Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 9th September 2009, 16:11   #1
BHPian

Default Just moved to Delhi

Hi Guys...
Have recently shifted to delhi as part of my new job.
As luck has it, i have no family or friends who stay here. Hence shifting has been a bit of a task.
I office is in Noida and Barakhamba road and I stay in Saket.
Could you guys direct me to some good places to eat have a drink etc after work. How to go about looking for good accomodation etc etc. Keep in mind i dont have a car and am using autos / taxis which i have learnt is not as easy as in bbay. Would love to meet my fellow teambhpians with similar interests ( read cars / bikes / food etc etc).

Thanks guys..

Nik
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 16:16   #2
Team-BHP Support

Welcome to the capital Nik.

Unless you are willing to shell out 15 bucks a km, commuting in Delhi is a lot tougher than B'Bay etc, especially for areas not covered by the metro. There is a meet being planned for this weekend where you may be able to meet some people.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1982 View Post
Hi Guys...
I office is in Noida and Barakhamba road and I stay in Saket.
Nik
I used to stay very near to Barakhamba road at KG Road. That was 11 years ago. Hope the place is as well kept as it was in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
commuting in Delhi is a lot tougher than B'Bay etc, especially for areas not covered by the metro. There is a meet being planned for this weekend where you may be able to meet some people.
@Eddy, what are the areas covered by the metro? Is there any website where i can get the route details. I will be in Delhi for a few days next week, and the info could be handy.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 19:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Here you go !

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (DMRC)
Old 9th September 2009, 21:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Welcome to the capital Nik.

Unless you are willing to shell out 15 bucks a km, commuting in Delhi is a lot tougher than B'Bay etc, especially for areas not covered by the metro. There is a meet being planned for this weekend where you may be able to meet some people.
Paying Rs.9.50/km for AC Acb (Quickcab) is also good option.
ajaydelhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 21:48   #6
BHPian

^^but getting the line is a tedious process. I believe the cars used are also not upto the mark. My choice is Meru, if not, Metro, if not, auto/rickshaw.
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 23:23   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaydelhi View Post
Paying Rs.9.50/km for AC Acb (Quickcab) is also good option.
Quick-cab does not go to Noida where nick's office is located. Plus the booking and confirmation process it not too trustworthy.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:28   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

NiK why not shift to Noida? The rentals here are at attractive prices and ur office will be close by too.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 07:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah. honestly, noida is an extremely good choice (cheap as hell too), and saket quite the opposite. When 85% of your time here will go in commuting - why o why?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys.. Plan on getting a car soon. So i guess will have to make do with the auto's for the time being, which is actually not to bad except for the whole delhi - noida issue which i just dont understand.
As far as staying in Noida is concerned no offence to anybody but staying in Noida is not an option prefer delhi any day. I also travle atleast once in ten days so i need to be closer to the airport, getting a ride from the airport to noida is a task from what i have experienced. Plus i dont have anything to come home to anyway so spending time commuting is fine, i get to learn different routes and it helps me learn more about the city.
nik1982 is offline   Reply With Quote