Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 22:30   #1
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Exclamation Advice needed On setting Up a car / bike Workshop!

Hi Guys,

I Am In the Process of getting a Petrol Pump alloted in Delhi, within a couple of months hopefully if i we get through all the Red tape quick enough!! Now The dillema that i Face is that i have been advised by a couple of old experienced Dealers in Delhi that considering the site location and the size of the site it would be a wise decission to set up a workshop there, Here lies the problem!!!

Firstly - I have next to know idea as to the intricacies of working of cars.
The little knowledge that i have gained about cars is through this amazing forum! Hence the Obvious question, Is there any short term car mechanic diploma course that i could maybe undergo in delhi to get a hang of the ropes??? I would really appreciate it if i could be pointed in the right direction.

Secondly- I would like you guys to suggest as to what sort of equipment would be absolutely necessary in a Small Setup. I have researched a bit and for starters have thought up of correct me if i am wrong-
1. Wheel alignment and balancing machine
2. Injector cleaning machine
3. Engine decarb machine
4. A/c Gas charging machine
5. Small Scissor Lift
6. car washing facility

If you guys could plz let me know if there is anything else i should be looking at also.

Also i have No clue watsoever as to where i get trustworthy mechanics and whether they are any good, So i am as of now clueless on basically everything.

Points to consider-
1.The location has been 90% finalized and i wont be paying rent as such as its a lease between the Oil co. and NDMC so i would not be paying anything towards rent

2. have never done this sort of a thing Before and hence i am in 2 minds whether to go ahead or not.

3. What sort of Initial Cost of investment would i be looking at to set it up??

# Most Important question of all guys i would like to know whether most car owners would prefer to go to such small setups in petrol Pumps, because honestly I as a car owner till date I have never gone to one or thought of going to one

So would it be advisable to do this or should i scrap this idea and think of something else???

GUYS Advice, suggestions opinions etc etc are more than welcome considering i dont know much myself so feel free to contribute.

Regards
Mayank
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 00:37   #2
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: in a Toyota!
Posts: 2,686
Thanked: 592 Times
Default

hi Mayank,

well i would advice you to start your PP (petrol pump) and run it atleast for 6-12 months and set it up nicely and bring it up to a profit making PP and then think about setting up a workshop next to it.

i would say get a tyre dealership and a quick lube corner (oil change). because workshops come with headaches you dont want to have!

there are plenty of car owners who dont go to the A.S.S. for oil change and small mechanical problems, and go to local corner side mechanic. you can easily tap these customers.

i would suggest dont get into bigger mechanical workshop, rather go for smaller easy to do jobs.

car wash with properly trained staff will attract good amount of customers.

mind you retaining a good professional staff is a problem these days because the labour/mechanic will go for a better paid salary anyday!

pay good salary and get good professional guys! remember for peanuts only monkeys will come!

if your location is good, that also makes a good selling point for a business!

so dont get into what you dont know about, for the moment!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 00:43   #3
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Parm is somewhat right,
you can start some good store to provide unique services which people can avail along fuel.
There are tons of ideas which can prosper along a petrol pump, a mini shopping store, Tyre shop, meal outlet etc are just few to start counting.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 02:30   #4
BHPian
 
Manas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 70
Thanked: 8 Times
Default for the workshop

One important item you missed out was a 4 Post lift.
A good car-wash is incomplete without a proper under-body decleansing too..

Go for a reputed 4 poster :
ATS Elgi is an example. This company supplies to all Maruti workshops pan india.. their office is in delhi itself.

Add some customer-pulling stuff to your workshop's portfolio : engine-room degreasing, car-body waxing (therefore, account for a waxing machine)..

You'd need an air compressor to run the waxing guns, 4 Post lift etc..
(the lift's locking pin are disengaged using pneumatic pressure)

Probably have a mini-paint booth : to do minor dent-damage repair... You'd need to order a heating lamp & couple of air brushes..

these steps might help you set a foothold for the workshop overtime... Later, when you find the right talent, go for a full throttle repair workshop... Poaching good mechanics from other service centers/ similar workshops is a starting point.. But for that, you'd need time to survey, i guess..
Manas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 11:40   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 321
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Mayank,
I would go along with Parm's suggestion that you do not get into workshop till the next 6-12 months. Take a step at a time. Think of stabilizing the PP operations. One of My dad's friends used to own a bunk & from what I hear from him, it is quite a handful task to operate the PP.
Alternatively, you can consider constructing the structure in such a way that along with the PP
1. Have a shop & rent it out to a bank for ATM. (Approx rent generated can be in the range of 20K - 50K depending on location)
2. Have a large space to rent to a coffee shop like CCD. (Approx rent generated can be in the range of 50K - 75K depending on location)
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:38   #6
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
hi Mayank,

i would say get a tyre dealership and a quick lube corner (oil change). because workshops come with headaches you dont want to have!

there are plenty of car owners who dont go to the A.S.S. for oil change and small mechanical problems, and go to local corner side mechanic. you can easily tap these customers.

i would suggest dont get into bigger mechanical workshop, rather go for smaller easy to do jobs.

car wash with properly trained staff will attract good amount of customers.

mind you retaining a good professional staff is a problem these days because the labour/mechanic will go for a better paid salary anyday!

pay good salary and get good professional guys! remember for peanuts only monkeys will come!

if your location is good, that also makes a good selling point for a business!

so dont get into what you dont know about, for the moment!
Exactly what i was thinking also! I planned to start it after the pump is up and running. Also I had a small setup in mind just as You suggested looking into small jobs as i would have roughly 300 sq yds space for the workshop.

Sir the location is a gem if Its finallized Its in south Delhi located close to the embassies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Parm is somewhat right,
you can start some good store to provide unique services which people can avail along fuel.
There are tons of ideas which can prosper along a petrol pump, a mini shopping store, Tyre shop, meal outlet etc are just few to start counting.
Even i had intially thought up off a convenio sort of a thing like in BPCL
however HPCL do not encourage this!! Dunno why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas View Post
One important item you missed out was a 4 Post lift.
A good car-wash is incomplete without a proper under-body decleansing too..

Go for a reputed 4 poster :
ATS Elgi is an example. This company supplies to all Maruti workshops pan india.. their office is in delhi itself.

Add some customer-pulling stuff to your workshop's portfolio : engine-room degreasing, car-body waxing (therefore, account for a waxing machine)..

You'd need an air compressor to run the waxing guns, 4 Post lift etc..
(the lift's locking pin are disengaged using pneumatic pressure)

Probably have a mini-paint booth : to do minor dent-damage repair... You'd need to order a heating lamp & couple of air brushes..

these steps might help you set a foothold for the workshop overtime... Later, when you find the right talent, go for a full throttle repair workshop... Poaching good mechanics from other service centers/ similar workshops is a starting point.. But for that, you'd need time to survey, i guess..
Thanks a tonne for the suggestions Manas, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Mayank,
1. Have a shop & rent it out to a bank for ATM. (Approx rent generated can be in the range of 20K - 50K depending on location)
2. Have a large space to rent to a coffee shop like CCD. (Approx rent generated can be in the range of 50K - 75K depending on location)
Malgudi the issue is that the Land is leased By NDMC to the oil co. and the oil co. pays the lease rent hence even if i manage to open any other extra services Oil Co, pockets the Rent with me getting close to aprox 10-20% of the rent monthly. Checked with another Pump in the vicinity he has 2 ATM's and the rent is approx a lakh a month

One question remains What would be the cost involved in setting up a small workshop??

The other issue is that am 24 and have no bussiness experience an am a novice to all this hence the apprehensions and doubts regarding the viability of the deccission.

once again gentleman thanks for your Advise

Regards
Mayank
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:43   #7
BHPian
 
pranava999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 820
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

A tyre shop, ICE and accessories, car detailing and car wash services.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 14:59   #8
BHPian
 
suren181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 847
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

The Mobil Oil Co. have been looking for tie-ups with Garages who could provide quick services for Cars similar in line with the Castrol Bike Zones.

If I were you I would give this a thought. They I was told provide the expertise and would be able to guide you to an extent as to what sort of infrastructure you would be looking for as well as what sort of manforce. You could take it from thereon since you would have by then gained experience in the line and also felt the pulse of the market in your locality.
suren181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:33   #9
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

I would suggest you to get going with a petrol pump first, and a car wash...
I have seen an automatic car wash in Bangalore ( its imported/assembled by a company in hyd), and it takes hardly 15 mins to wash a car with shampoo.. vaccum it and wax it ... They charge abt 300/- for this. U can try something like this, because when someone comes to fill fuel, he would not have much time to spare, and an easy car wash is something interesting to get done quickly and off to work

I would prefer such a setup and being a car owner, i would like to go to a filling station which has this kind of service and offers it fast ! This might give you repeat customers and help u build ur brand and then help u move up to a full blown workshop !!
In my estimation, i think the automatic car wash setup would cost atleast 40 to 42lakhs, and it has water recycler i believe (coz i saw all the water getting collected into a tank).. so recurring costs of water shud be lesser for you in this case..

my 2 cents
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 19:49   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,567
Thanked: 80,362 Times
Default

A ton of useful information in this thread (Can dealerships survive wafer thin profit margins?) too, make sure to read it.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 22:28   #11
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
A tyre shop, ICE and accessories, car detailing and car wash services.
Well thats my second option if i decide not to go along with the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
The Mobil Oil Co. have been looking for tie-ups with Garages who could provide quick services for Cars similar in line with the Castrol Bike Zones.
That is a better idea. How does this work? Who would i need to get in touch with at delhi? should i drop them an email or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I would suggest you to get going with a petrol pump first, and a car wash...
I have seen an automatic car wash in Bangalore ( its imported/assembled by a company in hyd), and it takes hardly 15 mins to wash a car with shampoo..
I would prefer such a setup and being a car owner, i would like to go to a filling station which has this kind of service and offers it fast ! This might give you repeat customers and help u build ur brand and then help u move up to a full blown workshop !! ..

my 2 cents
I had thought of this initially but the huge initial cost of setting up a automated car wash coupled with the fact that a pump 2 kms down the road has an automated car wash sort of put me off this idea


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
if its in embassy area, then you can always have the embassy drivers on your payrole to come to your place and get things fixed for little incentives and commissions for them!
Thats exactly what some else has also suggested and have to sort of develop contacts for this.

Once again gentlemen thank you for taking time out to give your valuable suggestions
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 15:21   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 277 Times
Default

Mayank, as Parm said first settle with PP and then venture into other stuff.

Delhi lacks on Professional Car Detailers, which includes rubbing, waxing stuff etc. Parm is into this field and has a wonderful knowledge. I would suggest thinking of this option as Quality is scarce in Delhi and a venture well developed shall be well received.

Moreover, as Tyre Dealerships were mentioned by Parm; it's a wonderful field but only put your feet in if you have good knowledge.

Car Accessories such as ICE, Sun Films, Alloys etc. have Limited good people in Delhi and has good potential if you're able to provide the quality at competitive prices.

All the Best.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 18:57   #13
BHPian
 
dr chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 94
Thanked: Once
Default

i can't let you know how to set up a pp ,but if and once you set it up,do let me know i'll bring my car for a wash.or maybe fill up the car
dr chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 20:19   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 382
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

I agree with Pram, start with Car wash and detailing thing, less investment, get the feel of the business segment. All the best Mayank, hope TBhp guys will get a good discount there!
gaddiwale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 13:28   #15
BHPian
 
Born 2 Be Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: DILLI
Posts: 375
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Mayank, as Parm said first settle with PP and then venture into other stuff.
Yes sir even i have now thought of jus setting up the Pump and then in about an years time think of other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr chill View Post
i can't let you know how to set up a pp ,but if and once you set it up,do let me know i'll bring my car for a wash.or maybe fill up the car
That Makes 2 of us even i am confused as to how i go about setting up the pump . You are more than welcome to drop by any time once its up an running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
All the best Mayank, hope TBhp guys will get a good discount there!
Thank you for the wishes and offcourse T Bhpians are most welcome
and sure will get a discount wen i set up the peripheral bussiness.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike mod workshop in noida? naturaldisaster Motorbikes 0 10th January 2009 16:11
Setting the Air Fuel Ratio on a bike? lancer_mania Motorbikes 20 19th April 2007 15:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:48.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks