesy: No Country for Old Men (2007) - Memorable quotes
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 00:45   #33
BHPian

I never thought people would do such a thing as texting while driving until I saw one. I still clearly remember it. It was a Sunday morning on my way to church. I (rather we, with family) had just come out of the Moolchand underpass, on that slight curve near Andrews Ganj. There was a Verna on the first lane going pretty slow. I honked a few times. It did not give way. So I overtook from LHS and glanced at the driver. Oh well! There sits lady driver texting away to glory. Now, where did I get the notion that women drivers are more responsible drivers?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 07:53   #34
BHPian

I dont understand why people need to look at the screen while Texting.

If you know your keypad, one can easily type without looking at the screen.

(same goes for computer keyboard)

Duh!
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 08:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Dangerous? Compared to what? The bubonic plague? It's bad enough that this thread is started.

Courtesy: No Country for Old Men (2007) - Memorable quotes
That is exactly what I thought when I saw the thread open! Then, I came across someone recommending a safe way of doing this. It takes all sorts to be a TBHPian too, I guess.
And you can rest assured that texting is something that more than one person on this forum is guilty of doing. As is using a cell phone while driving, without a hands free set, which in itself is not a safe thing to do - even a hands free takes too much attention away from the road.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th August 2009 at 08:05.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 09:20   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite frankly in my view texting while driving is far more dangerous that taking a call while driving. In the latter you are only mentally distracted while in the former you are distracted visually which is far more dangerous.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:10   #37
BHPian

@Thad E Ginathom

Quote:
this is made in UK
The wales police department made it I think- also the RHD. The fact that it was published on an american site coupled with the accent and my attention deficit disorder which i made up just now, I concluded this to be a US PSA.

Sorry folks.
PaglaGoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 13:41   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, it was made in Wales. The accents are curious, but best we don't sidetrack ourselves from the issue to discuss them! What struck me as strange was you missing the fact that the cars were driving on left side of the road!

Back to the important topic; this touch-typing thing is, I think, completely wrong. It may be less dangerous than full eyes-on-the-phone, but it is still attention off the road, and one hand off the driving.

Texting is just the ultimate in phone-related suicidal/murderous behaviour. Using the phone at all is absolutely not consistent with safe driving.

Even using hands-free kit, which is legal in many countries, and the safest way, is a distraction.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 14:02   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

First of all, it is an SMS! Its not a phone call which if you dont reply to, will go amiss! The silly message is going to stay on the phone! Why, in whoever-one-prays-to's holy name, does one need to respond to it ASAP?? If it required an immediate response, the sender would have called!
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 17:26   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Buy touch screen phones. You wont be able to type while driving, not unless you are a superhero. That is how I stop myself from texting while driving.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 18:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Driving + Moving Car + Bangalore Traffic + General Road Conditions + General behaviour of other road users + Mobile Phone Usage (Texting or Gaming or Talking) = Accident + Loss + Hurt + Endless Trouble.
Bottom-line (Nett Cost vs Benefit) = No Brainer (Humongous Cost vs Absolute ZERO Benefit.)
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 01:12   #42
Team-BHP Support

Recently, in Utah (USA) -- they have passed a law stating that Texting while driving is on par with Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol etc!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/te...pagewanted=all

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 05:47   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Buy touch screen phones. You wont be able to type while driving, not unless you are a superhero. That is how I stop myself from texting while driving.
This is so true! My bb storm is impossible to work with one hand alone. Its bad enough that people receive calls on their mobiles when driving. That is illegal and unsafe enough without excacerbating it by trying to text one another!
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:22   #44
Team-BHP Support

I recently came across this picture and i just had to post it here.

Ridiculous!!

Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it?-altu3.jpg
Rehaan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Texting, fiddling with the radio (non steering controls), inputting direction details into GPS device all require a shift in concentration. And a road is a place where dynamics and road situation is changing every second. It is very difficult to react in a giffy to salvage a situation. Whats more people are putting other innocent people in danger. WHy should anyone suffer because someone want to communicate.
My friend did this yesterday while driving, he was with his cell phone GPS and the steering controls all the time. I had to snatch the mobile and input the locations my self. I should I suffer because he wants to get a tattoo ?
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote