Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th August 2009, 22:07   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

the watchman could have called the police, he could have alerted other watchmen, he could have done anything rather than nothing.

In a recent murder case, near here, the murderer was overpowered by local watchmen and caretakers --- and the guy had a gun!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 00:29   #47
BHPian

This scary incident is really a lesson for all of us in Bangalore ... Hats off to your dad for his presence of mind .. Do take care bro ...
sam_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 07:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

bad news man nikhil.
maybe you should hire a security agency guard - a young chap armed with a lathi or cane. or the best protection is a good alsatian dog who will also be one of the family and a first class pet.
the only reason we live in a house is because of our dogs and they, frankly are the best possible deterrent to these would be burglars and miscreants.
end of the day, all miscreants are generally scared witless of large 4 legged furry fellows and would hesitate to try stunts in houses where dogs live.
be careful. unfortunately todays world is so bad one cannot trust anyone any more.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 07:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

Godspeed bro!

Dogs these days are being poisoned, it does not take much of a brain to devise that plan.

Few weeks back in the paper I read that the house of a high court judge or similar had been burgled THRICE. Even after they installed window grills etc. I cant remember whether he had already been given extra protection but surely he has been asking for it.

This was in Shantinagar btw.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 09:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

thats why the dogs should never be left "outside"
they should always be inside the house - with access to the outside of course but not permanently left in the compound or whatever.

thankfully my fellows are always in the house and any time they hear anything abnormal at night or in the day time they kick up so much havoc that only a complete dunderhead would try stunts.
in any case when all of them start barking at night I always get up to investigate. - several times Ive observed its only the police constables on their bicycle beat at 2am, 3am and the wee hours.

but like they say one can never be too careful.
god forbid anyone tries evil things like poisoning and so on.

In situations of severe stress of that kind I think any householder is within his rights in killing or otherwise maiming the burglars for life.

Theres a lot to be said for "knee-capping" the aggressor, the way the IRA do. Im not normally violent but in protection of one's own I think it is justified, dont you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Godspeed bro!

Dogs these days are being poisoned, it does not take much of a brain to devise that plan.

Few weeks back in the paper I read that the house of a high court judge or similar had been burgled THRICE. Even after they installed window grills etc. I cant remember whether he had already been given extra protection but surely he has been asking for it.

This was in Shantinagar btw.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:10   #51
Senior - BHPian

Scary to say the least. I would have opened the door if I were in your father's place.
I have not gone through the entire thread, but why in the first place your security guard let the girl in ? He himself could have called cops or residents for help.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:41   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

The security guard is not hired by us. He is hired by another house which is diagonally opposite ours. He has no link with us except for the fact that he is able to see our house easily.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:53   #53
BHPian

Firstly kudos to the presense of mind of your dad. It is natural to open the door first and think of the rest later. Thankfully that was not the case.

Secondly, I suggest you talk to the police ACP regarding this issue and highlight the fact that better response from them could have resulted in nabbing the culprits.
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:07   #54
BHPian

@Nikhilb2008: I totally agree with you. Pls go for the grills, even its just rented house. Talk to your owner. The grills would have stopped the girl/robbers in executing their plans. Your house with just open gate had allowed the girl to come close the door. Just check with other houses in your street, how many of them have grills. Why was only your house targetted?

robbers are getting innovative day by day and they know 1001 ways to trick people.

Thank God your family is safe. Your dad's presence of mind did all the work.

One more Auto drive menace: Recently in HSR Layout, three people in the auto stopped in front of an house next to car around 2-3Pm evening and started shouting at house tenant. The house had two floor, ground floor was used by the owner and the first floor used by tenant. The car belonged to first floor person who was at work and only wife at home.
The auto guys where shouting on top of their voice claiming that the car had hit and run their auto. They where claiming compensation for it. The goons literally made the lady cry, but the aged owner came to the rescue of lady. He said he will call the police to sort of this matter as he new the inspector personally. Just naming the police, the auto fellow started using abusive language on the owner and threatened him with dare consequences. They asked him to keep out of this matter. The owner was not surprised with the auto people behavior, he simple called the police they just arrived in no time. 2 people where caught and 1 managed to escape and you know what - "the car had been parked for three days" and the husband was using the office cab.

The wife (or anyone else) under pressure would have given out some money, but the elderly person sensed the plot (which comes only by experience), rescued and saved the day.
divx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 15:29   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Theres a lot to be said for "knee-capping" the aggressor, the way the IRA do. Im not normally violent but in protection of one's own I think it is justified, dont you?
Perhaps you might think that the Saudi Arabian system of capital punishment "works" --- but they excecute two people every week, so, obviously it doesn't.

A reign of terror by some gang or faction is just exchanging one crime for another.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 18:34   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller;1451474[I
A thirsty person doesn't climb to the 3rd floor...[/i]

I'm sure your dad sensed the girl as a fake for some reason.
Nikhil, could you please ask your dad what made him suspect that the girl was not genuine in her intentions? It would heighten our own suspicions when faced with a similar situation, such as the incident about asking for a glass of water at the door of a third floor flat.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 18:44   #57
BHPian

WOAH!I live in 4th block dude.I know where you live.**** that was scary.And 4th block was known for its safety till recently..Try locking your gate at night.Its not much but a drunk girl will make a lot of noise trying to climb a gate

Last edited by punterccrx8s : 27th August 2009 at 18:53.
punterccrx8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 18:48   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nikhil, could you please ask your dad what made him suspect that the girl was not genuine in her intentions? It would heighten our own suspicions when faced with a similar situation, such as the incident about asking for a glass of water at the door of a third floor flat.
Nothing. He and my mom were just wary. My mom was also hell bent on not opening the door. Even if my dad was not there, my mom wouldnt have opened the door. They didnt see anything suspicious or anything, but it is just stupid to open the door blindly. After the initial queries, she came to the window and when my dad smelt the alcohol, he decided he is not going to open the door.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 19:03   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
...when my dad smelt the alcohol...
Oh yes... I missed that on the first post of yours. The alcohol (that too, on a girl who claims to be Bengali - not often do I find Bong girls with alchol on their breath!!) would have raised his suspicion meter to sky-high - naturally. You had the advantage of the window next to the door, but for other folks, a grille gate apart from the main (wooden) door would probably go a long way to check this.

Point to note: An unannounced and unknown visitor with alcohol on his/her breath, with any story whatsoever, is not to be allowed open access to one's residence!
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 19:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Wow Nikhil, that was surely scary!
A few incidents that have happened in the past have really made me wonder where we as a society are heading.
Even in Mumbai, we live in a fairly safe area, most of the buildings have watchmen, and the police patrol the area in the nights. Even then, people still try their luck out here, though we have been lucky.
However, just to be extra sure that nothing should happen, we have watchmen in the building, 1-2 chaps sleeping in the house, our GSD (planning on another one infact), and grills.
I even want to go the additional mile and get CCTVs installed, so that in case something does happen, there will be a clear recording.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote