Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th March 2010, 15:26   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^^ Ebay India? That is, if the model works for you.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 16:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Yahoo has an integrated ecommerce solution that includes merchant services as well as payment gateways and shopping cart. However this is restricted to the US market only. Is anyone aware of such a service for the Indian market?

Yahoo! Merchant Solutions: Everything you Need for an Ecommerce Business
In India, you have two options:

1. Use Ebay/ rediff shopping/indiatimes shopping. In this case you need not think about website/hosting/shopping cart/payments. But this comes at a price. Approx 10% of billing would go to them.

2. Use CC avenue and similar providers. They provide easy to use payment gateway + shopping cart.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 15:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
^^ Ebay India? That is, if the model works for you.
Thank GTO but for some reason ebay in india just doesn't cut the same credibility like it does in the west. Would just be perceived as another unreliable seller and guess having ones own independent web site does a lot more for visibility.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 17:00   #34
BHPian

I would still sign with CC avenue or EBS, rather than work with ebay.
MuraliR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 10:44   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Thank GTO but for some reason ebay in india just doesn't cut the same credibility like it does in the west. Would just be perceived as another unreliable seller and guess having ones own independent web site does a lot more for visibility.
Work hard, keep your customers happy and build those star ratings. A well-rated ebay seller will automatically garner more trust than one who isn't.

The reason I suggested ebay is also that, you have a ready pool of customers to tap into (vis a vis making your own website and waiting for traffic / visitors to stop by).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 09:06   #36
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: E commerce website - What does one need to know?

Has anyone used the martjack platform for ecommerce? Seems to be decently priced. I guess buildbazaar is more economical. Are there any more options for a non IT person like me to start etail?
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 10:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Has anyone used the martjack platform for ecommerce? Seems to be decently priced. I guess buildbazaar is more economical. Are there any more options for a non IT person like me to start etail?
also look at Magento. I think this is the most widely used platform in the world.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
There are two broad approaches here,

1.) Open Source solution. e.g. osCommerce , Magento etc..
Here, software is free but you have to manage all other things like hosting/backup etc.

2.) Software As A Service a.k.a SaaS solutions..

martjack , buildabazzar comes into this category.

Here you get complete solution, you don't have to do anything (other than paying of course).

Other options from Google search on "India e-commerce SaaS".

IECommerce : Ecommerce Shopping Cart Hosting - Pricing
Zappo : Set-up your Shop Online in next 5 Minutes! Try for Free! :: ZEPO

There are many more also. Can't comment about any particular option because I don't have any real experience in this field.

One important aspect when buying any service is SLA : Service level agreement.
SLA is in simple terms like warranty/guaranty. It may also affect price of service.
As an example for hosted (paid) mail service, Google provides 99% ( may be more ) SLA. That means they guaranty 99% uptime. But their cost would also be higher compare to some other service provider which does not have such high SLA. It all depends on your requirement.
In a nutshell, Do read all Terms and Conditions of service.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 2nd August 2012 at 23:21. Reason: spelling
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:53   #39
Team-BHP Support

Was playing around with 2 new options for eCommerce in India, and here are my findings:

Build-a-Bazaar
www.buildabazaar.com
  • Netbanking can be set up easily with a basic list of documents. However, credit/debit cards require that you get your own payment gateway.
  • Evolving feature set. New things being added constantly.
  • A bit messy and un-polished at the back-end, but fairly versatile in terms of possibilities. Takes some figuring out to get working perfect.
  • Being an Infibeam site, it enables you to sell your products on their site, and vice-versa, with percentage earnings for each.
  • There is a basic free version too, look for the link at the bottom of the price page
  • 15 day trial available
E commerce website - What does one need to know?-builda-capture.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

ZEPO
www.zepo.in
  • Live chat on their site for any questions you may have (also have the option to have this on your store)
  • Super helpful, patient and eager team. Glad to answer your questions and make suggestions.
  • Honest and upfront about all costs involved (including selection of payment gateways - link)
  • Simple and clean looking designs as well as admin interface
  • Easy social media integration (FB, Twitter, Pinterest, etc)
  • Good discounts on payment gateway setups offered if you opt for their store
  • Dual payment gateway option (get the best rates by making different gateways handle different payment types)
  • SIMPLE step by step wizard to help you set up the basics of your site
  • SMS order notifications for customers (have your 6-character name as the sender)
  • 14 day trial available
E commerce website - What does one need to know?-zepo-capture.png

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2012 at 15:55.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 19:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default SSL Certificates

Looks like I am reviving an old thread.

Need some help guys. Looking to purchase an SSL certificate for a site that will accept credit/debit card payments. The site is hosted in Hostgator and is a Hatchling plan. It will need to be upgraded to a Baby plan along with a dedicated IP and an SSL certificate right?

Also, are there cheap SSL options? I don't want it to be so cheap as to provide no protection. It has to atleast provide domain certification. What is the best options around?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 11:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: SSL Certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Looks like I am reviving an old thread.

Need some help guys. Looking to purchase an SSL certificate for a site that will accept credit/debit card payments. The site is hosted in Hostgator and is a Hatchling plan. It will need to be upgraded to a Baby plan along with a dedicated IP and an SSL certificate right?

Also, are there cheap SSL options? I don't want it to be so cheap as to provide no protection. It has to atleast provide domain certification. What is the best options around?
Try this : http://support.hostgator.com/article...hat-type-is-it
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 11:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Do some research on these guys. From what i remember they had good pricing:

http://ssl.comodo.com/

cya
R

EDIT: Ah, i see hostgator already uses them.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 16:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Yup - been through all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Do some research on these guys. From what i remember they had good pricing:

http://ssl.comodo.com/

cya
R

EDIT: Ah, i see hostgator already uses them.
Yes, looks like I will go with that. Upgrade the hosting plan, purchase an SSL cert and dedicated IP. Thanks!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 11:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

I need to start a ecom store and its high time I actually get down doing it.
I am not very technically sound and can take all the advice that you have to offer.

The Plan is to sell Sunglasses, Optical Frames, Contact lenses and related accessories.

I had a chat with Martjack, however I found it very confusing. My friends told me its quite easy and I will get a hang of it when I start using the same.
Now, I tried the free version of Shopify and I find it quite easy to use. The problem is that they do not have a office in India.

Will that be a problem? Like, if there is an issue I think its always best to talk to someone that email exchange.

I am sure about my products and can offer value. I intend to go Online to offer cash on delivery and EMI options too. The online store will reach a larger audience and I dont want to mess up by doing some shady website.

I am already selling on FB and these are to friends who just ping me their choice and I send them. Wish it were so simple.

What would be the easiest to use like Shopify for a newbie like me?

All you inputs, how much ever in detail are welcome. Do inbox me if you find it might go OT and long.

Benny
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 11:59   #45
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
I need to start a ecom store and its high time I actually get down doing it.

The Plan is to sell Sunglasses, Optical Frames, Contact lenses and related accessories.
-----------

I am already selling on FB and these are to friends who just ping me their choice and I send them. Wish it were so simple.
Benny
Hey! Maybe you could have a look at this site www.enmarkit.com
They are big on social selling and enabling commerce right in your social media.

Copying from their description

List
Enter price, pictures and description of the service or product you wish to sell. Upload Multi-media files to attract buyers.
Share your unique Listing page on Social Networks, emails, blogs, or even your website. Enable clients and friends to view your catalogue anytime, anywhere.
Sell
Impress your buyers with a light, clean and FAST payment mechanism. Get payments securely to your bank account, without hassles of installing payment gateways.

--------
Note: I am not associated with them. The founder was a guest speaker at a seminar i attended.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote