Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 2nd September 2009, 21:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Is our country geared up for a rapid action in case of a disaster

Today AP Chief Minister YSR along with his helicopter went missing @ 9.12 AM.

it is almost 12 hours now, still no trace

Our government machinary is unable trace a helicopter in 200 sq KM area even though it is 12 hours since the incidence

now i learn from TV that we have asked US help

Leaders are seen praying to GOD, Almightly, Alla that Mr. YSR is safe and sound.

All this raise a question in my mind. Are we geared for a rapid action in case of a disaster. similar response happened during the terrorist attack in mumbai, it is happening again.

when our rulers will learn ????

Last edited by StarVegabond : 2nd September 2009 at 21:11.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:36   #2
BHPian

Media says helicopter taken by YSR was not in a good condition, all signals were lost when the helicopter flew over forest area
Tried capturing some radio signals from Chittor/Chennai/Begumpet/Shamshabad and still no luck
Bhargava_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Star the actual reality is we are not prepared at all, incase of a disaster i think we have the option of "praying to god" only!

Our leaders(actually we dont have any) will wake up at the time of a event/disaster... mumabi attack is the best example...
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:43   #4
BHPian

Smile

i think the helicopter with YSR emergency landed and went missing, but the media hyped it so much that some terrorists or goondas saw it on tv and actually found and kidnapped them

Last edited by jassi : 2nd September 2009 at 21:53.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fearing the worse. But hopefully now if it is the worse the "leaders" will understand the plight every Indian has to go through everyday.

Until one of their own isn't at the receiving ends things wont change.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Very good discussion.

I was worried when government neglected common men when such incident happened. Now I am bit relaxed its same case for VIP too!!

Well done India, well done public!

One a serious note: I hope soon India will realise and start showing better course of action to handle such issues.

I am surprised to see important personalities do common mistake of driving vehicle without number plate or make accident under influance of alcohol, travelling in the chopper which is not renewed its license since 2 years!

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 2nd September 2009 at 22:32.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:46   #7
BHPian

I don't know why the haven't used a gps device in that helicopter,it would have been so easy to track the helicopter if there was a gps device in it.
splitsecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 22:51   #8
BHPian

Default Rumors Galore!

Hyderabad is flooded with rumors and rumors and rumors.

One version says YSR is history and it was accidental while another version says the helicopter was knocked down by a stinger missile recently acquired by naxals from the fleeing LTTE cadre.

There are some really adventurous rumor machines which says Ramalinga Raju of the defamed Satyam Computers has escaped from prison taking advantage of the security force vacuum because everyone is deployed to search for the missing VIP.

Well..coming back to the topic, our disaster preparedness has proven to be next to nothing. It simply doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitsecond View Post
I don't know why the haven't used a gps device in that helicopter,it would have been so easy to track the helicopter if there was a gps device in it.
Having a GPS device alone wouldn't help. They should also have a radio link to relay back the co-ordinates to some base station. But when the radio link itself has gone, the GPS would be of no use. Also unless they are embedded in a non-destructible and self running unit like a blackbox, it wouldn't help much in case of a crash

I'm guessing a black box must be present and its beacon signal must still be relaying in spite of being under thick tree cover. The question is whether we have the ability to detect those beacon signals and triangulate the position.

Its a pity and disgrace that we have to take help from US to find even a missing helicopter.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 2nd September 2009 at 23:10.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:10   #9
BHPian

I remember seeing one Journo telling in one of the news channel that they considered Google Earth to search for the missing chopper
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

All this raise a question in my mind. Are we geared for a rapid action in case of a disaster.
Rapid action? disaster?

watching too many movies saar? sab chalta hai. We will see when something happens.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:25   #11
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I remember seeing one Journo telling in one of the news channel that they considered Google Earth to search for the missing chopper
our most awesome breaking news channels, always on the cutting edge of technology
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:28   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me humbly suggest Bhuvan, government should use government developed technologies.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
lol, my friend said this on the phone; that he would get on his phone and use google maps . Anyways, as 26/11 showed..in a word, NO; sadly india is not ready for a disaster, man-made or otherwise :(.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Let me humbly suggest Bhuvan, government should use government developed technologies.
In its current state, they would have troubles finding the forest

But seriously, whatever their politics, and whether they are bigwigs or small, let us hope that the people in that helicopter are OK.

As far as the media is concerned, their job is open mouth, make noise --- so the rumours and the wild guesses and the maybes and the theories are going to flow endlessly. I just watched TV for a few minutes, and had to remind myself that this spouting is a phenomena of the age, not of this country; it would be the same in my mother country, and perhaps even worse in USA.

As to the preparedness of this country, again, we should not be too quick to judge. I don't think that any country finds it simple to locate a lost aircraft in a jungle.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2009, 00:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In its current state, they would have troubles finding the forest

But seriously, whatever their politics, and whether they are bigwigs or small, let us hope that the people in that helicopter are OK.

As far as the media is concerned, their job is open mouth, make noise --- so the rumours and the wild guesses and the maybes and the theories are going to flow endlessly. I just watched TV for a few minutes, and had to remind myself that this spouting is a phenomena of the age, not of this country; it would be the same in my mother country, and perhaps even worse in USA.

As to the preparedness of this country, again, we should not be too quick to judge. I don't think that any country finds it simple to locate a lost aircraft in a jungle.
Right now these are the possibilities

1. YSR is alive, but trapped somewhere in that damn forest with god knows what kind of injuries
2. The impact of the crash or the subsequent injuries has lead to his demise :(..God Rest His Soul
3. He's alive, but the Naxals somehow have managed to catch him and are gonna hold him now for ransom..
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote