Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 30th April 2017, 17:37   #1831
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

I started the LCHF diet a couple of weeks ago. Will share my experiences in a few weeks for sure. I am seeing a change on the weighing scale and it is very motivating. While, I am able to make it through the day my energy levels at the gym are pathetic. I try to go to the gym 4 times a week. I have had to give up cardio completely, and light/moderate weight training now leaves me feeling terribly exhausted. I am wondering how to tackle this?
I started reading online that a fat burner pill early in the morning is hepful. Most of the fat burner reviews on health kart, spoke about supplementing a LCHF diet with a fat burner pill (for the kick) coupled with an intensive workout including cardio. Guys, any thoughts?
For now, planning to have a banana before hitting the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
promit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 18:06   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I started the LCHF diet a couple of weeks ago. Will share my experiences in a few weeks for sure. I am seeing a change on the weighing scale and it is very motivating. While, I am able to make it through the day my energy levels at the gym are pathetic.
You HAVE to increase your natural protein levels to extremely high levels to ensure you cover the carb deficit in the gym.

A protein shake will also help tremendously (along with an apple in it for fibre and to keep you going with a fuller stomach).

When I undertook the LC (no carbs or fat), I was on 20 egg whites a day, atleast 300 gms of chicken if I remember right (10 years back), and half a litre of curd/yoghurt. Also had 2 servings of protein shakes with an apple in it.

However I was pushing it in the Gym for a ripped physique.

I would however recommend you consult a nutritionist so you don't go by hearsay on things like this.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 18:53   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I have had to give up cardio completely, and light/moderate weight training now leaves me feeling terribly exhausted. I am wondering how to tackle this?
I started reading online that a fat burner pill early in the morning is hepful. Guys, any thoughts?
For now, planning to have a banana before hitting the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Try increasing your fat intake to at least 100g a day. You have not mentioned the time you have been on lchf and the food in take so not sure if the minimum requirement is being met. And what is it that you are aiming to in terms of food intake. From what I've read, our body takes 2-3 weeks to become fat adapted. So if you're in that period then maybe wait a few more days before taking any pills.

I've been on lchf for two months and been working out using bodyweight exercises, oriented towards strength training. My experience has been that post workout recovery has been better than before as in I don't feel overly tired or exhausted. I'm able to make it through the day and then do some more after a long day at work. It may very well be that the exercise intensity could be higher in your case. Although some days I don't feel like working out in the morning but then I persist and it's fine after that.

If having a banana helps then do so but then it is a high carb fruit and can quickly fill up your daily carb quota.

Last edited by lordvader : 1st May 2017 at 19:08.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 14:44   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You HAVE to increase your natural protein levels to extremely high levels to ensure you cover the carb deficit in the gym.
There is a difference between what you suggest and what LCHF is.
Low CARB, high FAT.
Proteins have to be normal like 20-30% of your diet.
High protein ultimately ends up getting converted to sugar, raising insulin and thus making this special diet a waste.

Your approach is more of a bodybuilder's approach to cutting, where you strip off progressively: sugar, refined flours, fats, carbs, salt etc. While upping the proteins.

The LCHF premise is that fat doesn't raise insulin. So consume as much fat as you can. Limit carbs because they raise insulin. Maintain low-normal proteins because they also raise insulin.

This will reduce the baseline insulin over time. Which in turn will make the body cells more sensitive to insulin.
Which in turn will allow the muscles to absorb more nutrients (like sugar, amino acids etc) when available.

Most "fat" people do not really require food to survive (they have plenty fat stored - a mechanism which has evolved to take care of famine situations) - but they still feel hungry all the time. This is because their body is used to so much insulin sloshing around that the cells are get resistant to insulin and cannot maintain intake of nutrients even though one has a steady diet.

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th May 2017 at 14:55.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote