Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 13th February 2017, 11:48   #1741
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can't resist sharing one before and one after photograph. The before picture is of mid November. The after pic is of 5th February.
Excellent transformation Bhai. Hats off to you. Why don't you add some exercise as well? It, no doubt, will take your fitness to a new level. Congratulations.
Piyadassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2017, 11:55   #1742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I marinate the chicken using curd, papaya, ginger & garlic paste, add a bit of salt, no oil. Keep it in fridge and cook 2/3 pieces in oven whenever I am hungry. Hope I am doing it right.

Any method to marinate fish?
I don't marinate anything. Instead I depend on the cooking temperature and a meat thermometer for keeping proteins soft and tender.

Especially with fish.
Check out my sweetie helping me cook my favorite fish:
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 20:15   #1743
BHPian

Does anyone have per-day or per-week weight loss data while on LCHF diet? It will be useful for newbies like me, to set realistic expectations.
vinodh_eee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2017, 20:50   #1744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Does anyone have per-day or per-week weight loss data while on LCHF diet? It will be useful for newbies like me, to set realistic expectations.
Buddy, every persons metabolism rate is different. I would suggest don't compare data of others with yours. Just go with the diet and maintain your own data. Comparing with someones sheet can be demoralising if your don't see the results. Also LCHF will have to be done with some moderate exercise.

Best of Luck.
KaandBaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:08   #1745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
This is where I stand as of yesterday.
Start:Weight 108.85 Kgs and Waist 46 cms as on 26 January 2017
This is where I stand today

Height: 175 cms
Start:Weight 108.85 Kgs and Waist 46 inches as on 26 January 2017
Weight 102.9 Kgs and Waist 44 inches as on 16 February 2017

Lost 5.95 KGs in three weeks. Actually I have been hovering around 103 Kgs for a week now.

Diet has been mostly LCHF. Some dark chocolate occasionally. Go out swimming with the kids at least twice a week, but not much exercise as I have to be with the little one, who is still learning.

Cheated on two occasions -
1. Saturday when the wife made appam and coconut chicken curry and called over one of my mates for breakfast.
Same day when another family visited, had 3 rotis with beef roast and chicken curry for dinner. Topped with some CONNOISSEUR cookies and cream dessert. Gained 300 grams only.
2. This Tuesday I was in Adelaide for work and was in an awesome place for lunch, had a Beef shoulder pie. No regrets, gained about 200 grams only.

Now getting back to a proper LCHF diet again, want to beat the stagnation and get down to a 2 digit weight.

For the first time in my life, I am happy to be on a diet and can actually see my weight reducing. Thanks every one for this great thread. Special thanks to Viju.

Last edited by Samurai : 16th February 2017 at 10:48. Reason: avoid alcohol mention
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:55   #1746
Team-BHP Support

Great progress. Keeping in mind you don't have to be very strict. Cheating isn't even a concept here. If you deviate from LCHF, it will slow or stop the weight loss for couple days. And then you can get back on the diet.

The only reason we all are able sustain LCHF is because it doesn't involve starving or giving up all tasty food.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:42   #1747
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
My advice is just weigh yourself at the beginning and do LCHF for a month. As Samurai suggested, it doesn't even have to be particularly strict in terms of caloric input (meaning you may actually consume more calories on some days but ensure they are protein/fat-derived and not from carbs). Even reducing carbs (say limit yourself to 4 small chapatis a day, no rice, no sugar, no processed products/sweets) will make you drop weight in teh first month.

Quote:
This is where I stand today

Height: 175 cms
Start:Weight 108.85 Kgs and Waist 46 cms as on 26 January 2017
Weight 102.9 Kgs and Waist 44 cms as on 16 February 2017
Congrats on the weight loss but surely you mean 44 inches? 44 cm is like 18 inches
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:46   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats on the weight loss but surely you mean 44 inches? 44 cm is like 18 inches
Yes you are absolutely right. Time to edit is long gone.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:17   #1749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes you are absolutely right. Time to edit is long gone.
That's ok, so long as you are not targeting an unrealistic number

Personally I find waist measurement a much better indicator that a diet/lifestyle is working for me than standing on a scale. I have pants that span the range 34"-40" and currently am somewhere in between! True joy will be once I break 34 which hasn't happened since college days.

Especially once you start putting on muscle mass, weighing on a daily/weekly basis can be disheartening. Much better to aspire to fit into slim fit pants instead!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 19:51   #1750
BHPian

Inspired by this thread, I have restarted my Keto / LCHF journey. My last stint with Keto lasted about 2 weeks in 2015 but couldn't continue as a little one joined.
I am currently 99 - 100 ish with a 38" waist. Started LCHF last Friday.
Changes noticed - The sense of bloating has gone and I feel much better already.

Question - Are nuts allowed? I typically snack on peanuts during day time.
Also - are beetroots OK? According to the this site, they mention this to be OK but there are many other places where they have mentioned to avoid this altogether.
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 21:42   #1751
BHPian

Hello all,
I thought I'd wait till I've made some substantial progress in my Keto journey but here I am.

So this is what I was on 20 Jan 2017:
Height: 178 cms
Start:Weight: 91.0 Kgs and Waist 36.5 inches

One month down the line: 20 February
Weight: 88 Kgs and Waist 36 inches (infact a shade under 36)
The scale hasn't moved one bit the last one week or so.

It's a steady progress, but I can feel my clothes fitting loosely especially pants.
The debilitating headaches from 4th day on really made me consider quitting keto, they were unbearable and I could hardly concentrate on work. I had to rely on pain killers to get some relief. No amounts of chicken broth or salt seemed to help.
It's only the last week onwards that these headaches have subsided. But I loved that I was no longer bloated, or felt like I'm going to nod off in the afternoon that kept me going.

Also for a guy that hates to cook, this is quite a commitment I've got myself into.
For foods I rely mainly on these items:
Meat: Eggs, Chicken, Salmon, mackeral, any other fish (don't consume beef or pork but might try some just to have some variety in my diet)
Carbs: Mainly leafy salads like lettuce, chard, spinach, etc
Fat: Ghee, Butter, Mayo, hard cheese (lots), double cream (love it).
For recipes, this guy has been a god send. YouTube link.

I really miss having breads, so once a week I consume some protein roll (bread) with dollops of butter.

I have started lifting weights for 3 days a week after the initial 2 weeks in keto.
Also, to ensure tracking macros correctly, I log in all my food in myfitnesspal. It's really helped me, though it's been a few days wherein my carb intake has been around 40-50 gms.

I am hoping to continue this keto journey as I believe this is a lifestyle change and I doubt I'd be able to go back to my old ways of eating. I might take a break once my family joins me in April for a couple of months but then I will be super vigilant about portion sizes.

Cheers

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 27th February 2017 at 21:46.
hiren.mistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 03:59   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

While I am avoiding packaged foods still and will continue to do so, is adding cornflour allowed in any food item?

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2017 at 08:11. Reason: Typo fixed
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 08:10   #1753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I am avoiding packaged foods still and will continue to do so, is adding cornflour allowed in any food item?
Corn is one of the biggest reasons for obesity as a health hazard in the modern times. Definitely worth avoiding.

Another point: Coming down is always very good. But its the maintenance which matters and which defines the lifestyle you will have to choose to lead.

Hence please be aware of what is the right plateau which you need to hold on to. That will define the daily diets. If reduction is not based on any unrealistic diets and is on regular day to day lifestyle (after the perceived changes), the plateau is more sustainable over years to come.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 10:41   #1754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Inspired by this thread, I have restarted my Keto / LCHF journey. My last stint with Keto lasted about 2 weeks in 2015 but couldn't continue as a little one joined.
Question - Are nuts allowed? I typically snack on peanuts during day time.
Also - are beetroots OK? According to the
Keto is lot harder to sustain than LCHF, since the latter involves no fasting. Keto requires lot more discipline.

In LCHF, there is nothing like allowed or disallowed, it is not strict like Keto. Keto is basically the extreme form of LCHF.

Want to eat nuts, eat it. Just keep it in moderation. This is a good site to figure out how much carb damage you get from different food items.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 14:46   #1755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a good site to figure out how much carb damage you get from different food items.
Thank you Samurai. This is really good info for me.
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote