Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 15:27   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
just thought of posting a 3 year old news.
Deepclutch please do not post out-of-context and half-news. It is terribly misleading.

This is news from July 21 2006 - full article can be referred over here, ALSO 3 years old:

Pentagon Does About Face On Classifying Homosexuality -- Hausman 41 (14): 9 -- Psychiatr News

Quote:
Pentagon Does About Face On Classifying Homosexuality
On June 28 (2006), less than two weeks after the list of disorders became public, Pentagon officials deleted homosexuality from the list. The department issued a statement saying, "Homosexuality should not have been characterized as a mental disorder." It said that a "clarification" would soon be issued that acknowledges and corrects the policy.
And here
Pentagon Says Homosexuality Not Mental Disorder

In fact try google and you will find many more instances.

Your second reference is from a highly religious site tldm.com - please do not bring religion into this discussion.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 7th July 2009 at 15:30.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 7th July 2009, 17:57   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
setuniket,

i wasn't talking about legal ramifications. i was just mentioning the cops' general sadistic tendency to harass when they can and make life difficult. so what i was saying was, when they still continue to harass heterosexual couples under obscenity / indecency law threats etc. its a bit optimistic to assume that just this amendment is going to make them stop harassing gay couples.

sorry if i'm sounding a bit cynical guys.
I know that hell_rider, cops will not stop harrasing(both Homo's and Hetero's), I agree with you. Its just that they dont have the law(Sec 377) to threaten them, all they can do is book them under milder laws. I dont see(neither expect) any change in situation in coming times.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 07:51   #228
BHPian

Baba Ramdev moves SC over gay verdict - India - The Times of India

Baba Ramdev decides to appeal in Supreme court, claims it to be a disease and that its curable.

time to change the title- Appealed in the Supreme Court.
setuniket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 09:39   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Baba Ramdev moves SC over gay verdict - India - The Times of India

Baba Ramdev decides to appeal in Supreme court, claims it to be a disease and that its curable.

time to change the title- Appealed in the Supreme Court.
ahh...i was wondering when that would happen. it was inevitable i guess.

i would really like to learn how we as a country went from khajuraho and the kama sutra to the regressive ad intolerant social culture of today.
hell_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 12:07   #230
Team-BHP Support

Divorced from 377, gay couple in 'fearless' union - Chandigarh - Cities - The Times of India

Divorced from 377, gay couple in 'fearless' union
bblost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 12:57   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

There was an interesting article in today's HT. I thought it was beautifully written and in line with what many are saying here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2009 at 20:48. Reason: Please don't post scans from Indian publications. Perhaps post an excerpt or get permission to post the scans. Thanks.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 14:39   #232
Senior - BHPian

Great thoughts!
Two very important points.
1) If someone forces a hetro marriage on a gay person, he/she is bound to (in most cases) ruin his/her partner's life. Maybe not in some cases.

2) All those in blind favor of this ruling need to ask themselves, what if your son/daughter down the line says I'm Gay ? How will you handle that? May be we will handle it well but then there comes the family pressure and face saving etc etc.

I don't want answers literally but some points to ponder, introspect for a while.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 15:15   #233
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfully written article. Very apt.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 18:23   #234
Senior - BHPian

I think the article has gone overboard in presuming things. But sensationalism is what sells in media. Or it may just be an emotional outburst.

@prince... what would you do if your child comes up with some other socially unacceptable condition? would you want him/her to be happy? or face saving comes first? I guess that will answer your question.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 8th July 2009 at 18:25.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 04:14   #235
BHPian

Angry

I agree with you Prince.

@ Vivek, why don't you let it remain a private question. Time will tell what happens when this will come to someone's backyard. For now, abandon this topic, please

Request to everyone, please stop discussing this. For some, this is a mental condition, social disease, blablabla, and that will remain so no matter what you say. I am in that group and despise this ruling.

Then there is a group in which hell_rider, Sam and others are lobbying. I can't unfortunately support that group in their so called forwarding looking outlook.

MODS, PLEASE CLOSE or DELETE THREAD. This is nothing but senseless argument, where it is heading nowhere but is definitely hurting sentiments of a lot of people who are not in favor of a certain type of mentality/opinion/lifestyle.

Those who think, their support will help gay, trust me, it won't. If they are here to show that they exist, point taken. I had a traumatic experience while someone wanted to flaunt his right to be GAY, and would never support their lifestyle ever in my life. I mean if you are so, why not stay within your own circle when it comes to seeking support.

And this ruling doesn't make them more human or those who support it more forward or openminded or secular or cultured or (put your own word here) than who don't. There will always remain 2 sides of this coin and that will not change, ever.

I repeat, please close or delete this senseless thread.

over and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Great thoughts!
Two very important points.
1) If someone forces a hetro marriage on a gay person, he/she is bound to (in most cases) ruin his/her partner's life. Maybe not in some cases.

2) All those in blind favor of this ruling need to ask themselves, what if your son/daughter down the line says I'm Gay ? How will you handle that? May be we will handle it well but then there comes the family pressure and face saving etc etc.

I don't want answers literally but some points to ponder, introspect for a while.

Last edited by given2fly : 9th July 2009 at 04:25.
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 05:50   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Not a long time ago, many parents used to murder their new born girl child because of family and social pressures!! Now it is a criminal act. But there are still many parents and their relatives who feel disappointed/let down etc etc when a girl child is born. You can wish away argument for and against this, saying that its a private matter. But it only hides what is essentially a social evil.

Bottom line: Don't discriminate based on gender, color or sexual orientation, most of all, against your own child. Doing so means that you are a racist/sexist pig and have similar thought process as Adolf Hitler.

Last edited by spadival : 9th July 2009 at 05:52.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 06:44   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
@ Vivek, why don't you let it remain a private question. Time will tell what happens when this will come to someone's backyard. For now, abandon this topic, please
online forums won't exist if we decided to keep our thoughts private. I only gave direction to an already asked question, telling where the answer might be.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 07:32   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
@prince... what would you do if your child comes up with some other socially unacceptable condition? would you want him/her to be happy? or face saving comes first? I guess that will answer your question.
Vivek, it was something to ponder.
By introspection I meant to think for a second or two a situation where your child comes up to you and discusses his sexual bias/stand/chioce.

In that case how many, including me, would support his/her decision?
Ultimately, any educated parents, would give in to childrens' demands if he/she are happy, after the initial hungama.

As far as female genocide/infanticide is concerned it is banned both by religion and by law hence all are at concensus regarding that.

Many people hinted towards non use of what religion or God has to say regarding this. I tried but was told in a sober manner not to pull God or what his rules regading homosexuality. But, like greenie said, there are not many people who believe in what I believe. So since there is not common platform that we all share, there are going to be people who will be in favour and against homosexuality, and thus this inconclusive discussion.

All this, without any sarcasm and offences meant. The least we can do is take it in a healthy discussive spirit.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 9th July 2009 at 07:39.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 08:57   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

prince pervez does have a point. even if we are not to drag religion into this, most of our views in this are deeply influenced by what our religions ( or their representatives) advice us. It would be almost impossible for one to explain their reasons without bringing religion into the picture. Even if we were to keep specific religions out of this, this risks turning into a theist vs atheist debate

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th July 2009 at 08:58.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 09:39   #240
Senior - BHPian

If there are any gays present here, I invite them to come forward and put their perspective on the table. That will carry infinitely more weight than the POV of the others, who can go on arguing indefinitely. It may also help to create empathy.

Last edited by Gansan : 9th July 2009 at 09:41.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote