Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 10:13   #181
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
SamuraiSan is that Kabini River Lodge ??
Hey, not bad. You are right.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 13:07   #182
v&v
Senior - BHPian
 
v&v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,537
Thanked: 1,060 Times
Default

My first few night shots with my new EOS 1000d

First with 10 sec Tv and second 20 sec Tv. Iso both at 100.

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-a54-011.jpg

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-a54-014.jpg
v&v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 16:04   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default

What camera Deky?

for the 2nd query, manually focus the moon or the next brightest object in the sky and then recompose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Guys 2 questions regarding shooting movement of stars:-

1. My DSLR has only 30s as Minimum shutter speed plus bulb. So if i need to shoot stars say at 500 seconds I will have to put it on bulb and keep the button pressed and eventually get tired doing that. Or I could also buy a cable release. My question is, is there any way to click a 500s shot with out a cable and without getting tired?

2. I do not have infinity in my lens, so how do i focus on the stars. Putting the camera on manual focus doesnt help me much. what is the best way?

Thanks
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 20:59   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
What camera Deky?

for the 2nd query, manually focus the moon or the next brightest object in the sky and then recompose.
Thank you Sirjee, will try your suggestion the next time.

And I have a Sony Alpha 200

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:18   #185
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Tram - At Geneva....
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-tram.jpg  

tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:31   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Guys 2 questions regarding shooting movement of stars:-

1. My DSLR has only 30s as Minimum shutter speed plus bulb. So if i need to shoot stars say at 500 seconds I will have to put it on bulb and keep the button pressed and eventually get tired doing that. Or I could also buy a cable release. My question is, is there any way to click a 500s shot with out a cable and without getting tired?

2. I do not have infinity in my lens, so how do i focus on the stars. Putting the camera on manual focus doesnt help me much. what is the best way?

Thanks
You need to have the cable release to enable 500s shot as well as a timer handy. You will need such long exposure probably in astronomical photography.

But dont even try on a DSLR. The noise will really kill the photograph. Despite the best possible sensors and technology the noise accumulates over period of time and for such photographs, films are the best. That too very low ISO ones. Try getting an ISO 25 film in shops. You will know how dificult it is. If you are trying with DSLR, keep the ISO to very low and bulb exposure. Check out the noise levels and you will see first hand.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:32   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 336
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
the ignorant me always thought such photographs were photoshop'd images. didn't know you could get such pix with a still camera and of course oodles of talent. awesome stuff guys.
You dont need oodles of talent. Just very basic understanding of optics and a decentlt capable camera ( even P&S ) cameras with manual modes for you to experiment and above all interest in such a hobby.

Nainar
anainar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:01   #188
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

8sec F/4.5 ISO100 Olympus E-500 on Zuiko 50-200mm

The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-_a144211.jpg
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:31   #189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
8sec F/4.5 ISO100 Olympus E-500 on Zuiko 50-200mm

Attachment 202909
Super shot.... What is the light source?? Looks very powerful, like the ones we see during film shoots..
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:34   #190
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,854
Thanked: 15,413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
You need to have the cable release to enable 500s shot as well as a timer handy. You will need such long exposure probably in astronomical photography.

But dont even try on a DSLR. The noise will really kill the photograph. Despite the best possible sensors and technology the noise accumulates over period of time and for such photographs, films are the best. That too very low ISO ones. Try getting an ISO 25 film in shops. You will know how dificult it is. If you are trying with DSLR, keep the ISO to very low and bulb exposure. Check out the noise levels and you will see first hand.

Nainar
I have taken shots upto 1500s without noise really being a problem.
An alternate to cable release is the wireless remote for 350D, but cable release costs just 4-5 USD which comes to 200rs
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 23:51   #191
BHPian
 
abhisheksircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 374
Thanked: 638 Times
Default

Dockyard in Sidi Bou Said, Tunis

Name:  _MG_1161.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  100.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1139.JPG
Views: 775
Size:  104.0 KB
abhisheksircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 00:31   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 755
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Doesn't require any introduction....
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Theme Photography Thread: Festival Spirit-eiffel_tree_upload.jpg  

tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 10:55   #193
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,045
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Super shot.... What is the light source?? Looks very powerful, like the ones we see during film shoots..
Thanks, the light source is mercury vapour street lamp. However, it didn't look like this in real. I played with the levels to enchance the rays.

Very nice angle with the Eiffel tower.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:07   #194
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,854
Thanked: 15,413 Times
Default Another technique.. For star tails

Good to see this theme being so popular.
Now I will touch upon another technique for star trails
When you have city lights very bright a very long exposure will blow the city lights.
So you put in the remote shutter release, set shutter time to 30 seconds, and put camera on continuous drive
So you can have hundreds of 30s pics which you stack in programs like startrails,exe, and simulate a long exposure.
For example this shot.
Look at the low noise. Its due to 30s exposure
Name:  269265193_ApvjFL.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  111.0 KB
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:14   #195
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stratos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mumbai, IN
Posts: 2,591
Thanked: 1,208 Times
Default

Shot at 4:00am in the morning. The car was not visible to the normal eye. It is completely lit in moonlight. A 30 second exposure. F/4.5, ISO200

Toyota Corolla by the Golden Gate Bridge:
Attached Images
 
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments & Suggestions: Team-BHP's Theme Track (WIP) 00nuts001 Shifting gears 7 20th June 2013 20:29
Ferrari theme park building complete - Aldar Bumblebee86 The International Automotive Scene 25 19th December 2012 22:14
Suggestions needed for Nainital Trip (Romantic Theme). SilkDrive Route / Travel Queries 6 16th September 2010 16:21
Common theme to new Suzuki small car designs elfhelm The Indian Car Scene 36 2nd July 2009 18:28
The Chevrolet Theme mp3 devarshi84 Shifting gears 0 16th February 2006 22:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks