Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 7th March 2012, 11:41   #301
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I am using a stationary exercise cycle for 30-40 minutes
What is your average heart rate while doing this?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:12   #302
Senior - BHPian

Well to anyone who says spot reduction is achievable - you need to understand why we put on fat, and how fat is metabolized (so that you get leaner).

Fats are used up as fuel ONLY in low intensity situation.

For exercises like crunches and basically any exercise that you cannot do for more than 1-2 minutes - the primary fuel used is glycogen.

When your body consumes fat, it uses fat deposits according to your genetics.
So some ppl will reduce fat on their abdomen first, for others it can be legs/thighs.
But its got nothing to do with spot reduction.

http://www.trulyhuge.com/muscle_fuel_energy.html
http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Glycogen.html

Of course if you are on a deficit diet, then both your glycogen and fat stores are tapped into - since doing high intensity exercise will deplete the glycogen - but there is not enough food to "refill" the glycogen, and thus your body resorts to using the fat.

BUT again, there is no spot reduction happening.
You can only spot reduce ATP / water / glycogen from your body - and even that gets balanced and replenished in minutes/hours.

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th March 2012 at 12:19.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:33   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Well to anyone who says spot reduction is achievable
Well, with due respect, these are different lines of thought, and for all we know both may be true or untrue. I am not really sure, hence i would talk from my experience.

As an alternative study (Danish Scientists Showed That Spot Reducing Works!).

PS: (Forgot to add), the Spot reduction does not work if you see some product being sold for reducing tummy fat only (Thats a marketing gimmick). Like for example vibrating belts which were very widely used sometime ago. But in my experience Crunches work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
In other words what @bblost (Do correct me @bblost if i have not got this right) is trying to ask is "Are you getting into target zone". Here are some pointers

Each zone offers different benefits. The most popular zone range is 50% to 80% of your maximum heart. This is where you achieve cardio benefits, burn fat, and become fitter.
  • Health Maintenance (65%-78%) – Low-intensity level training. Good if you're a beginner and strengthening your cardiovascular system.
  • Aerobic Exercise (65%-85%) – Increases strength and endurance. Burns calories faster and can be sustained during longer workouts.
  • Anaerobic Exercise (78%-90%) – Improves speed and power. This zone builds muscle faster, but cannot be maintained for long workouts.
  • Red Line (90-100%) – Maximum capacity.
Name:  findYourZonesLarge.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th March 2012 at 12:40.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:43   #304
Senior - BHPian

But Mayank, you can never substantiated that you have lost fat only from abs, while retaining that fat all over your body - because of doing only crunches.

In your case, what looks like is that your body had reached an equilibrium
Food intake = jogging effort of 8 km + badminton.

If you wish to reduce fat further, you need to either reduce food intake further or increase exercise.

By doing crunches - you have increased exercise.

Are you sure you are losing fat only from your abs, and not from legs, neck, etc?
Most visible reduction happens due to:
1. Genetics.
2. Higher fat quantities.

Fat loss from wrists/ankles is LEAST visible. But that is because there is less fat there in first place.

Regarding studies from "scientists" - I have one revolutionary study which says that lifting 30% of your maximum effort builds more proteins than lifting 90% of your maximum effort. Ever tried lifting 30% of 1-RM?

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th March 2012 at 12:47.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:10   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But Mayank, you can never substantiated that you have lost fat only from abs, while retaining that fat all over your body - because of doing only crunches.
Got it, what you are saying makes sense. I was in no way advocating stop everything else and do Crunches, rather what i was getting at is compliment whatever one is doing with Crunches.

In my case all those excersises were not helping with reduction on the abdomen area flab, and it was getting very difficult to push myself harder as i was already doing more then enough, hence i started doing crunches along with regular play or run and that helped.

So @rki2007, to reduce fat around your abdomen area you need to continue the exercises (maybe increase intensity) and supplement that with Crunches.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:59   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Got it, what you are saying makes sense. I was in no way advocating stop everything else and do Crunches, rather what i was getting at is compliment whatever one is doing with Crunches.

In my case all those excersises were not helping with reduction on the abdomen area flab, and it was getting very difficult to push myself harder as i was already doing more then enough, hence i started doing crunches along with regular play or run and that helped.

So @rki2007, to reduce fat around your abdomen area you need to continue the exercises (maybe increase intensity) and supplement that with Crunches.
Fat loss happens exactly in the reverse sequence as fat deposit.

Lets say because of your sedantry lifestyle and bad eating habits, you started accumulating fat in this sequence : tummy -> hips -> thighs -> arms.

Now by doing exercise and controlling your diet, when you start loosing fat, the sequence of fat loss would be : arms -> thighs -> hips -> tummy.

Lets say you managed to loose fat in arms, thighs and hips by following a particular exercise routine. Now you are left with the most stubborn fat deposited in the tummy area.

Now to reduce the fat in the tummy area (the first place where your body started accumulating fat), you need to further increase the intensity/duration of the exercise or add another exercise in your exercise regimen.

It may just be a coincidence that the additional exercise you started was ab crunches and you noticed improvement in the tummy area. This exercise may have been push ups / dumb bells or any other kind of exercise, you would still have achieved the same result.

It doesn't imply that ab crunches can cause spot reduction in the tummy area.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 14:04   #307
Senior - BHPian

Of course there is an additional possibility:

By doing the crunches, the rectus abdominis muscles gained ability to stay contracted, thus giving an appearance of reduced tummy.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:27   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
It may just be a coincidence that the additional exercise you started was ab crunches and you noticed improvement in the tummy area. This exercise may have been push ups / dumb bells or any other kind of exercise, you would still have achieved the same result.

It doesn't imply that ab crunches can cause spot reduction in the tummy area.
Nope, only crunches worked. Had tried weights, stepper, cycle, cross-trainer and some other equipment at Gym, before settling with the ones i regular now.

Quote:
By doing the crunches, the rectus abdominis muscles gained ability to stay contracted, thus giving an appearance of reduced tummy.
If this was the case wouldn't they come back to normal when i am not exercising (like on vacation etc)? They haven't yet.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:37   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

Sorry my exercise cycle is a basic one just with a timer and speedometer
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:51   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry my exercise cycle is a basic one just with a timer and speedometer
You can also get a watch with heart rate monitor.
Something like this Buy CW Black 2 Online - Heart Monitors - Running - Fitness - Geonaute - Decathlon

Another idea is to note the time and distance covered.

Everyday, try to cover more distance in the same period of time.

When you are cycling on this exercise bike, are you breathless.
If its simply ambling along kind of pace....its not really adequate.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 16:03   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Nope, only crunches worked. Had tried weights, stepper, cycle, cross-trainer and some other equipment at Gym, before settling with the ones i regular now.
Doing ab crunches targets the biggest muscle area of the body.

Muscles consume a lot of energy. Hence, more muscle means faster fat loss.

I'm not saying that crunches are not useful. They are very useful because they target the biggest muscle area of the body.

I'm just saying that crunches don't cause spot reduction, as is generally believed.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 16:23   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone suggest some exercise that would reduce some inches of tummy and thighs. Cycling is not helping much.
I will suggest you get a single speed cycle (preferably a roadbike) and pedal daily for atleast 20-25kms in around 75 minutes time. Drink a lot of Water along with this. Try to pedal as fast as you can. You can see benefits of this in 2 months.

That was my routine when I was in Mumbai. Lost complete fat in thighs and Belly.

Well a better alternative is swimming. Swim atleast 20laps of 50m a day (preferably continuously), fat will burn everywhere

Last edited by indian21r : 7th March 2012 at 16:30.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 16:30   #313
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my weight loss story too. Well approx 7 years back i was very regular to park. Used to reach by 5:00 and jog for 4 KMS and then gym. Had made a decent V shape body. Then came night shifts and then i was sentenced to life imprisonment till death and I got married. All these while till my memory goes i was around 84 KGS and I'm approx 5'10" in height. Then 11 months back i reached a point where i touched 91.6kgs and luckily did not die of heart attack. Called all the doc's specializing in Liposuction in Hyderabad and almost finalized one for 10liters of loss for approx 50k. Then it struck me, why not on my own.

This is the time i decided to take things seriously, started with GM diet and did it strictly, so kick started the weight loss project (WLP) with initial loss of 4-5kgs in a weeks time. Along with this started brisk walking and luckily got admission in one of the lawn tennis club (usually adults are allowed only if they are accompanying their kids). After 1 and half months reached 85 kgs and got stuck their, thought that was ideal weight and will not be able to reduce more.

In the mean time started jogging for approx 1km in my 4kms walk schedule which started having a tole on my knees. So thought about it and changed the location to sanjeevaiah park and made some changes to the schedule. Used to reach park by 5:30, warmup and walk/jog for 45 mins and then head to tennis court. Play tennis for 1hr and back home. Also started playing Table tennis in the evening for 1hr.

Slowly increased by jogging distance and now i JOG for 6km's approx (4-5 kms for sure) and walk another 4km's. Then i play lawn tennis for 1hr. Along with all this I strictly adhere to my diet by eating only fibre rich biscuits in the mornings, a bowl of fruits around 11:00AM, lunch of rice or phulkas without oil and normal dinner with 2-3 chapatis. If i over eat on some day I ensure that it is compensated on next day. Usually avoid outside spicy food but end up having it once in a week but quantity restricted.

After almost 11months of effort I'm currently around 74-75 KG's which according to me is pretty fine as I had never imagined myself around this weight even in my life.

I'm still fighting to reach 70 but finding it little difficult but not impossible. While jogging I use GPS tracking software which calculates the distance time and approx calories loss for reference.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 19:12   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I will suggest you get a single speed cycle (preferably a roadbike) and pedal daily for atleast 20-25kms in around 75 minutes time. Drink a lot of Water along with this. Try to pedal as fast as you can. You can see benefits of this in 2 months.
Some water is fine. "a lot" of water should always be taken with salts to maintain electrolytic balance. Which is why doctors always give saline solution. When we sweat, we lose water AND salt to maintain the electrolytic balance.

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 19:59   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Some water is fine. "a lot" of water should always be taken with salts to maintain electrolytic balance. Which is why doctors always give saline solution. When we sweat, we lose water AND salt to maintain the electrolytic balance.

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the info. I drink a liter of Water(With Honey and Lemon) before cycling and a liter of normal water while cycling.

I believe majority of cyclist take water with electrolyte powder to replenish the lost salts. Do Check with your doctor once
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote