Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 3rd February 2012, 18:18   #256
BHPian

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Can someone fill up this calorie chart.

Calorie intake:

Breakfast- 1cup of Oats and 1 apple and 1 Guava.
Lunch- 3 chapathis with Green leaves gravy.
Evening- 2 Marie biscuits and 1 cup of tea(1.5 tsp of sugar)
Dinner- 1 cup of oatmeat or 2 chapathis.

Calorie outflow:

45 mins of brisk walk
30 mins of exercycle.

I am planning to start with this. Is this schedule right?
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:26   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

Calorie outflow:

45 mins of brisk walk
30 mins of exercycle.

I am planning to start with this. Is this schedule right?
Dont know too much about this, but what I do know is that you'll need to provide your weight and height to calculate how many calories you lose while walking/cycling
Recompose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:51   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Or use Sacharin or Aspartame or Sucralose.

I use Sweetex tablets (Sacharin) or Abott Sacharin tablets.
I'd advise to stay away from Saccharin/Aspartame and use Sucralose instead. I use SugarFree Natura(sucralose) in powder form.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:28   #259
Senior - BHPian

Personally I think if you are not a diabetic, the risk of artificial sweeteners far outweigh the benefits. I would rather stick to natural sugar and burn it out.

Off topic, while researching these chemicals, I noticed this. found it funny. Lucky for him he was not asked to test cyanide.

source: wikipedia

Quote:
Sucralose was discovered in 1976 by scientists from Tate & Lyle, working with researchers Leslie Hough and Shashikant Phadnis at Queen Elizabeth College (now part of King's College London).[3] While researching ways to use sucrose as a chemical intermediate in non-traditional areas, Phadnis was told to test a chlorinated sugar compound. Phadnis thought that Hough asked him to taste it, so he did.[3] He found the compound to be exceptionally sweet.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:58   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'd advise to stay away from Saccharin/Aspartame and use Sucralose instead. I use SugarFree Natura(sucralose) in powder form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Personally I think if you are not a diabetic, the risk of artificial sweeteners far outweigh the benefits. I would rather stick to natural sugar and burn it out.
Saccharin has been in use for more than 100 years. That's why I use it - any side effects would have been discovered by now.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:04   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I think if you want to continue consuming sugar, you will need to live in the gym to burn out all that you consume, it very easy to add on and very difficult to burn calories. Not as easy as one thinks. Better to stay away from sugar if you want to loose weight.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 3rd February 2012 at 21:07.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 17:38   #262
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This one is apt:
Name:  178.gif
Views: 404
Size:  13.8 KB
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 18:10   #263
Team-BHP Support

Removing all sugar from your diet is not reccomended since it causes cravings. My dietician is OK with one cup of sugared tea a day (in the mid-afternoon with a light snack like khakra or Marie biscuit). I am completely against artificial sweeteners- for one, aspartame tastes like crap and moreover it has some health risks of its own (I am extremely wary of introducing new chemicals into my body).

Plus there are times when you need a sugar kick for instant energy: the preferred route of course is the natural one, through fruits like the humble banana. I eat one every morning before heading for my workout.

PS>>Have been slackening up big time on the diet front lately- only hope it doesn't undo all the good work of the last 2 months!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 19:37   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Removing all sugar from your diet is not reccomended since it causes cravings. My dietician is OK with one cup of sugared tea a day (in the mid-afternoon with a light snack like khakra or Marie biscuit).
Biscuits (and may be Khakra also) are maida - the first thing to avoid in any diet to lose weight is anything which has maida. Maida is like pure sugar.
Quote:
I am completely against artificial sweeteners- for one, aspartame tastes like crap and moreover it has some health risks of its own (I am extremely wary of introducing new chemicals into my body).
If you don't like aspartame - try sacharin - it's been used for more than 100 years. All risks are known.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:19   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. I am completely against artificial sweeteners- for one, aspartame tastes like crap and moreover it has some health risks of its own (I am extremely wary of introducing new chemicals into my body).
+1.

Why add an extra chemical when one can simply get used to sugarless tea and coffee. In fact I prefer my coffee without sugar and just a tablespoon of milk in it.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 22:33   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Biscuits (and may be Khakra also) are maida - the first thing to avoid in any diet to lose weight is anything which has maida. Maida is like pure sugar.
True. But I am talking about 1 khakra and 3 Marie biscuits per day here. Everything is relative: this is from a guy who would polish off almost an entire 12 inch pepperoni pizza by himself

Quote:
If you don't like aspartame - try sacharin - it's been used for more than 100 years. All risks are known.
My Dad, a diabetic, used saccharine from the time I was a kid and I can still remember that taste on my tongue (what can I say? I was a curious kid!) No thanks! Sugarless tea grows on you: add a bit of lime in it if you want a different taste!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 23:37   #267
Senior - BHPian

Have anyone successfully tried and persisted with the GM diet or the South Beach diet here? If they have, please can you let us know the results.

Please do not bash me for going on a crash diet, but I want to have some immediate restraint. I know that many will be against crash diets and fasting and that fasting is not advisable long term. I have tried long term diets but the craving outweighs the diet. Slow restraints are not working for me.

I am more in for the GM diet as I feel that I won't survive the first 2 weeks of the South Beach diet, where as the GM diet would be over in just 1 week. I am 5' 7'' weighing 78kgs.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 23:46   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
where as the GM diet would be over in just 1 week.
Do you mean that all you have to do is follow this diet for one week only.
What happens after that week. Do you become lighter by a couple of kilos and they don't come back.

Please don't take offense, I am not pulling your leg. But to lose weight and remain in a healthy weight zone will need a life long commitment.

Any weight you lose by means of a constrained diet will come back with a vengeance as soon as you return to your normal food.

Idea is to change your normal food into healthy food.

But its easier said than done.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 10:26   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you mean that all you have to do is follow this diet for one week only.
Yeah its a 1 week diet program... with some specific content for each of the 7 days....the few kgs you drop come back again for sure if you go pedal to metal on your eating after the diet.

But my observation is that this a very good detox methodology and the biggest + for me is that it really really cuts down your appetite within a week.

It takes me almost 3wks to come back to my original appetite level. So what this diet does for me is simple -
1. It detoxes my entire system for a week
2. Slows me down on the hogging (but i eat everything during the 3wks)
3. Indirectly makes me pull down some weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Have anyone successfully tried and persisted with the GM diet or the South Beach diet here? If they have, please can you let us know the results..
I have done this in the past...it helps for sure, but the number of kgs you pull down depends on your current eating habits and how strictly you follow the diet.

My suggestion would be to do GM diet every 4th wk and eat what you like for 3 wks so this for 3-4 cycles and then just control yourself on the quantity (cravings) because your stomach will demand much lower quantity of food...you would be a changed man!

PS - The max i have been able to do is 2 & 1/2 cycles but that itself helped a lot!! about 5-7kgs
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 10:41   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

Calorie intake:

Breakfast- 1cup of Oats and 1 apple and 1 Guava.
Lunch- 3 chapathis with Green leaves gravy.
Evening- 2 Marie biscuits and 1 cup of tea(1.5 tsp of sugar)
Dinner- 1 cup of oatmeat or 2 chapathis.
Hello,

What is your current weight & height? Also how long are you planning to continue with this diet plan?

Frankly speaking, I feel it would be very difficult to comtinue on this diet plan for long.

Also please refere to any one of the below websites for calories in individual foods:
1. www.caloriecount.about.com
2. www.livestrong.com

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote