Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2017, 19:21   #1771
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 552
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

It is all quite confusing now. I wouldn't call myself a fat person. I am 5'6" and weigh about 64 kg. But I am quite prone to add weight if I don't watch what I eat. This is the reason I am subscribed to this thread.

Off late it seems LCHF is the buzzword in the discussions. I was thinking of altering food habits as per LCHF and now Landcruiser shows us a video where the nutritionist tells exactly opposite of LCHF. Avoid, meat, fish, poultry, milk etc. and go completely vegan by eating grains, lentils etc. to minimize the risk of stroke. I am not a non-vegetarian person so while implementing LCHF, I would have surely faced difficulties but after looking at the video, an element of doubt has crept in.

Experts how do you justify LCHF if it is going to increase the risk of stroke?
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 22:23   #1772
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: BLR, KA, IND
Posts: 824
Thanked: 1,054 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Stop blaming meat, curd and fats like ghee/oil/cheese.
I've left them behind for good and I agree to your point. (Except for rare occasions and temptations)

It's a combination of factors that causes spike in weight, I feel that leaving these items makes me feel much better with respect to my eating.

Quote:
Once I started LCHF diet, I eat two eggs for breakfast...
Isn't that too much cholesterol?
landcruiser123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 22:43   #1773
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 863
Thanked: 791 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post



Isn't that too much cholesterol?
He follows LCHF. It pretty much throws all conventional wisdom about fat, cholesterol and weight loss out of the window.

The surprising part is it works!!
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 22:44   #1774
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
It is all quite confusing now. I wouldn't call myself a fat person. I am 5'6" and weigh about 64 kg. But I am quite prone to add weight if I don't watch what I eat. This is the reason I am subscribed to this thread.

Off late it seems LCHF is the buzzword in the discussions. I was thinking of altering food habits as per LCHF and now Landcruiser shows us a video where the nutritionist tells exactly opposite of LCHF. Avoid, meat, fish, poultry, milk etc. and go completely vegan by eating grains, lentils etc. to minimize the risk of stroke. I am not a non-vegetarian person so while implementing LCHF, I would have surely faced difficulties but after looking at the video, an element of doubt has crept in.

Experts how do you justify LCHF if it is going to increase the risk of stroke?
There are no experts in the field of nutrition / diet and general eating. All so called experts are self styled or pseudo-scientists.

Humans beings are adaptable eaters and that is why we have survived across the geographies and the climates.

Do you know any other species (I am talking about pre-historic times, not today) which was spread from Alaska to Polynesia?
From the North Pole to the Equator?

Some people are not prone to adding fat, while some people add fat even if they smell tasty food. Everyone is different with respect to getting fat. I am sure people don't crib all the time about someone's else's heights and looks (assuming you are past the teenage). Accept one's limits and work accordingly.

On the point about Highcarb vs LCHF - I can show people from both the factions who are fat, as well as show people from both the sides who look like Adonis. People from both the sides who have a healthy heart.

Can you explain why you think LCHF will promote stroke?
In fact what causes stroke?

I read a few misplaced comments about cholesterol. Blood Cholestrols are chemical produces BY THE LIVER (because the liver is reacting to something else happening in the body).
Dietary intake of cholestrol has no significant and long lasting bearing on it.

###

The premise behind "success" of LCHF is: LCHF causes less wide fluctuations in your blood sugar and insulin, thus causing you to eat only when, and, as much as your body truly requires rather than what you brain desires.

This is the same story with the "success" of intermittent fasting.

Honestly, come to think of it: if you carry significant fat, why should your body actually require additional food, it should actually burn that fat off first and then you should start feeling hungry. The reason is that you feel hungry because hunger is primary a "desire" rather than "need".
Addiction to food = addiction to taste and addiction to sugars.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th March 2017 at 22:50.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 22:46   #1775
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 863
Thanked: 791 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
He follows LCHF. It pretty much throws all conventional wisdom about fat, cholesterol and weight loss out of the window.

The surprising part is it works!!
I can speak from my experience. I have never felt better than when I was following LCHF and my cholesterol content also actually came down.

I have in the past done conventional dieting too. But none came close to the success I got from LCHF.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 00:35   #1776
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,495 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I was thinking of altering food habits as per LCHF and now Landcruiser shows us a video where the nutritionist tells exactly opposite of LCHF. Avoid, meat, fish, poultry, milk etc. and go completely vegan by eating grains, lentils etc. to minimize the risk of stroke.
Experts how do you justify LCHF if it is going to increase the risk of stroke?
Just because he is a doctor, doesn't mean he can't be selling snake oil. Dr.Deepak Chopra and Dr.Oz have been exposed thoroughly for peddling pseudo-science. It looks more like he is justifying a lifestyle (vegan) than giving scientific explanation. His diet too is low carb, and low oil too. Lots of meat eating communities have lived long without heart disease. LCHF became popular because it is very effective, the reasons are well understood (finally), and easy to stay on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Isn't that too much cholesterol?
The cholesterol you eat is not the same cholesterol that causes heart attack. Similarly, the fat you eat is not the fat you gain. The carbs you eat becomes fat, not edible fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Honestly, come to think of it: if you carry significant fat, why should your body actually require additional food, it should actually burn that fat off first and then you should start feeling hungry. The reason is that you feel hungry because hunger is primary a "desire" rather than "need".
Addiction to food = addiction to taste and addiction to sugars.
Actually Gary Taubes book addresses this guilt/sin factor extensively. People don't get fat because they eat a lot. Instead, people eat a lot because they are fat. This is because of the metabolism of the body. When people they eat carbs (which breaks down very fast unlike proteins), some gets converted to energy for the muscles, and a small amount get stored in the liver, and rest goes into the fat cells. The exact distribution differs from person to person. In a person where most go into the muscles, that person will be highly energetic, in order to burn it off. In a person where most go into the fat cells, that person's muscles will be still starved of energy, and he remains lethargic and wants more food to keep the energy up.

Let's take a crude arithmetic example. Let's say your muscles need 50 units of energy everyday for a given level of activity. And let's further say your body sends 80% of the energy from the carb you eat into your muscles, and the rest to liver (10%) and fat cells (10%). You only need to eat carb food with 62.5 units of energy, to reach your 50 units for the muscles. You are the typical thin guy who remains thin all your life.

Now let's consider your friend, whose body sends only 25% of the energy from the carb he eats to the muscles, and the rest to liver (10%) and fat cells (65%). This person needs to eat carb food with 200 units of energy, to reach his 50 units for the muscles. This is your average fat guy who is always overeating to meet his 50 units energy needs, while 130 units ends up as fat.

Protein consumption helps curb this madness because it releases energy slowly, so the muscles can use it as it trickles down.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 11:15   #1777
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,466
Thanked: 692 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Excess Carbs convert to fat, OK. What does excess fat convert to ?

I think the doctor in the above video was not selling snake oil. He was showing the results in people who followed his advice. Not everyone needs to follow what he is saying.

Here is one more study for weight loss that compares cardio vs weights for weight loss

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/06/he...ner/index.html
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 11:22   #1778
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,626
Thanked: 9,099 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Read this very interesting article on whether going pure vegan actually benefits humanity, as its advocates claim:
Quote:
The researchers considered the vegan diet, two vegetarian diets (one that includes dairy, the other dairy and eggs), four omnivorous diets (with varying degrees of vegetarian influence), one low in fats and sugars, and one akin to the modern American dietary pattern.
Based on their models, the vegan diet would feed fewer people than two of the vegetarian and two of the four omnivorous diets studied. The bottom line: Going cold turkey on animal-based products may not actually be the most sustainable long choice for humanity in the long term.
Leading to the very sensible conclusion:
Quote:
The study says striving for plant-based diets (with a little bit of meat on the side, at most) is the way towards environmental efficiency (in other words, using land more sustainably to produce more food).
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 13:46   #1779
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 328
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Day 12 on LCHF.
When I checked by BP, noticed that It had come down from 130 ish to 115.
And weight is at 96.1, down from 100.
All this without starving myself.
glenmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 16:40   #1780
BHPian
 
techcoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 121
Thanked: 159 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Day 12 on LCHF.
When I checked by BP, noticed that It had come down from 130 ish to 115.
And weight is at 96.1, down from 100.
All this without starving myself.
That's good progress!!
Initially weight loss will be rapid due to initial body water loss. Later it will slow down a bit
techcoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 04:51   #1781
BHPian
 
basilmabraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SYD Downsouth
Posts: 754
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Initially weight loss will be rapid due to initial body water loss. Later it will slow down a bit
I am in that phase now. Weight is stagnant at around 102Kg, down from 108+. I have not been as strict with the LCHF as the first few weeks, that could also be a reason. Anyway, it is all good as I never remained starving all through this while.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 08:45   #1782
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,519
Thanked: 7,195 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Is there a LCHF diet plan for someone who does not cook meat at home?

I'm looking to test this diet plan for a week or fortnight to see the results before continuing

Any links would also help. Thanks in advance
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 09:40   #1783
BHPian
 
avingodb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi/Mumbai
Posts: 441
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is there a LCHF diet plan for someone who does not cook meat at home?
Million Dollar Question. A LCHF for the travelling souls too?
avingodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 11:33   #1784
BHPian
 
basilmabraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SYD Downsouth
Posts: 754
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Any links would also help. Thanks in advance
Not my cup of tea as I have always been a meat cooker/eater.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/ has many vegetarian dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Million Dollar Question. A LCHF for the travelling souls too?
Avoid anything that has carb in it. Not the easiest thing to do.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2017, 11:56   #1785
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Million Dollar Question. A LCHF for the travelling souls too?
Eat lots of nuts...like a traveling circus monkey

I am struggling with the No Carb high fat diet...however, Low Carb seems easier and a bit more helpful. I have however substituted Atta and Rice with Millets and Jowar/Bajra etc. And I try and do the carbs at breakfast, and ease up through the day with lighter food.

I have also added Sourdough whole wheat bread with peanut butter. Couple slices earlier in the day.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats the weight of your wheel-tyre combo?? Shan2nu Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 30 11th October 2012 15:21
Flywheel Weight Reduction / Lightened Flywheels kpzen Technical Stuff 38 2nd February 2008 15:07
UNSPRUNG WEIGHT - and its effects kb100 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 12 26th March 2007 15:52
For Sale: Enkei 17" Light Weight Performance Rims autopsyche Shifting gears 0 26th July 2006 23:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks