Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 26th August 2009, 16:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Bangalore - Scary robbery attempt at My Home

Sunday night. I'm not in town. I'm due to return at 5:30 am on Monday.

Mom, dad and sis are at home and they go to sleep at their normal times. At 12:45 am, someone rings the doorbell. Not just once, but like a dozen times! All three of them wake up with a start and come running to the door. They dont open it and my dad shouts through the door asking who it is.

They hear a girl on the other side. She's banging the door as if trying to break it down with her bare hands. She starts screaming saying, "Open the door! Open the door! Some Auto guy dropped me here and stole my mobile. He tried to rape me. Open the door! Open the door!"

My dad's first instinct was to open the door, but he didnt. He asked her who she was. She said she was some Chatterjee from West Bengal and she asked us to call her dad who was in WB. My dad asker her for the number but then she started shouting again asking us to open the door.

My dad came to the window(which is like 5 feet from the main door) and the girl also came there. Both my dad and sis could smell the alcohol on that girl. She was supposedly around 20-21 years old and reasonably well dressed but stinking of alcohol.

My dad finally decides that he better call the cops and he tells her to wait inside our gate while he calls the cops. She flees!

My dad did call the cops and tell them about this. They were, typically, disinterested. He game them the address and everything. Nothing happened after that. The girl had disappeared.

I reach home at 5:30 in the morning and was about to ring the bell when I decided to just call my mom and ask her to open the door. She opens it and says it's a very very good thing I didnt ring the bell. She then tells me the whole story.

We keep discussing this throughout the day. My dad and sister are feeling a little guilty because the girl might have really been in trouble.

Around 9:30pm, mom and dad pay a visit to an elderly couple living opposite our house and ask them if they heard anything. We thought they would have because this girl was shouting and screaming. My dad was also shouting. The couple says they didnt hear anything.

They ask the watchman who works at a house diagonally opposite to our house and he calmly says "Yes sir, I saw that girl come. I even heard Sir threaten to call the cops and everything". My mom asks him where she went.

He says when my dad started dialling the 100 number, she went into an auto where there were two other guys and all 3 of them fled.

On coming to know this, it became clear to us that this was clearly an attempt to gain entry to our house and rob us. All of us are quite freaked at this! This was no attempt to sneak in and rob us, but something much more brazen.

None of slept that night on knowing this.

And just to clarify, our house is not in some isolated locality or anything. It is ON the main road of Jayanagar 5th block. The house opposite ours is in Jayanagar 4th block. The road is a wide, main road. People who know Jayanagar will know Jayanagar Telephone exchange. Our house is about 300 metres from there. There is usually a bunch of cops standing at Jayanagar Telephone Exchange-Sathya Sai Tourists junction till about 12:00.

This is so scary. We're now thinking of getting some grills or something fitted to enhance security at our house.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:14   #2
BHPian

Lesson learned. Your father's common sense, saved the day for you. I would have for sure committed the blunder of opening the door for help.
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:15   #3
BHPian

Seriously freaky. It was great thought on your dad's part not to open the door. But its really suprising that they chose such a neighbourhood.

Last edited by unni.ak : 26th August 2009 at 16:17. Reason: English, damn.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow!

Talk about the guts these robbers have now a days, this sure beats it!

Thanks God for your fathers presence of mind!

And yes grill is definitely worth it in Bangalore!

Shucks, we have to put ourselves behind bars so that we are safe from such elements!!! What a life!!!

EDIT: Not to make a alarming assumption, but in that locality, at that time, especially with you not being there - Nikhil, please be more aware of your neighborhood. This just does not look like a random shot by those guys.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 26th August 2009 at 16:17.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's really very tough to take right decisions at that point of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
My dad's first instinct was to open the door, but he didn't ..............
My dad came to the window(which is like 5 feet from the main door) and the girl
Your dad had done a great job.. these days we really do not know to what extent a robber will go. see this though I suspect the real motive would be something different in this case
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Man, that could have been real nasty had it not been for your father's presence of mind! It seems to me that your house has been under observation for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They ask the watchman who works at a house diagonally opposite to our house and he calmly says "Yes sir, I saw that girl come. I even heard Sir threaten to call the cops and everything".
He was quietly sitting back & watching all this. You should have walloped the bugger! I suppose he'd have calmly sat back & watched the robbery (had it happened) as well?

Last edited by suman : 26th August 2009 at 16:20.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:17   #7
BHPian

This certainly is scary... I seriously appriciate your father for his smart thinking at such an hour... Glad that nothing bad happned. Take care
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Good thing that your dad kept his cool and that is exactly what helped in foiling their plans.

But, man reading it, really gave me the creeps.
Looks like something out of a movie.

Thanks god nothing happened.
Hope all people acts sensibly as your dad did in such situations.
yzfrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:21   #9
BHPian

If such things can happen in the heart of the city, then god save people who live in the out skirts of Bangalore. Looks like people are getting innovative. I guess it time we stack up few baseball bats next to the door and have it firmly in our hand before opening the door.

Coming back to the incident, hats off to your father for his presence of mind and not falling for the girl sentiment.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:23   #10
BHPian

Omigosh! scary, man!! What is becoming of Bangalore!!! Thanks for sharing, it would help us think twice before opening our door and getting into trouble.
deadguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This is indeed one scary experience! Full credit to your dad for remaining calm.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:32   #12
BHPian

Nikhilb2008 What vehicle's do you drive? that may have tempted these as_ H-les to try to barge in like that??
Yes dont take the matter of that damn watchman lightly, looks like he is a watchman without a purpose!!
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:32   #13
BHPian

Thieves getting more innovative day by day and we need to get even smarter to save ourselves.
neoranjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:37   #14
BHPian

OMG that was really scary, hats off to your dad for maintaining his cool and taking a sensible decision. Getting girls into these kind of things is a new thing in bangalore.
zazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 16:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Seriously freaky. It was great thought on your dad's part not to open the door. But its really suprising that they chose such a neighbourhood.
That is what surprised us as well! They chose our neighbourhood which is considered to be a realtively safe area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Holy cow!

Talk about the guts these robbers have now a days, this sure beats it!

Thanks God for your fathers presence of mind!

And yes grill is definitely worth it in Bangalore!

Shucks, we have to put ourselves behind bars so that we are safe from such elements!!! What a life!!!

EDIT: Not to make a alarming assumption, but in that locality, at that time, especially with you not being there - Nikhil, please be more aware of your neighborhood. This just does not look like a random shot by those guys.
What!?! You think I'm superman or something that they waited for me to be away!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Man, that could have been real nasty had it not been for your father's presence of mind! It seems to me that your house has been under observation for a while.

He was quietly sitting back & watching all this. You should have walloped the bugger! I suppose he'd have calmly sat back & watched the robbery (had it happened) as well?
It's scarier to think that we had been under observation. Man! That is scary!

That watchman cannot really be blamed. Think about it. He is not trained, not armed, nothing. What could he have done? Now, in hindsight we can say that at least if he had just shouted and asked them what they were doing, they may have fled, or maybe not!

I feel for the watchman even though he didnt do anything. He really cannot.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote