Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd August 2009, 17:17   #1
BHPian

Default Live in delhi? drive a car? Push it off a bridge into the yamuna!

Why?

Coz soon you wont have a place to park it!

The following article appeared in the Hindustan times yesterday.

"Finding space to park your car in the city is nothing short of a feat and it would very soon be a Herculean task.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), responsible for manning parking lots in the city, have finalised the number of authorised parking lots in the city, in a meeting on Saturday.
The number has come down to 200 from 800 (both authorised and unauthorised parking lots).
Also, to "deter people from parking at unauthorised places", the present challan of Rs 100 is being increased to Rs 500 for first offence.
Motorists will have to shell out Rs 1,000 and 1,500 for subsequent violations.

The Environmental Pollution Prevention and Control Authority (EPCA), which was been appointed by the Supreme Court to monitor parking policies in the city, has given a nod to the decision.
A total of 145-150 such parking lots are in the jurisdiction of the MCD and 53 are in NDMC area.
Though civic agencies have said the decision has been taken to encourage people to use public transport, residents fear that this will only worsen the already messy parking problem in the city.
Sunita Narain, an EPCA member, said, "We have received a letter from the joint secretary of Road Transport and Highway informing us that an amendment is being made in the present Central Motor Vehicles Act for increasing the penalty. A move is being initiated to clear amendments in the ongoing session of the Parliament."
She added that both the civic bodies have agreed to the final list approved by the ECA. While the surface parking space has been reduced, both MCD and NDMC are yet to start work on the proposed 14 multi-level parking lots.
"Earlier the parking lot used to cater to approximately 80,000 vehicles, but due to reduction in number, now we would have space for just 20,000 vehicles. But then the idea is to encourage use of public transport," said a senior MCD official.
The official said there are approximately 100 parking lots whose contracts are expiring in September.
Their contracts would not be renewed, he said.
: Finding space to park your car in the city is nothing short of a feat and it would very soon be a Herculean task. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC), responsible for manning parking lots in the city, have finalised the number of authorised parking lots in the city, in a meeting on Saturday.
The number has come down to 200 from 800 (both authorised and unauthorised parking lots).
Also, to "deter people from parking at unauthorised places", the present challan of Rs 100 is being increased to Rs 500 for first offence.
Motorists will have to shell out Rs 1,000 and 1,500 for subsequent violations.

The Environmental Pollution Prevention and Control Authority (EPCA), which was been appointed by the Supreme Court to monitor parking policies in the city, has given a nod to the decision.
A total of 145-150 such parking lots are in the jurisdiction of the MCD and 53 are in NDMC area.
Though civic agencies have said the decision has been taken to encourage people to use public transport, residents fear that this will only worsen the already messy parking problem in the city.
Sunita Narain, an EPCA member, said, "We have received a letter from the joint secretary of Road Transport and Highway informing us that an amendment is being made in the present Central Motor Vehicles Act for increasing the penalty. A move is being initiated to clear amendments in the ongoing session of the Parliament."
She added that both the civic bodies have agreed to the final list approved by the ECA. While the surface parking space has been reduced, both MCD and NDMC are yet to start work on the proposed 14 multi-level parking lots.
"Earlier the parking lot used to cater to approximately 80,000 vehicles, but due to reduction in number, now we would have space for just 20,000 vehicles. But then the idea is to encourage use of public transport," said a senior MCD official.
The official said there are approximately 100 parking lots whose contracts are expiring in September.
Their contracts would not be renewed, he said. "

If they want to encourage delhi-ites to use public transport they better develop public transport first! Leaving us no place to park is simply insane!
Its like america abolishing food because it wants its citizens to lose weight.
pradster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 11:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

One thing I;ve noticed is that the traffic police ALWAYS hands out a challan for copounded fine. How the hell can they prove that this is not your first offence? I guess there is no way for us to prove it either.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 13:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Damn! I can feel the no of cars growing rapidly in my locality!!

ppl actually fight if a another person's car/bike is in place of their car.

An aunty in my neighborhood deflates the tires of any bikes that stand in front of her house!! And its a pain for the owners to drag the bike to a puncture repair or to fill air!

Note from mod: Please do not use vulgar language on the forum

Last edited by tsk1979 : 4th August 2009 at 16:34. Reason: Do not use Foul language on the forum
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 14:25   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

A crazy aunty in my neighborhood deflates the tires of any bikes that stand in front of her house!!
(sry for the language!)
This has become a common site in almost all the colonies of Delhi.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 14:32   #5
BHPian

^ I agree! With the lack of foresight and almost no planning the civic agencies have already messed delhi up. Now they want us to go through this!

My office is in Nehru place and I know what a pain in the behind finding a decent space to park can be, I cant even imagine having all those parking areas de-recognised,well i guess my office will have to pay for the AC cabs that I will be hiring daily!
Old 4th August 2009, 14:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

If they had done this after improving public transport, it would have been laudable. But the govt believes in the cart before the horse.
Unless you are traveling near the metro line, you either hang out of a bus, or get fleeced by autos.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 14:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

IMO the parking problem is just not limited to delhi but to whole NCR.
Try getting a parking place on weekends in noida or gurgaon and you can easily waste 15-20 minutes circling the same area.

Till the time car pool concept is not taken fully by people prob will only increase.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 15:36   #8
BHPian

^ that might change to 3-4 hours if the authorities have their way!
maybe we'll have to find a parking spot the night before we plan to go to the place.
Old 6th August 2009, 21:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradster View Post
^ I agree! With the lack of foresight and almost no planning the civic agencies have already messed delhi up. Now they want us to go through this!

My office is in Nehru place and I know what a pain in the behind finding a decent space to park can be, I cant even imagine having all those parking areas de-recognised,well i guess my office will have to pay for the AC cabs that I will be hiring daily!

hey pradster, even I goto Nehru place daily, you can easily get parking in the open ground near to Intercontinental Hotel. If you wanna know the exact place, you can PM me. I've been parking my car there for last 20 days and it really cheap (10 Rs. )as compared to the parking right infront of Modi tower, who used to charge me 10 rs per hour and I used to give my car's keys also. And was always flooded with cars also.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 15:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
hey pradster, even I goto Nehru place daily, you can easily get parking in the open ground near to Intercontinental Hotel. If you wanna know the exact place, you can PM me. I've been parking my car there for last 20 days and it really cheap (10 Rs. )as compared to the parking right infront of Modi tower, who used to charge me 10 rs per hour and I used to give my car's keys also. And was always flooded with cars also.

I park my car now in that open ground close to the passport office. Its got plenty of space and its 10 bucks for the whole day ( whoohoo) BUT its dusty. But thats a small price to pay anyway.

What I am concerned about is, if this parking lot and the others are decomissioned, where will I park?
Old 10th August 2009, 16:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Though my company has a reserved parking slot in IFCI, still somehow if I won't find parking there parking beside BSES office is best for me @ 10/- for a day

OT: So many BHPians in Nehru Place, still haven't met each other. :(
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:22   #12
BHPian

@pradster
yeah, its got plenty of room, I reach my office at 12'noon and still I can park my car with ease & without any fuss.
I hope this parking lot is not closed, if that happens then its trouble time for me and many others. Authorities say that this move is to make people use public transport, but which transport they are talking about ? None is decent except for Delhi Metro, but what about jam-packed metro at peak times.

@asthedivx
ashish, you are right. So many of us at Nehru Place and still haven't met. Btw, we both missed the Delhi meat too.

Last edited by inferno : 10th August 2009 at 16:23.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
@asthedivx
ashish, you are right. So many of us at Nehru Place and still haven't met. Btw, we both missed the Delhi meat too.
Yes I do regret the same, but somehow couldn't catch up.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 16:25   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking LOL, get a clue man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Damn! I can feel the no of cars growing rapidly in my locality!!

An aunty in my neighborhood deflates the tires of any bikes that stand in front of her house!! And its a pain for the owners to drag the bike to a puncture repair or to fill air!

Note from mod: Please do not use vulgar language on the forum
My friend, you are saying that people should give up their space as a free parking? Delhi is overrun with unauthorized colonies where houses in like 100sqm have six tenants and each having a car or more.

Guess who gets harassed? Not the houseowner but the neighbors whose house front is abused.

And you get surprised when they react back violently? How would you feel if you had to fight for your own parking space every single day?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 17:14   #15
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Of all the things that showcase the pointlessness of governmental planning in our country, nothing is more blood-curdling than the complete absence of thought given to public transport. Strangely and almost dangerously, this issue is never discussed during elections. No party or leader has the gall to do something decisive and meaningful around this.

It is not difficult to put together the top three things that can be done to improve public transport in Delhi:

1. Only air-conditioned buses operated by a central authority (no bluelines, no non-ac low floor types...just run ac buses in cities like Delhi/Mumbai).

2. Plenty of air-conditioned taxies available for flagging (Radio cabs are too few, plus they need to be booked in advance)

3. Metered auto-rickshaws (Force autorickshaw drivers to use meters. Set up actual helplines where people can report an errant auto. Put errant drivers in jails for a few weeks. A few weeks/months of zero-tolerance drive against non-metered autos should be a good starting point)
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote