Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 00:08   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,455
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Mr Obama and his PR team certainly know how to manage his public image. These publicly visible actions are always suggested by PR advisors and do not necessarily mean anything. I think the American people who voted him to power are beginning to get restless with his speeches and are expecting some action on the ground.
Sorry for giving a slightly skeptical view on the "apparently" nice gesture. Mr Obama's lighting up the lamp for Diwali will not make too many Americans - black or white - love the "Bangalore" guys who take away their jobs.
Buddy, what you have pointed out is very valid & don't worry, nothing sceptical about it. People need to wake up to all the ridiculous PR tricks, marketing strategies & image building exercises which are rampantly expanding operations since the media boom.
And I am not just pointing out to this particular news.
Jayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 18:45   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 21,895 Times
Default

For what its worth :



cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 20:24   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

I brought Gulab Jamuns, punjabi mix and ratlami sev at work today, printed out wiki on diwalli and placed it with the things in pantry.

I doubt I would have done that if Obama didn't bring it into mainstream with his act.

on a side note, the snacks are hot even for my taste, wish I had brought a milder version . Still people are liking it.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 22:01   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 478
Thanked: 110 Times
Default :))

Politicians are all the same! Black white yellow orange etc etc ! . just means there is a vote bank. No reason to get all excited about it I would say!
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 22:52   #20
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

I'm surprised by the incredible naivety of people who hail this as "America maturing" or "acknowledging India's global dominance" etc. The fact is that Obama is motivated by political expediency. He also hosted a Ramadan dinner recently, and will probably celebrate Kwanzaa and Hanukkah as well. What of it?
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 09:47   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 913 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I'm surprised by the incredible naivety of people who hail this as "America maturing" or "acknowledging India's global dominance" etc.
You don't see the election of a black as President as a sign of America maturing? What's it got to do with political expediency? It is a huge change in the average American's mindset to enable that to happen.

The Indian community has long participated in US elections by way of fund raising efforts. If Obama chooses to send a message to the community by celebrating Diwali and you fail to see its significance ask some Indian Americans what it feels like to have their culture acknowledged officially. A symbolic gesture it may be but for the million plus Indians who make the US their home it will mean a lot. And mind you we have Indians living there since the 19th century and never ever were they acknowledged in this way by the White House. So it is a huge change in mindset that a man elected by the people of America opts to officially acknowledge the customs and traditions of a community fast becoming a significant part of America

An Indian friend of Obama was given the Ambassadorship to Belize, political expediency? perhaps but is that Indian gentleman complaining? Heck no !

Politics worldover is about symbolism. You may call it expediency but that is the essence of politics, to represent a view, a mindset. That it may be for personal gain is a moot point.

In my opinion if Obama chooses to acknowledge the Indian community or for that matter any other it only reflects the changing face of America which finally is acknowledging that the US no longer is a white nation (which it never was in any case - although the senate barely reflected that !)

Last edited by DKG : 20th October 2009 at 09:49.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 09:54   #22
BHPian
 
anoopap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 55
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
The fact is that Obama is motivated by political expediency.
You said it !

Cant expediency be sign of maturity ?
anoopap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:15   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You don't see the election of a black as President as a sign of America maturing? What's it got to do with political expediency? It is a huge change in the average American's mindset to enable that to happen.
For those who don't know, majority of americans did not vote for Obama ONLY because they think he is a muslim. An old aged voter said it on radio and after being corrected, she coolly said " I am sorry but that's what I have heard", translation " I don't care what you say".

I thought it only happened in India. If Obama eventually got elected, I do think it's an accomplishment for USA. Yes, they have matured. And rather than treating us as "rest of the world", if he is acknowledging our cultural identity, that's a big change too. All political moves have a motive behind them, but that doesn't take away the credit from a good move.

I would also like to emphasize that most politicians in USA get into politics for making connections and serving people (surprised?). The money that comes with politics and attracts criminals in India does not exist (to that extent) in US. politicians are sent to jail for crimes involving 5000 USD if they are caught, which is pocket change to an MLA in rural india. Ever fancied getting an MLA thrown in jail for a 2.5L bribe? or having resigned because he was listed on a prostitute's cellphone? If they find a better job, they actually quit politics and join that. However it's true that those jobs come because of connections, but it's still not as bad as in india.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:32   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

To the doubting Thomas's, the least you can concede is that Obama took the trouble of getting all the pronunciations right. No amount of PR massage can make a person pronounce "foreign" words correctly.. Just ask W.. (That would be pronunced Dubya).


Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
An Indian friend of Obama was given the Ambassadorship to Belize, political expediency? perhaps but is that Indian gentleman complaining? Heck no !
OT: I would. Complain, that is. Unless I am really desperate, Belize does not sound like a promotion .

Last edited by spadival : 20th October 2009 at 19:38.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 20:01   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
For those who don't know, majority of americans did not vote for Obama ONLY because they think he is a muslim. An old aged voter said it on radio and after being corrected, she coolly said " I am sorry but that's what I have heard", translation " I don't care what you say".

I thought it only happened in India. If Obama eventually got elected, I do think it's an accomplishment for USA. Yes, they have matured. And rather than treating us as "rest of the world", if he is acknowledging our cultural identity, that's a big change too. All political moves have a motive behind them, but that doesn't take away the credit from a good move.

I would also like to emphasize that most politicians in USA get into politics for making connections and serving people (surprised?). The money that comes with politics and attracts criminals in India does not exist (to that extent) in US. politicians are sent to jail for crimes involving 5000 USD if they are caught, which is pocket change to an MLA in rural india. Ever fancied getting an MLA thrown in jail for a 2.5L bribe? or having resigned because he was listed on a prostitute's cellphone? If they find a better job, they actually quit politics and join that. However it's true that those jobs come because of connections, but it's still not as bad as in india.
exactly, indeed the vast majority of politicians in india are real crooks :(
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 22:18   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 913 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Belize does not sound like a promotion .
An Indian representing the US anywhere is something ! At the very least it should be a lovely holiday posting

BTW the gentleman wasn't into active politics, more a roommate/classmate of Obama who actively campaigned within the Indian community. This must be Obama's way of saying thank you
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 23:09   #27
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
You don't see the election of a black as President as a sign of America maturing? What's it got to do with political expediency?
Who's talking about Obama's race here? Let's not diverge from the issue at hand. I was merely addressing the contention put forth by the original poster that Obama's celebrating Diwali is a sign of America's "maturity". The vast majority of Americans couldn't care two hoots if Diwali is celebrated or not. (Actually, neither do I, but that's beside the point.)

Obama's gesture isn't any more mature than some political leaders in the UK hailing the Sharia as a robust, efficient system of justice. It's political expediency, plain and simple. In other words, it's called being politically correct. Leaders today can't afford to be plainspoken like Winston Churchill or General MacArthur.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 02:06   #28
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 832
Thanked: 527 Times
Default

First of all O'bama is not my (our) president, he is their president, and his job is to serve his own people, trust me, not indians, so I wouldnt care what a president of some country did on a particular day, considering that he was asked to do it under pressure from refugees of Indian origin.

I dont even know why this is a news. If president of Kenya or Argentina did the same would you have made hoohaa about it? No. Why? Because it is not your fault, your mentality is built on caste system and social hierarchy. Media (like TOI) are party to be blamed, for brain washing the public.

It seems, poor and neglected indians are always waiting for someone to love them, just like an orphan. It makes them so yappy, happy, sappy heeee hurrah. Like Puppets.

No, I am not against the story, but it does indicate that the people of this country do not have enough self confidence to stand up on their own, somewhat.

You know why? Because you ignored the rest of the world, and its importance. And now, they leave you behind when you need them most. You are left alone, unable to differentiate between friend or foe, since independence you have been back-stabbed by your so called friends leaving you blind.

Once again, one word - Puppets.

Its all Business guys. Gestures, soundbites, its all business.



Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

Delhi is getting "disoriented when making decisions" because it harbored a notion that the US was viewing India as a counterweight to China. Delhi was also becoming susceptible to the US stratagem to "woo India away from Russia and China and, in the meantime, feeding India's ambition to match China force by force by its ever burgeoning arms sales to India".

Last edited by aerohit : 21st October 2009 at 02:13.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 02:27   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Dude,

I can understand you have a lot of anger. But I can't figure out who you are angry at. America? China? Delhi? people of this country (india)? media? kenya? Argentina?

or let me ask the other way round, are you happy with any of these?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 07:23   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
so I wouldnt care what a president of some country did on a particular day, considering that he was asked to do it under pressure from refugees of Indian origin.
Woah.. Are you just incapable of completing a sentence without insulting large sections of the human population?

FYI, I didn't bother reading the rest of your rather long drivel.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama's new Tax plans DriverR Shifting gears 14 12th May 2009 17:18
Diwali robbery - thief makes hay when the diwali lights shine - NOW RECOVERED!! jassi Shifting gears 98 4th October 2008 23:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks