Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th July 2009, 19:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Double Whammy for the poor sunny

Yeah you guessed it right, its me again

I dont know why such things happen to me, there should be some explanation at least.

The latest story goes like this :

I was trying to book tickets to India from London since last month and then the boss played a spoilsport that no leaves possible in October 2009.
I wanted to book tickets arounf October mid due to Diwali and it will be full 6 months since i am away from India.
Finally the boss relented as a crucial release got a bit postponed and there goes sunny to all Travel sites offering best deals and blah blah.

Talked to couple of guys including Southall Travel which seems to be favourite here in london for India Travel but somehow the ticket prices were way beyond the normal expected fares.
Still kept trying and the best options i got was with Gulf Air/Kuwait Air and both were +1 stop flights and somehow couldnt convince myself to book these. Then, while going from Office to tube station, noticed a travel agent with full of Indian people serving there.
Went inside and asked for deals around Mid October, this guy Raj was very prompt and helping, and he finally after trying for half an hour on various airlines, right in front of me, got me a good deal on Air India(direct flight) to Delhi, and price was too good to be true.

Now, the heart breaker part, i had to change my travel dates to fly on weekdays. I thought for a couple of minutes and said OK lets do it.But there was still one surprise, Air India reduced Bagage Allowance to 28 kgs from 46 kgs.

I said what the heck ? How can they do this when everybody is telling me that fly with Air India and carry lot of stuff.
This guy Raj tries again on Jet Airways but no seats available for Return around 25th due to Diwali, what could i do, had to book the ticket with a heavy heart.
Now as bad luck would have it, They increased the Baggage Allowance from 28kgs to 46 kgs again and i am doomed.

Its a restrictive fare that i booked and cancellation charges are 150.
And my mood is spoilt since i have learnt of this development and i have been asking myself Why Me ?
What kind of Airline it is ? And how can they just go on Reducing/Increasing the Baggage Allowance every now and then.
And if they are increasing, then what bad i have done that i am still struck at 28 Kgs.

Now, the whole joy of my India Trip is gone.Wish they could allow me 46 kgs as i will have lot of winter clothes while i will be coming back.

Is there anyway that this can be sorted out, please pour your ideas.

If yes then whom shall i contact ?

thanks
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 19:56   #2
BHPian

Are you sure that the increase in the baggage allowance doesn't apply to you as well?
yogesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 20:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

yes, its written on ticket as 28 kgs.

And their website now says 46 kgs for those book ticket to india.

wish i could have waited for another week.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Call up AI and cry out! I am sure this is just a red-tape thing that will prevent you from enjoying the benefit.

All the best.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 21:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you have not flown yet, it will be retroactively applicable. Please visit the local AI office in London and have them make the change on your ticket.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 21:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

I will do so as the E-Mail mentioned in their website for London Office is also unreachable and my mail bounced.

Can somebody point me to their higher management so that i can at least lodge my protest against this irrrational policy.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sunny,

Try to visit the local office; forget email or phone call. Might work out better (hopefully!).
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote