Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 19th August 2009, 01:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

wow sammyboy, my dad tells me the same tales!

My grandad got him a pair of levi's which he wore untill they didn't fit (several years), and they were still in great condition - no rips, nothing.

My 501's on the other hand lasted a measly 6 months and my father feels insulted
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 01:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah Anekho, infact the pair of Levis I mentioned (the Courdroys) was given to him by my Grand dad who got it from the US
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 02:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Have been wearing only 501s since the late nineties - ie once I could afford them on my own !

In the last decade I've bought around 8 501s. From Australia, UK, Singapore and India. I too will vouch for the fact that the one's bought abroad were significantly better. However, probably still not as good as some of your experiences with their 70s / 80s quality.

The first one I purchased lasted me around 6 years. It's still ok but the material has given away a bit at the knees and the rear. It could be due to rough usage also. I used to almost sleep in them.

I've also had the same experience as Samurai. Same sizes yet different fits.

I'll still keep buying 501s - since I'm used to them - but I'll ensure I always buy at a hefty discount (as I have done in the past).
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 07:41   #19
BHPian

Levis is doing equally bad all over the world, not just here

SEE here - BBC News | BUSINESS | Levi to cut jobs as profits fall

I thought Levi sold in other countries were also manufactured in third-world-countries, Bangladesh, IND, Pak, etc, so not sure why the difference in quality. I think they still make their classic lines in USNA probably.

I think there are many other brands that are equally good these days (like someone mentioned LEE above) they may not have the history that of Levi though.

I never wear jeans in India, unless i am in northern part of the country outback (in winters) and i have never stepped inside a Levi showroom, its just does not have the "class" because of their extra-shabby styling. In comparison, I find GAP slightly more acceptable, but then who wants to wear a T-shirt with GAP (or Levis) written all over you - its like being a billboard and advertising their brand for free

Last edited by aerohit : 19th August 2009 at 07:50.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 09:28   #20
BHPian

I dnt have any choice other than levis , but recently I got 2 Nautica's .. they are awesome !!

People try them !
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 09:44   #21
BANNED

Denims as such are not a very comfortable garment specially in the hot, humid climates in the North where summers range from 8-10 months in a year. Jeans are a Western concept, comfortable there & for them, do not suit our climate.
That said, in India most manufacturers are Teens oriented & one often doesn't find suitable sizes. My waist size is 38 & I can only find sizes in Levis in the budget range. Lee, Wrangler, etc. do not offer higher sizes in most fits.
In the higher range, Tommy does offer sizes but again their clothes supplied in India suffer in design & quality. Designs specially being pretty bad & bordering on "made for clowns"!
Guess, CK, etc are good but very expensive & a pair of jeans which are meant to be rough & tough, a workers garment, feels overshoot in the luxury range. I mean would one do a carpenters job or a household chore wearing a designer jeans!
Nautica is ok but again expensive & they haven't caliberated sizes for India. Also, heard they are packing up from India.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 09:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

The 34Wx30L size relaxed fit denims I bought in 2000-2003 in US still fit me well. Even now I get 34Wx30L or 35Wx30L relaxed fit pants from Amazon.com and they fit me well in every aspect.

But in India I have to buy 36 or even 38 waist size if I plan to sit down in those pants. And they are rarely comfortable. This applies to any brand, no just Levis. Whatever happened to the art of tailoring?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
I think they still make their classic lines in USNA probably.
So far I can recall, they have closed down all manufacturing units in the US.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:12   #24
BHPian

Here, Levis denims come in various price ranges and qualities. The most expensive ones are made in US. And they are of top notch quality. Then there are the made in India ones which are a lot more inexpensive than their "Made in US" counterparts. Then you get the ones which come with the "Made in Vietnam" or "Made in Bangaldesh" tags. These are really poor quality and sell real cheap.

I have one each of the "Made in US" & "Made in India" variety bought almost at the same time (shopping festival discounts). Its been around 2 yrs now. The US tagged one still goes strong without and problem. But the Indian one is showing signs of wear & tear already. The fabric has become thin due to regular usage and I'm sure that in a month's time, it will have holes in those areas. Time to go shopping again I guess.

I also picked up a couple of denims from Bossini and I must say, I have been pretty impressed by the fit and the fabric.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:18   #25
Team-BHP Support

Back in 1998-2000 Levis etc., used to be made from Arvind Denim. It used to be tough and hardy. Does Arvind denim still make fiber for Levis now?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
I have one each of the "Made in US" & "Made in India" variety bought almost at the same time (shopping festival discounts). Its been around 2 yrs now. The US tagged one still goes strong without and problem. But the Indian one is showing signs of wear & tear already.
Same case with me.

US tag jean bought in Pune 3 years back still going strong while Indian counterpart bought at Levis store on Brigade road Banglore last year showing its age.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Levis jeans available in India now is nowhere near the old ones in terms of quality. 2 jeans of mine is already torn near back pocket.

I had picked five 527s and a signature collection from US in 2007 still looks like brand new even today. I do not use any other brand other than Levis.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:38   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Here, Levis denims come in various price ranges and qualities. The most expensive ones are made in US. And they are of top notch quality. Then there are the made in India ones which are a lot more inexpensive than their "Made in US" counterparts. Then you get the ones which come with the "Made in Vietnam" or "Made in Bangaldesh" tags. These are really poor quality and sell real cheap.
What is the price difference approx ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Very recently bought a couple of their products. Defnitely not impressed with the quality. I don't see anything in them at all to justify the price. A product certainly isn't worth much if it just sports a fancy internation label which is all hollow in real.
OT, but during the recent IPL matches, my 9 year old son wanted a CSK jersey and pestered me to go to a nearby adidas store (or was it Reebok - I forget, both of them are situated side by side). His size was available but minus the cap, and the price was close to Rs 1000. I was irked, but just bought it calmly as I did not want to curb the child's enthusiasm. After all, we all understand peer pressure, don't we!

Just a few days back, he again wanted a foot ball jersey, I forget the team but with Beckam's name embossed. He kept at it till I again went to the store with him. To my relief it was not available and we got ready to leave. The little fellow was dancing around desperately trying to pick up something else, he did not want to leave empty handed! Then his eyes lit up as he saw a stack of caps, and he gleefully pulled out the CSK cap from among them and waved it at me. I took it from him and was shocked when I checked the price - Rs 999.95 ! I put it back, dragged my son back to the car and took him to a friendly neighborhood shop, where we bought a similar cap for Rs 60.00. I am convinced the price is not justified, however superior the material used may be. It is a simple cloth cap, after all. We are simply made to pay for the label.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
We are simply made to pay for the label.
TRUE.
For Levis, i paid thousands but for comparable quality local jean manufactured at Baramati by my friend for the brand kottenking/cottenking, i just paid rs 495 at counter.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote