Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th August 2009, 16:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Very scary indeed, but I would have refrained from using the Bl***y word in the title.

Sorry mods but had to react.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

I need to learn few lessons from your dad. If Nikhil was at home, I am sure a 'crying girl' would have opened the doors of sentiments and helping nature. Its infact scary, because we can never underestimate such gangs. Now how is the front grill going to help in such an incident ? If you are to open the door, you will defenitely open the grills too. Best part is having a window or a safer area where you can see the person outside face-to-face without having to open the door.

I am sure that gang is just learning the new trick. Once they fine-tune their drama, anyone would believe it for real and get into trouble.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
Nikhilb2008 What vehicle's do you drive? that may have tempted these as_ H-les to try to barge in like that??
Yes dont take the matter of that damn watchman lightly, looks like he is a watchman without a purpose!!
Well, we have one NHC Vtec, one Getz and one Santro. That's it. The house diagonally opposite ours(where they have hired the watchman) have 2 mercs, a couple of Innovas, an X trail and other stuff.

As I said earlier, I wouldnt blame the watchman. He is not really trained or armed to do anything. Of course in hindsight, he could have at least raised his voice, but I'm not sure if that would have served any prupose.

Of course, if he sat there without raising an alarm in case something worse happened, that would be stupid.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Always worth keeping a can of deodorising spray near the front door. Works wanders if sprayed in somones face if they try and force entry to your house.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Nikhil- Its good your family is sound and safe,
I disagree on the watchman part.
If he cant do anything then what is the use of keeping a watchman.We don't keep watchman so they stand and see us getting robbed,do we?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Gosh this is nerve wrecking.I know whole of Jayanagar and this definitly is a scary incident to happen in such a popular locality.
Your Dad's wiseness and presence of mind averted a major situation.
Lesson learnt.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:08   #22
BHPian

Yesterday night around 9.30 when i was returning from gym i stopped at a medical store to buy some stuff and all of a sudden i see 4,5 guys running just in front me. With in a few minutes a huge crowd gathered just few steps behind from where i was standing, Curious to know what happened i went there to see a guy beaten up badly by the public. With in few minutes cops arrived and the guy was taken to police station. Itseems that these guys tried to enter a house where a old couple were living and on seeing the strangers barging into the house the old couple started shouting and neighbours came out and caught that one guy who was drunk and the rest flew from the place. All this happened at Hanumanthnagar main road which is always crowded from morning till night and guess what all these guys are aged between 15-18yrs! The motive of these guys entering the house was unknown since the guy who was caught was immediately taken to police station and he was beaten so badly that he was bleeding and in no condition to talk.

Recently my dad lost 2000 bucks which was in his trousers that was hanged in his room, The thieves used a stick to pull the trouser out of the window. The window is in such a height that it is not possible for one person to reach out but still they managed. Be careful guys, Thieves are everywhere.
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:08   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
What!?! You think I'm superman or something that they waited for me to be away!?!?!
OT: May not be SuperMan, but you sure can belt a few!!!
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

This in Jayanagar? What would happen to areas that are isolated?

Your father's presence of mind was what saved your house from being robbed that night. Good thinking by him.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thats crazy man, glad to hear you everyone is safe. Really smart thing done by your dad.
Take care bro.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Oldest trick in the world. Damsel in distress.

Except that your father was smart enough not to feel like a knight in shining armour rather a man with pure common sense. But scary indeed. I doubt if your house was watched or anything. This must be the act of a few drunks trying to make something on their way back home.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:22   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Oldest trick in the world. Damsel in distress.

Except that your father was smart enough not to feel like a knight in shining armour rather a man with pure common sense. But scary indeed. I doubt if your house was watched or anything. This must be the act of a few drunks trying to make something on their way back home.
+1. Exactly my sentiments and very well put.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
... What!?! You think I'm superman or something that they waited for me to be away!?!?! ...
Wow! You do think high of yourself, don't you!

Father + mother + sister - brother (for the thieves) = one less resistance, and I reckon you are not a baby face that you will not be able to put up atleast some resistance.

In situations like these, the lesser the risk, the better for thieves.

But, as of now, all of us can say what all we want and do a "what if" analysis and come out with theories and none of these will make it any difference to your father and his presence of mind, which is the only thing that mattered!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Well, a similar thing happened near Villa Marie College, off Raj Bhawan Road a month ago---the flat owner on the 3rd floor opened the door at 11 pm to find a lady asking for water. He went into the kitchen to fetch a glass, and was shocked to find the lady had entered his drawing room and shut the front door.
She threatened to scream that he was molesting her, and at that very moment 2 more guys entered with a gun and knife.
They asked that guy to drive to the nearest ATM while the lady stayed behind. They robbed him of 10K or so and then returned home. The lady was watching TV comfortably. Luckily, he was not harmed.
The cops did not buy his story when he went to complain the next day---he did not do it immediately. Even the watchman had seen those crooks, but was scared to hell when they pointed a gun at him, so he confined himself to his room. Imagine the plight of that poor guy.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

The good thing here-nothing bad happened. The bad thing-Such a thing happening in Jayanagar (a supposedly safe locality)

I guess there may be another motive also. The girl was screaming at the top of her voice. What was she trying to do here? Trying to wake up the inhabitants of the house (along with the neighbours).

Didn't her screaming wake up the next door neighbours? Your dad could have probably called up the next door or any neighbour who could see your house from theirs (if you had their phone nos, that is) and assess the situation. Atleast you would have more witnesses.

Yep, I agree that the watchman could/would have done nothing. When this guy saw the auto, he would have hid himself in a safe place and watched the proceedings fearing for his life.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote