Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2009, 13:54   #1
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,856
Thanked: 15,418 Times
Default No MTNL postpaid for those in Rented house!

For the Ladakh trip, I was trying to get a postpaid MTNL/BSNL connection.
In NCR, its MTNL connection.
I first contacted a distributor, and he told me that for address proof I either need to give an electricity bill in my name, or BSNL Landline in my name.
I told him I am in a rented house, and he refused, telling me that I need to contact MTNL Sancharhaat.
So I called them up, and they told me the same thing.
If I wanted MTNL, I will need to be in own house, for rented houses they will not give MTNL postpaid unless I am a Govt. Employee.
To be frank, this is the weirdest thing I have heard.
With silly rules like this no wonder they are being licked by the private operators.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 819 Times
Default Who cares?

The question is who cares? The MTNL/BSNL network is the best in the country, connecting almost all villages. Still they are as bad as they were when it comes to certain things. The reason? they know its public sector, don't perform still take your salary with TA,DA etc...etc. Most of the politicians owe they lacs of rupees as phone bills and their lines are intact, My dad and mom came to kerala to meet me and dad got hospitalised here for a month due to BP and sugar, when they returned the phones were disconnected fron non payment of minimum monthly rental , it took them close to 15 days numerous letters which started with, Dear Sir, This is to inform blah ...blah.. Surely BSNL/MTNL have nice future plans.

Last edited by pramodkumar : 29th July 2009 at 14:26.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 14:28   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,556
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default

Do they auction off the house, if you don't pay the bill?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do they auction off the house, if you don't pay the bill?
Ha ha, not for that. As a proof. Govt has taken such strict rules having teh terrorists in mind. But, who knows that they are the one who gets this connections easily

An address proof should be fine. But only for own house? That's a strange thing. Hope they dont insist on the sale deed.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,759
Thanked: 1,534 Times
Default

How about a document like rent agreement,wont that work?
I have used it many times to procure cell phone connections
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:14   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,556
Thanked: 6,313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ha ha, not for that. As a proof. Govt has taken such strict rules having teh terrorists in mind. But, who knows that they are the one who gets this connections easily

An address proof should be fine. But only for own house? That's a strange thing. Hope they dont insist on the sale deed.
oh ok.

So apart from the home owner, no one else can get a sim card.
Fantastic.
How about family/ co-dependants and so on.

Do we need to also carry some home ownership document if we come from another state carrying our mobiles with roaming enabled.

Security in India

I guess the placement schools in Pakistani terror camps have a field day getting recruits.
The is no other place in the world that has it so easy for terrorism to strike again and again without impunity.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:24   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,971
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

Guys guys! these rules are just for postpaid, i am sure if security was the prime concern here, then this rule would have been the same for prepaid as well, on the contrary its easily available.

I feel this just to get an assurance that the person will not disappear without settling the bill . Which quite usual these days(one of my team member disappeared without paying 25K to airtel), Having said that i still feel they can be a bit relaxed here.

@TSK you can get a prepaid and use if for your trip. Getting roaming, STD, ISD activated on a BSNL/MTNL is more painful than preparing a gypsy for Raid .

Last edited by pramodkumar : 29th July 2009 at 15:27.
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:25   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 613
Thanked: 116 Times
Default

Dear TSK,

AFAIK, BSNL accepts lease agreement. I've taken a land-line connections twice by submitting that, back in 2000 and 2002.

There is a BSNL exchange in Sec. 37, not too far from your place. They will certainly be able to help you out.

\N
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:28   #9
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,856
Thanked: 15,418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
How about a document like rent agreement,wont that work?
I have used it many times to procure cell phone connections
I also got BSNL with rental agreement. And if I had an active BSNL line I would have gotten MTNL postpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
oh ok.

So apart from the home owner, no one else can get a sim card.
Fantastic.
How about family/ co-dependants and so on.

Do we need to also carry some home ownership document if we come from another state carrying our mobiles with roaming enabled.

Security in India

I guess the placement schools in Pakistani terror camps have a field day getting recruits.
The is no other place in the world that has it so easy for terrorism to strike again and again without impunity.
you can buy pre paid phone without own house.
As for terrorist activities, I think if you wanted to use phone as a missile you can always throw the phone without a sim. The few milligrams of sim card won't really make a difference to its efficacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Dear TSK,

AFAIK, BSNL accepts lease agreement. I've taken a land-line connections twice by submitting that, back in 2000 and 2002.

There is a BSNL exchange in Sec. 37, not too far from your place. They will certainly be able to help you out.

\N
BSNL does not give Post paid mobile connection for noida as this area is under MTNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
@TSK you can get a prepaid and use if for your trip. Getting roaming, STD, ISD activated on a BSNL/MTNL is more painful than preparing a gypsy for Raid .
Pre paid does not work in Ladakh, only postpaid works

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th July 2009 at 15:30.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:32   #10
BHPian
 
neofromcapone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 271
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Work Around

In case of any utility service provider they need to have some amount of surety that the consumers will clear all bills. I have taken an office on rent and similar problem with procuring a MTNL connection.

As a work around they have asked me to furnish a letter from the landload, which states that the landlord will clear any pending bills (thats where my deposit will be used ). And I have my connection. All rules have some inherent flaws, but they are to protect the interests of the service provider and I guess thats fair.

Being a government body, these junior staff that we have to interact with do not care if they get new business or not.
neofromcapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,861
Thanked: 2,398 Times
Default

This is slightly OT but I have heard that Airtel has good connectivity in Leh/Ladakh did you check that?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:46   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
myavu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi - Kochi
Posts: 1,057
Thanked: 515 Times
Default

I am using a postpaid MTNL Dolphin since April 2005. I got the connection while staying at a rented accommodation in Lajpat Nagar -IV. I just submit a copy of my rent agreement and a copy of house owner's electricity bill along with application form directly at Sanchar Haat, Nehru Place. I got the SIM in 15 Mins and had a chance to select last 5 digits of the number.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 15:54   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,856
Thanked: 15,418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is slightly OT but I have heard that Airtel has good connectivity in Leh/Ladakh did you check that?
Nope Airtel will work in the city. For best coverage its BSNL/MTNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I am using a postpaid MTNL Dolphin since April 2005. I got the connection while staying at a rented accommodation in Lajpat Nagar -IV. I just submit a copy of my rent agreement and a copy of house owner's electricity bill along with application form directly at Sanchar Haat, Nehru Place. I got the SIM in 15 Mins and had a chance to select last 5 digits of the number.

Cheers!
Thanks, I think I will contact MTNL sanchar haat nehru place!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 20:05   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

BTW, the prepaid Trump doesn't work in Leh-Ladakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
@TSK you can get a prepaid and use if for your trip. Getting roaming, STD, ISD activated on a BSNL/MTNL is more painful than preparing a gypsy for Raid .
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2009, 20:41   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
This is slightly OT but I have heard that Airtel has good connectivity in Leh/Ladakh did you check that?
OT again - For future reference does Vodafone network or Tata indicom network works there?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Indicom not allowing prepaid to postpaid conversion deepakchan Gadgets, Computers & Software 5 28th May 2009 18:53
Hi... to all those worshipers of those mean machines !!! naman Introduce yourself 3 14th March 2007 11:49
Rented Cars i have driven - Merc, Ford Mustang etc.. rangaraj The International Automotive Scene 7 25th November 2005 12:01
Rented cars availabilty  & prices ahmad The Indian Car Scene 1 28th September 2004 17:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks