Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 27th August 2009, 19:45   #61
Senior - BHPian

Most of the intelligence is passed on by domestic help in and around ones house. That possibility cannot be ruled out. For e.g. when our building/society was targeted the theives knew exactly the houses to target. All the 3 houses were empty at that time. They had left for vacation and stuff. Guess what the burglaries happened on 3 consecutive nights.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 23:30   #62
BHPian

In Bangalore crime is increasing very fast. People must be know how bikers hitting the car intensenoly and robbing them. Advice is to always lock the door and drive.
Simple rule more money more crime.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 23:33   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
I think richest city in India is Mumbai, followed by Delhi and then Bangalore. So clearly, Mumbai has more money.
diabloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 23:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

^^ Na man ,if you are located or travelling in IT BT belt zone , the impression is like, IT BT ppl , full of cash . .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 00:44   #65
BHPian

1.Another different robbery on our vegetable vendor lady,
3 guys enter the vegetable shop and told the lady that they're opening a jewelry shop nearby and invited her to some pooja at their shop and left, After an hour she realized that her 4 gold bangles were handed over to them by her!

Guess how it happened?

THE GUYS HYPNOTIZED HER! I don't know how but she later realized that she gave them her bangles.
Proof: She told me and my mom.

2. Bicycle robbery

I was in the 7th standard, I parked my bike in the compound and went home, After 15 mins i came out and the cycle was gone! There were like 15kids playing on the street and no one saw anyone entering the house.
It was a red 18 speed ranger swing.

3. Thief trying to steal money from clothes hung inside:

Time 4Am, Mom woke up to the sound that the stick was making when the thief put a long customized stick with a hook through a window to rob clothes hung on the wall hanger.Mom got up and he disappeared without the stick

4. ICE robbery

An amp, speakers and other ICE devices worth 80k was robbed from my neighbor's cousin's swift parked in our basement, The thief gained entry through the rear door glass by breaking it without triggering the alarm.
an ACP stays in our apartment with his sarkari bolero with 'POLICE' written all over it and parked in the same basement!
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 02:18   #66
BHPian

This is a very unfortunate incident. We need to realize that this is one of the few that get reported here. There are several other incidents occurring on a daily basis in Bangalore.

I was just wondering a scenario where she was not intoxicated. This would've made decision making very difficult for your folks.

We should also consider a scenario where she was genuinely in need to help. How many families would come forward and help her?

I personally think it is difficult to trust anybody in such situations. The best way to deal maybe is to inform the police immediately. It is very difficult for an unsuspecting family to fight an armed assault by an intruder.

The unequipped, underpaid, primitive and mostly corrupt (no offense to anybody here) police force is not a match for the growing size and population of Bangalore.

Last edited by sushanthr77 : 28th August 2009 at 02:21.
sushanthr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 06:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Watchman did what his job title suggests.. Just watch the tamasha!! I have a feeling that watchman is actually a synonym for cleaner/parking attendant/handy man etc etc.. anything but actually watching over the house and taking care of security.

The least he could have done is note down the auto rickshaw's number (provided he is literate of course).
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:09   #68
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
1.Another different robbery on our vegetable vendor lady,
3 guys enter the vegetable shop and told the lady that they're opening a jewelry shop nearby and invited her to some pooja at their shop and left, After an hour she realized that her 4 gold bangles were handed over to them by her!

Guess how it happened?

THE GUYS HYPNOTIZED HER! I don't know how but she later realized that she gave them her bangles.
Proof: She told me and my mom.
Thats a nice list you have. The proof is credible. I think the robbers were either magicans or psychologist to have mastery over Hypnosis.
Quote:
2. Bicycle robbery

I was in the 7th standard, I parked my bike in the compound and went home, After 15 mins i came out and the cycle was gone! There were like 15kids playing on the street and no one saw anyone entering the house.
It was a red 18 speed ranger swing.
This job is definetely by the magician.
Quote:
3. Thief trying to steal money from clothes hung inside:

Time 4Am, Mom woke up to the sound that the stick was making when the thief put a long customized stick with a hook through a window to rob clothes hung on the wall hanger.Mom got up and he disappeared without the stick
Atleast this is from real robber.
Quote:
4. ICE robbery

An amp, speakers and other ICE devices worth 80k was robbed from my neighbor's cousin's swift parked in our basement, The thief gained entry through the rear door glass by breaking it without triggering the alarm.
an ACP stays in our apartment with his sarkari bolero with 'POLICE' written all over it and parked in the same basement!
Pity that the Bolero didn't take any action when the crime happened under its eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Watchman did what his job title suggests.. Just watch the tamasha!! I have a feeling that watchman is actually a synonym for cleaner/parking attendant/handy man etc etc.. anything but actually watching over the house and taking care of security.

The least he could have done is note down the auto rickshaw's number (provided he is literate of course).
Most of these watchmen are retired security personnel trying to earn extra income by doing the night job. Though not explicitly mentioned, his job is to raise alarm & be witness. You can't expect the old chap do much with little stick - hope that stick doesn't break.

Last edited by diabloo : 28th August 2009 at 15:11.
Old 28th August 2009, 15:26   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Thats a nice list you have. The proof is credible. I think the robbers were either magicans or psychologist to have mastery over Hypnosis.
This job is definetely by the magician.
I read about a similar incident in the papers recently (this week) that had a similar trick of hypnosis. A doctor and his wife lost their gold jewellery to a patient who supposedly hypnotized them and took away the valuables.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 15:47   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
I read about a similar incident in the papers recently (this week) that had a similar trick of hypnosis. A doctor and his wife lost their gold jewellery to a patient who supposedly hypnotized them and took away the valuables.
If it is indeed hypnosis then that type of hypnosis is called 'Self-Hypnosis' - that is believing that their gold will double under the cloth.
Old 28th August 2009, 16:03   #71
BHPian

Hey Nikhil,
quite scary event, that too in your absence! No wonder it has shaken up your family! Honestly speaking, I think your family has been lucky this time. Imagine the worst case scenario, if the girl/other 2 guys were armed, things could have taken a more dangerous turn! Thank God nothing serious happened!

Couple of suggestions though:
- Definitely put extra grills to enhance security of your house.
- Try to team up with other neighbours or residents of your area and get some night gaurds patroling your neighbourhood (say between 11pm and 5am).

2nd option is what we did when I first moved to R.T. Nagar. I used to frequently travel, leaving my wife and kid at home alone. Our neighbour had given the suggestion to us and then we requested all the houses in our lane to pool-in some money and hire 1 night gaurd to patrol around the lane whole night. Continued in this mode for quite some years, till I moved out to my new apartment.

Last edited by nnandi : 28th August 2009 at 16:06.
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:06   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Father + mother + sister - brother (for the thieves) = one less resistance, and I reckon you are not a baby face that you will not be able to put up atleast some resistance.
@nikhil, glad your family is safe and hats of to your dad for not 'falling for the girl'.

@Happywheels, i have a different opinion here. Its better not to give any resistance in case the thieves are after money / good only. We can always earn what was lost, except life.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 16:08   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Actually the rule is less money more crime.Thats how the racially deprived neighborhoods became hotbeds of al sorts of crime in the US.
PaglaGoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 19:54   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

It doesn't take hypnosis so much as conjuring.

I think the "give me your jewellery; here it is back" (except that it isn't) trick must be very old indeed. When I came on the scene, it was done under the pretence of cleaning the gold.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 16:41   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Another scary incident. Heard about it today. Happened to a person who lives next to the park(near Sathya Sai tourists/Jayanagar Telephone Exchange ).

Somewhat late in the night( around 10 or 11), the door bell is rung. House owner peeps through and sees a man who seems to be bleeding. This 'injured' person says that he is being chased by someone and got hit and he needs help.

The house owner takes a big fat stick and comes out and asks the injured guy to show him who the guy is. He just turns around to close the door and when he turns around, that guy is gone. (dont take this literally. Maybe the house owner went inside to get his footwear or something, but basically, the 'injured' guy is gone).

House owner calls up cops to inform them and they say, "Sir, that bleeding guy is only the thief. We're trying to catch him only for a long time. Be careful".

Luckily nothing is stolen and no one is hurt. Theory is that when the house owner came out armed, the robber must have realised that it would be foolish to try anything and fled.

Another trick people need to be aware of.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote