Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 11th July 2005, 21:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default what should you do when the car is at the workshop??

what are the things that should be taken car of when you leave your vehicle at the service station.

i have heard of brand new batteries being replaced with older ones,jacks being stolen,fuel ..... and what not.

so what you do when you leave your car at the workshop?????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2005, 22:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

i guesss if somene is that paranoid - better wait at the customer lounge and watch your car being serviced !! i think most of the dealers offer this nowadays at their workshops !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 01:17   #3
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Not much of a problem if you're giving it at Authorised dealership. They do take the inventory of the car..noting down the fuel, any accesories if present,kms reading & all that. But if you're giving it to your friendly neighbourhood mechanic, be rest assured, the first thing to go will be fuel. They always w/o fail steal fuel. When we had our 800, I used to give the car with very little fuel to counter this problem. About the battery getting stolen & all, in that case god be with you
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 11:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

hehe ,
my friend once had 2 jacks in his car after getting the vehicle serviced at a local garage in mulund.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hehe ,
my friend once had 2 jacks in his car after getting the vehicle serviced at a local garage in mulund.
Has he returned the jacks back to the garage?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 11:39   #6
BHPian

Nowdays most garages note down everything, whether they're authorised servicers for the car or not. Thing is, more and more people ask them to do it, so they've started doing it routinely anyways. But yes, if the car is in there for a longish while, do expect to be a bit short of fuel. The mechanics sometimes take the car out for 'test drives' where they pretty much push the car to its limit for about 7-10 minutes. There goes a bit of your precious petrol. Then there's here and there jobs, like running the enigne, lets say, to flush the engine and to get new oil put in and all. invariably a bit more petrol goes. Its these small things with which you lose petrol. I don't think that they'd siphon it out otherwise, unless they open the tank up. Don't most cars have a flap that prevents this from happening??

Just my 2c...

Cheers!!
Aveek
aveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 13:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nope, pretty easy to siphon petrol off. Stick a pipe down, and suck on it to create a vacuum.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2005, 15:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yeh, stealing petrol is a very common thing from what i've heard. As for prevention of theft of battery etc. You could take digital snaps of the engine bay, odo. reading etc. And then you'll have proof if a problem does arise. I think if you take the pictures in the presence of the mechanics, they'll be reluctant to mess around with the car unnecessarily knowing that you're not an idiot.
Deeps is online now   Reply With Quote